Keven Aleman - Thank you

tmcmurph

• 5 months later...

Honestly, not much of a player from what I have seen.  Apart from some good performances at youth level, has shown nothing at all.  Has always struck me as a player who thought he was better than he actually is.  Who knows...do wish him the best of luck.

26 minutes ago, SF said:

Honestly, not much of a player from what I have seen.  Apart from some good performances at youth level, has shown nothing at all.  Has always struck me as a player who thought he was better than he actually is.  Who knows...do wish him the best of luck.

I think you meant to post this in the Bustos thread.

We really need to change the "Thank you" in the subject line of the thread. I mean, where would the MNT be if he had 'chosen' to represent Costa Rica over us?! Oh the thought. Another premature anointed hero...

I remember when we were all scared he would jump to Costa rica and he was getting bragged up like the ayo akinola thread.  Glad he choose us when he could have gone to CR, and hope he lands somewhere he can play and shine.  He's still only young (23), might still surprise us.  

2 hours ago, BCM1555362349 said:

We really need to change the "Thank you" in the subject line of the thread. I mean, where would the MNT be if he had 'chosen' to represent Costa Rica over us?! Oh the thought. Another premature anointed hero...

It is like when you get a gift that may not exactly be what you wanted but its still the thought that counts. He committed to us at a time when he was a good prospect for both countries unlike a lot of other players so I will always have a lot of respect for him even if he does not fulfill his promise. Plus he is only 23 and has played in over 60 Costa Rican first division games. He could sign with a smaller team and get a lot of playing time and improve and put himself back in the picture with a big team like Saprissa and the national team in the future. There is still probably more chance he plays for us than most of the players we waste so much time and space on in the forum who are fence sitters or will only play for us if they are not good enough for their first choice. Like Borjan, Aleman could have played for a better team but we were his first choice so I will always have more respect for someone like that even if he does not end up good enough than for guys like Vittoria who are only playing for us because they were not good enough for their first choice.

The caps would be wise to take a chance on him. He does have first team experience and is still relatievly young and would not take up an international spot. He would probably be relatievly cheap also. Furthermore, if he doesn't pan out, or isn't a good fit, perhaps they can move him within MLS and get some value.

I assume their asset (aleman) has no liquidity if he remains outside of the league. Can they trade his rights?

Edited by Obinna

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The caps would be wise to take a chance on him. He does have first team experience and is still relatievly young and would not take up an international spot. He would probably be relatievly cheap also. Furthermore, if he doesn't pan out, or isn't a good fit, perhaps they can move him within MLS and get some value.

I assume their asset (aleman) has no liquidity if he remains outside of the league. Can they trade his rights?

That sounds good, but i would hate to see him rot on WC bench a la Tiebert.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

That sounds good, but i would hate to see him rot on WC bench a la Tiebert.  

Yeah he would definitely run that risk in Vancouver. On the other hand, I don't see a better path at the moment.

Does he want to (again) move to a small Costa Rican club? He's already played for 2 of the biggest 3 teams, so (further) proving himself with a small team to convince Alajuelense to take a chance? Might just be the route he takes, I think. Or, perhaps he settles into a smaller club and that's his career, he becomes a career Costa Rican premier league player.

I would hope though that his ambitions are greater than that. 

As an aside, just had a quick look at their roster (Alajuelense) and noticed a number of Honduran and Panama internationals in their ranks, added from teams like Olympia (Honduras) and Arabe Unido (Panama), as well as from overseas. With MLS now purging Costa Rica in particular for talent, perhaps it has lured other central americans to the club. Just a thought.

I hope some MLS team signs him, so he can continue his development and playing regularly (even if that means coming in as a sub). I guess he still got some upside to show, as he is still relatively young at 23 as you guys mention. If he gets signed by an MLS side, likely will be a Canadian one, but question is of the 3 sides where would he fit best????.....Sounds like the Caps are a no-no given the opinion of many of my fellow V's here, even though they own his rights... TFC, Impact???? What you guys think?? Or any U.S. MLS side I guess that is still wheeling & dealing and that have sufficient spots to accommodate him as my guessing is he would count as an international in a U.S. based team... Any of them that have extra international spots could do I guess... Would USL, NASL do him well??? 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Or, perhaps he settles into a smaller club and that's his career, he becomes a career Costa Rican premier league player.

