Marco Bustos

17 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

It's too bad because Froese and Bustos were both the ones to watch for many years and it looks like both might be gone.

Though in terms of development, graduating a player that can play professionally (even if it's at a lower level that the first team MLS squad) is still a success.

Froese I believe is gone from the caps.  The German 4th div team paid development rights to the Caps as a transfer fee.  Don't think it was just a loan.

Whitecaps seem to be getting quite the rep where prospects have to leave in order to advance as a professional.

Teibert has plateaued massively after being converted to a DM. Adekugbe has made it clear he wants to move to England. Froese wanted out and transferred, where he's rejuvenated himself at Dusseldorf. Bustos seems to be frozen out. Carducci asked to leave in an effort to get playing time. Zanatta has publicly stated he had to move to Europe to advance as a pro, etc. Davies is really the only one who seems to be counted on by Robinson. 

Hopefully some of the more promising players with WFC 2 (Chung, Amanda, Baldisimo, Gardner, Norman) can break through that glass ceiling. 

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

Whitecaps seem to be getting quite the rep where prospects have to leave in order to advance as a professional.

Teibert has plateaued massively after being converted to a DM. Adekugbe has made it clear he wants to move to England. Froese wanted out and transferred, where he's rejuvenated himself at Dusseldorf. Bustos seems to be frozen out. Carducci asked to leave in an effort to get playing time. Zanatta has publicly stated he had to move to Europe to advance as a pro, etc. Davies is really the only one who seems to be counted on by Robinson. 

Hopefully some of the more promising players with WFC 2 (Chung, Amanda, Baldisimo, Gardner, Norman) can break through that glass ceiling. 

What's surprising about this is that the Whitecaps have long touted their goal of becoming one of the top clubs to develop players. Their failure isn't limited to Canadians either: Manneh, Salgado, Flores. The Whitecaps are becoming a prospect wasteland.  

Well I wouldn't go that far. It depends where the players go after leaving. I think the development of a lot of these players, and there is an increasing amount, is decent until they reach the first team.

The system should however be there to benefit the club. Seeing as the players coming through either aren't good enough or are being held back from commanding a 1st team spot the system is broken.

The second team should be helping in this regard it is still not a high enough level to match players ambitions and needs. The CPL will be potentially huge in this regard if there are to be working relationships with the mls teams.

It's always fun to beat on the whitecaps but I wouldn't say they are any worse than most other mls club's for youth development. In the end the whitecaps are mainly beating on themselves.

12 hours ago, toontownman said:

Well I wouldn't go that far. It depends where the players go after leaving. I think the development of a lot of these players, and there is an increasing amount, is decent until they reach the first team.

The system should however be there to benefit the club. Seeing as the players coming through either aren't good enough or are being held back from commanding a 1st team spot the system is broken.

The second team should be helping in this regard it is still not a high enough level to match players ambitions and needs. The CPL will be potentially huge in this regard if there are to be working relationships with the mls teams.

It's always fun to beat on the whitecaps but I wouldn't say they are any worse than most other mls club's for youth development. In the end the whitecaps are mainly beating on themselves.

CPL will be about the same level as USL for at least a few years, if not more. NASL will be roughly the CPL peak unless they get some major sugar daddies in that league. 

Whitecaps youth development seems to have prepared the kids nicely for USL. USL has only been around 2 seasons, I think the real test of the USL programs effectiveness will be after 4-5 yrs. 

But, I agree with the sentiment - historically the Whitecaps development system/academy is a failure.

• 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Has done enough in USL to move on, but the jump to MLS is perhaps to high.

I don't think the level is too high, i think MLS is just not a good fit. Bustos is too small/weak and slow to be effective in this league, but he has more than enough skill.

He'll probably land in Chile.

3 hours ago, jpg75 said:

I don't think the level is too high, i think MLS is just not a good fit. Bustos is too small/weak and slow to be effective in this league, but he has more than enough skill.

He'll probably land in Chile.

I think you agree - doesn't too small, weak and slow essentially mean the level is too high.

You can't be weak, small and slow and still be a useful pro.  2 out of 3 max, but not all 3.  Maradona for example was small and slow(ish), but he was strong as F on the ball. 

I dont think Bustos is all that slow.  He has average speed.  He could make it MLS if he had a coach who believed in him.  

12 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I think you agree - doesn't too small, weak and slow essentially mean the level is too high.

