Keven Aleman - Thank you

tmcmurph

It looks like he had a shaky start to the season, playing in only 10 of the first 20 games of the season.  Even though the numbers aren't there, he finished playing in basically 15? straight games to end the season so he had to be playing at a decent level.  His team made the playoffs in 7th of 18 teams in their conference.

I don't think he will be around when they become MLS nor do i think he is at that level.  Probably better chance coming to CPL and being a standout up here.  According to Transfermarkt, his value is only behind Bekker, Borges & Edgar on the Forge.

Hard to believe he is the same age as Kaye.  Seems like he's been around forever.

I agree with everyone saying he won’t follow the team to MLS. Typically I think these teams bring like 1 or 2 players up, and based on his numbers he doesn’t seem like a guy that would make that jump.

Like essentially every player I have heard of, I’d of course love to see him in CPL. That’s where it is easiest to measure against others in the player pool, although at midfield the best one could hope for in the near term with regards to the CMNT would be a token invite with no chance of game time. If Borges moves up from CPL, maybe guys in USL take notice and try their hand in CPL.

The game is free on Youtube if you want to watch.  I clicked on the youtube link on the FotMob app.

Aleman has looked to be the best player this half for Sacramento.  Some fantastic crosses already this 2nd half and just hit the crossbar.  Takes all the set pieces too.

Edited by Corazon

Just now, Bison44 said:

Thats the best thing about USL, they are all on youtube. They definately are trying to get eyeballs on the games.  Aleman was looked dangerous all game.  

I also just heard the Sacramento commentators say this has probably been the best 65 minutes of Aleman's career in Sacramento.

I guess he heard us talking about him.  

He truly has been fantastic tonight.

• 10 months later...

So what's the verdict on Aleman? Most of the reviews have seemed positive but he hasn't dominated as much at this level as some might have hoped. Should he escape Edmonton, perhaps? Looking at that preseason article on him from the CPL site  histwo stated goals for this season were to win a championship and to play himself back in the the national team.

13 minutes ago, nolando said:

So what's the verdict on Aleman? Most of the reviews have seemed positive but he hasn't dominated as much at this level as some might have hoped. Should he escape Edmonton, perhaps? Looking at that preseason article on him from the CPL site  histwo stated goals for this season were to win a championship and to play himself back in the the national team.

but when this preseason article was posted? before or after covid 19 pandemic?

11 minutes ago, Dicdan said:

but when this preseason article was posted? before or after covid 19 pandemic?

March 24: https://canpl.ca/article/keven-aleman-aiming-for-canmnt-recall-north-star-shield-with-fc-edmonton 

Not ripping into him, just genuinely curious about his chances of starring in CPL. Does he need a better team around him or is he missing something attitude-wise?

He reminds me a lot of Bustos in that he has been hyped a lot at various points, pegged with a bit of a big head at times, and positionally he is very similar. They both had a sniff from a Latin American National program and, strangely, Aleman's second family name is also Bustos, apparently.

3 hours ago, nolando said:

HEHEHE, my goals used to be to marry Alysso Milano, buy the ferrari from Magnum PI and live at Southfork.  I dodged a bullet with Milano, once owned a red truck and have a nice pair of cowboy boots...whats the verdict??  Seriously, everyone wants to win, but to get back to CMNT, he would need to be a top performer in the league to be even considered.  At 26 and in the midfield, even if he was league MVP he might not get a call if we have a full camp.  

Can’t remember which game(s) but I recall seeing Aleman have pretty bad body language with teammates and some selfish on-field choices. Couple that with the story of Boakai being benched by team decision for the last game and FC Edmonton’s struggles might have been character and chemistry issues. If Aleman and Boakai are not good teammates—regardless of skill— it would be a monumentally bad decision to keep them and drop Paulus. 

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

He's been okay on a probably under-performing Edmonton side. Him and Boakai were basically okay. The only ones I'd say boosted their stock with this tournament from the Eddies were Ongaro and Didic.

Ongaro seems to be the only bright spot. Expected a lot more from Boakai and especially Aleman. 

Barring a drastic change, Ongaro needs to move out of Edmonton for next summer imo. He could certainly be a missing piece at forge or valour upfront. 

Aleman and Boakai were big disappointments imo. As @VinceA says both were okay. Neither were horrible but looked bang average for this league when they should have been MVP's. The incident with him shushing the young Edmonton player was a shocker and I am surprised nothing was said and he wasnt benched for the next game. Paulus suspended Moses after all for time wasting when substituted when  they were losing last season.

Maybe just the wrong players around him. He clearly has some talents but leadership clearly isnt one of them. 

24 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Barring a drastic change, Ongaro needs to move out of Edmonton for next summer imo. He could certainly be a missing piece at forge or valour upfront. 

Aleman and Boakai were big disappointments imo. As @VinceA says both were okay. Neither were horrible but looked bang average for this league when they should have been MVP's. The incident with him shushing the young Edmonton player was a shocker and I am surprised nothing was said and he wasnt benched for the next game. Paulus suspended Moses after all for time wasting when substituted when  they were losing last season.

Maybe just the wrong players around him. He clearly has some talents but leadership clearly isnt one of them. 

Maybe Ongaro is one of the guys heading to Germany 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

That would be immense. Didic, Ongaro and Velado-Tsegaye would be great.

Ongaro has scoring instinct, but his skill set seems to point to being a Kusch kind of player. Am I wrong? How would you rate his dribbling, passing, conditioning? Can he grow from here? 

As for Alemán, I'd give him a proper (half) season before questioning him. No friendlies and only 7 matches on a misfit team isn't much. 

56 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ongaro has scoring instinct, but his skill set seems to point to being a Kusch kind of player. Am I wrong? How would you rate his dribbling, passing, conditioning? Can he grow from here? 

As for Alemán, I'd give him a proper (half) season before questioning him. No friendlies and only 7 matches on a misfit team isn't much. 

His dribbling shocked me to be honest. He is much better with the ball at his feet than I expected and we saw a lot of him dribbling and running from deep because he got zero service. He certainly fluffed a few things but in general there is definitely more than just a lanky target man. 

3 minutes ago, toontownman said:

His dribbling shocked me to be honest. He is much better with the ball at his feet than I expected and we saw a lot of him dribbling and running from deep because he got zero service. He certainly fluffed a few things but in general there is definitely more than just a lanky target man. 

His dribbling and technique really makes him a interesting project. With the right coaching and guidance I can only hope they unlock his potential. Not taking advantage of a a tall player with his skillset would be such a waste.

31 minutes ago, toontownman said:

With some decent wingers he could be prolific. No need to dribble.