Marco Bustos

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

He may be a #10 in USL but he's going to have to adapt to make it to the next level.  He was really poor last night and he was bullied anytime he competed for a ball.  I was really surprised at how invisible he was as we all know how talented he is.  

There was one play in the first half where Blas Perez took a shot instead of playing in Bustos and really being available for that ball was probably the standout moment in his performance... 

Why does he have to adapt? If the #10 is his true position why change what you are best at? The #10 and winger positions are very different.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

Why does he have to adapt? If the #10 is his true position why change what you are best at? The #10 and winger positions are very different.

That may be his best position but it's rare for a team throw a young player right into that role unless they are a special talent or they show something elsewhere, i.e. on the wing.  If he truly can be an effective #10 in MLS then he should at least be adequate on the wing IMO with the skill set required for the position.  If he's going to be a strict #10 he's not going to last long.

As a small player who thrives on technical ability he needs to show something out wide, that's where he's going to get his chances with the Caps for now at least.  I'm a little concerned at how invisible he was, maybe just like Aird he needs to adjust to the role a bit though.  

Edited by Keegan

25 minutes ago, nolando said:

I don't think Bustos is big enough, strong enough, fast enough, nor hard-working enough for this league. Time well tell.

Blasphemy! He should be getting constant minutes to develop and Robinson/whitecaps will do all they can to kill Canadians hopes and dreams..it's in their mandate . 

I actually think he will be fine once he acclimatizes, wing isn't the place for him though longterm. Problem will as discussed before be getting minutes to develop and then seizing chances he gets. He is unfortunately easily at least the 4/5th attacking option for the cm though, with good reason. 

Caught between a rock and a hard place. More USL minutes and maybe perusing Europe might be an option. 

32 minutes ago, nolando said:

I don't think Bustos is big enough, strong enough, fast enough, nor hard-working enough for this league. Time well tell.

Pirlo at Juventus did not have any of those characteristics (assuming hard-working means he never ran) and was out of this world. Perhaps he has the passing ability similar to Pirlo :P

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

The same was said about Bekker.

Lets let Bekker have a run of more than two quality games before we use him as an example of success. He has improved his skills every year and put himself in a position to get more minutes but he is in not what we should be comparing future success with.

• 3 months later...

#9 in the USL 20 under 20 for 2016.

TopDrawerSoccer.com Scouting Report
It isn’t often at this age you find a creative No. 10 who can drive a game from the pocket of space between the midfield and forward lines. That’s precisely what Vancouver has in Bustos, a Homegrown who’s gotten some minutes with the MLS side in addition to his quality outings in the USL. Bustos has the eyes of a hawk, consistently biding his time before finding a late runner or opening up the attack with a timely outlet pass to the wings. If Bustos continues developing at this pace, it won’t be long before we see him not only in MLS consistently, but at the national team level as well.

7 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

#9 in the USL 20 under 20 for 2016.

TopDrawerSoccer.com Scouting Report
It isn’t often at this age you find a creative No. 10 who can drive a game from the pocket of space between the midfield and forward lines. That’s precisely what Vancouver has in Bustos, a Homegrown who’s gotten some minutes with the MLS side in addition to his quality outings in the USL. Bustos has the eyes of a hawk, consistently biding his time before finding a late runner or opening up the attack with a timely outlet pass to the wings. If Bustos continues developing at this pace, it won’t be long before we see him not only in MLS consistently, but at the national team level as well.

I hope he can make the jump. He hasn't looked that good when he does play in MLS. Giles Barnes joining Vancouver thought puts another roadblock in his way.

3 hours ago, Vince193 said:

I hope he can make the jump. He hasn't looked that good when he does play in MLS. Giles Barnes joining Vancouver thought puts another roadblock in his way.

Is Giles Barnes not more of an out and out striker than Bustos?

I love Bustos' skill but he needs to get stronger.

3 hours ago, Vince193 said:

I see Barnes as more of a forward to replace Rivero. They are similar in size and the Caps play the 4-5-1 almost always. I don't see Bustos competing with Barnes in any way. Nico, Kianz, Techera, Manneh and even Davies(!!) are his competition.

Bustos has most of the tools but needs to get faster without the ball. I don't know what it is but even other short players like "the bug" can outrun him. Seeing him run full speed and not able to catch up to a player dribbling the ball was shocking. I know soccer isn't all about being a sprinter but he needs to improve in that area. Aside from that he has great skills and could make the jump.

4 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

Bustos is a small, very skilled central mid and that's a tough position to play unless you are very strong. You can see this weakness emerge when he plays internationally - against the England U21 and in the U20 qualifiers. His ball control and creativity is superb but he can be muscled off the ball easily and he loses every 50/50 ball. 

2 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think he alternated playing up top and behind the striker with Houston. Houston fans have said though he can't play up top alone.

14 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

Bustos is a small, very skilled central mid and that's a tough position to play unless you are very strong. You can see this weakness emerge when he plays internationally - against the England U21 and in the U20 qualifiers. His ball control and creativity is superb but he can be muscled off the ball easily and he loses every 50/50 ball. 

This is what I noticed in my limited viewings of him. Needs to get stronger, tougher and learn to use his low centre of gravity as a strength. 

• 9 months later...
22 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Talk on Twitter that he will be sold/loaned to Universidad de Chile in Santiago.

That would be a great move IMO. Universidad de Chile are a big club in the Chilean Primera division!

Canadians at Penarol, Saprissa and U de Chile would be awesome..

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

That would be a great move IMO. Universidad de Chile are a big club in the Chilean Primera division!

Canadians at Penarol, Saprissa and U de Chile would be awesome..

U de Chile are the current champions in Chile and are a much better team than the Whitecaps in every way, Bustos will be hard pressed for any minutes at all there.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Even though UdC is better than Vancouver, he'd probably get more playing time there.

I agree, I think he'll have a lot more value there.  Also thought he looked good when he came on last night, looked like he really wanted it.  

I think this is a great move.. 3 Canadians in the Chilean Primera if it happens, arguably the 3rd best league in South America.