No, i don't. It's an issue of playing style/player profile. Look at the first wave of Costa Ricans who came over and weren't very successful. Or Sergio Galvan Rey, leading scorer in Colombia who couldn't replicate his scoring rate in MLS. Some of the SA's couldn't adapt to the EPL in the early days due to the hectic, chicken-with-its-head-cut-off style yet were successful in Spain or Italy.

I think if Bustos goes to Chile his lack of size and physicality would not be a hindrance. He'd fit in with his ball skills and trickery. Not sure he'd break into the U. de Chile first team right away, but a loan to a smaller club would work.

19 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

You can't be weak, small and slow and still be a useful pro.  2 out of 3 max, but not all 3.  Maradona for example was small and slow(ish), but he was strong as F on the ball. 

I dont think Bustos is all that slow.  He has average speed.  He could make it MLS if he had a coach who believed in him.  

No he's not slow, but he's at most average speed in MLS and being 5'6" 130lbs. means he's going to lose most 50/50 balls. If he had got traded to FC Dallas (could still sign there i guess) he might stand, but they're typically loaded with talent in MF.

26 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

No he's not slow, but he's at most average speed in MLS and being 5'6" 130lbs. means he's going to lose most 50/50 balls. If he had got traded to FC Dallas (could still sign there i guess) he might stand, but they're typically loaded with talent in MF.

For an attacking player, he'd be bottom 25% in MLS in terms of pace. I get where you are going with the Mauro Diaz comparison, but Bustos has never showed that level of passing ability or vision.

His ideal scenario is playing below a striker on a team that really values quick passing and possession, but the teams that play that way in MLS usually have a star in that role (Almiron, Dos Santos, etc.)

Edited by harrycoyster

8 hours ago, jpg75 said:

No, i don't. It's an issue of playing style/player profile. Look at the first wave of Costa Ricans who came over and weren't very successful. Or Sergio Galvan Rey, leading scorer in Colombia who couldn't replicate his scoring rate in MLS. Some of the SA's couldn't adapt to the EPL in the early days due to the hectic, chicken-with-its-head-cut-off style yet were successful in Spain or Italy.

I think if Bustos goes to Chile his lack of size and physicality would not be a hindrance. He'd fit in with his ball skills and trickery. Not sure he'd break into the U. de Chile first team right away, but a loan to a smaller club would work.

7 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

For an attacking player, he'd be bottom 25% in MLS in terms of pace. I get where you are going with the Mauro Diaz comparison, but Bustos has never showed that level of passing ability or vision.

His ideal scenario is playing below a striker on a team that really values quick passing and possession, but the teams that play that way in MLS usually have a star in that role (Almiron, Dos Santos, etc.)

I agree with @harrycoyster. I see what you're saying though @jpg75 about succeeding in another league, and agree. But he has to demonstrate the technical ability an vision, on a consistent basis, to be successful in any decent division. He has not to this point, but I hope he can.

1 hour ago, badname22 said:

On his latest 2 instagram stories he hints at leaving, 

Story 1:  a clip of him on the field for WFC2 doing a skill with the caption "Ciao" 

Story 2: a picture of him with a unidentifiable plane ticket and his passport. He also tagged his Agent.  

Guy was too good for USL from what i saw, I'm sure he'll find a decent club.

1 hour ago, badname22 said:

Story 1:  a clip of him on the field for WFC2 doing a skill with the caption "Ciao" 

Story 2: a picture of him with a unidentifiable plane ticket and his passport. He also tagged his Agent.  

He's going to Chicago (airline number is visable) but who knows where he going from there

49 minutes ago, Bikerack said:

Just checked his instagram profile now at marcobustos10, but don't see any posting to the stories described here.. Maybe he deleted them or is in another personal account he has (off football/soccer perhaps)?... Just curious, reason for quoting it

P.S: He seems to have a nice gf, though, lol (pic where he is standing with a chick in a shoreline with he and her with black gym suits)

Just now, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Just checked his instagram profile now at marcobustos10, but don't see any posting to the stories described here.. Maybe he deleted them or is in another personal account he has (off football/soccer perhaps)?... Just curious, reason for quoting it

P.S: He seems to have a nice gf, though, lol (pic where he is standing with a chick in a shoreline with he and her with black gym suits)

It was on that account, he must've deleted it