I would hope though that his ambitions are greater than that. 

What about a middleweight South American League @Obinna ?????... I'm talking of leagues of the likes of Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Bolivia or maybe even Colombia or Chile.... I think even Paraguay could do, prolly would be a better fit than Chile or Colombia imho..  Given that the whole transfer window is open as of this month, I think a lot of the clubs from South America tend to be the most active during this transfer window I guess plus conditions of Costa Rica are very reminiscent to those of any of the aforementioned leagues , so I guess adjustment wouldn't be a problem for him as he is used to playing in such conditions and if he does well that could benefit us when we go down to Central American/Caribbean during WCQ and the soon-to-be launched Concacaf League Of Nations.. He did manage a shot on goal in the most recent friendly he played for us, yet it was a relatively weak shot as it was an easy save by the El Salvador goalie.... There was a bit of a good link-up play between him & Arfield during that sequence from what I remember

27 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

I hope some MLS team signs him, so he can continue his development and playing regularly (even if that means coming in as a sub). I guess he still got some upside to show, as he is still relatively young at 23 as you guys mention. If he gets signed by an MLS side, likely will be a Canadian one, but question is of the 3 sides where would he fit best????.....Sounds like the Caps are a no-no given the opinion of many of my fellow V's here, even though they own his rights... TFC, Impact???? What you guys think?? Or any U.S. MLS side I guess that is still wheeling & dealing and that have sufficient spots to accommodate him as my guessing is he would count as an international in a U.S. based team... Any of them that have extra international spots could do I guess... Would USL, NASL do him well??? 

What about a middleweight South American League @Obinna ?????... I'm talking of leagues of the likes of Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Bolivia or maybe even Colombia or Chile.... I think even Paraguay could do, prolly would be a better fit than Chile or Colombia imho..  Given that the whole transfer window is open as of this month, I think a lot of the clubs from South America tend to be the most active during this transfer window I guess plus conditions of Costa Rica are very reminiscent to those of any of the aforementioned leagues , so I guess adjustment wouldn't be a problem for him as he is used to playing in such conditions and if he does well that could benefit us when we go down to Central American/Caribbean during WCQ and the soon-to-be launched Concacaf League Of Nations.. He did manage a shot on goal in the most recent friendly he played for us, yet it was a relatively weak shot as it was an easy save by the El Salvador goalie.... There was a bit of a good link-up play between him & Arfield during that sequence from what I remember

I hope an MLS team rolls the dice on him too. After all, his experience with Herediano, Saprissa and Belen would trump what a typical 23 year old would have. I imagine his resume is more impressive than an NCAA grad of similar age, or a player who has only spent time in the USL. 

As for potential destinations in MLS, Vancouver hold his rights as were mentioned, so that's pressumably where he'd go (if they are willing to look at him). If we are speaking hypotheticals, Montreal would probably make more sense than Toronto or Vancouver. Probably the easiest team to get into, but honestly I don't think he'd start at any of those sides, at least at first. I still think he has potential to be starting quality in MLS down the road. Whether his style of play would be a fit I am unsure, but the offensive talent is there.

Regarding latin america, again, I think he has the talent to play in some of those smaller leagues, like Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador etc. I don't see him playing for the big teams in those leagues right now, but he has proven the ability to do so with a small Costa Rican club, so why not a Peruvian one, for example?

At the end of the day, I think it's most likely he gets picked up by a smaller Costa Rican side on a short term deal, but if he does have the opportunity to try MLS, now is the time.

Many of his ex teammates have been recently sold into MLS, such as David Guzman, Roy Miller (both at Portland) etc. They were starters and he was a squad player, but their success may bode well for his image as a Saprissa-alum, who again is only 23.

Edited by Obinna