Keven Aleman - Thank you

tmcmurph

1 minute ago, shamrock said:

With some decent wingers he could be prolific. No need to dribble. 

Tito could have been that. Boakai probably should have been. They might rectify it this close season. They have to. It might work if he stays and what would be the biggest factor would be guaranteed starting minutes. He only just turned 22, so another year in the CPL wouldn't hurt (especially if it was at Forge - boooo) vs the bench of an MLS team. 

• 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, Boominbooty said:

Aleman back in Costa Rica playing in their first division:

Which begs the question: which is a stronger league: CDN Premier League or Costa Rican Premier League? 

Not really. It's the Costa Rican league right now. But the Costa Rican league is likely at about its peak. The CPL has room for growth.

Costa Rican league. 

I just saw the Concacaf League (equivalent to Europa League/Copa Sudamerica) the other night contested by two Costa Rican teams in the final.  Deportivo Saprissa (Aleman's former team) & Alajuelense.  Our best CPL team (Forge) had a good run in the tournament this year making it to the quarter finals before losing to Haitian team Arcahaie in a shootout.  Arcahaie went on to lose to Saprissa in the semi finals 5-0.  This 2nd tier continental competition has been going on for 4 years now with 3 Costa Rican club winners and 2 Costa Rican club finalists as well.

And that is just the Concacaf League.  In the Concacaf Champions League/Cup, Costa Rican clubs are 2nd behind Mexico's complete dominance of the tournament with 6 titles and 5 runner ups.  Canadian MLS clubs have only been to the finals twice and never won the competition.  It's only been won twice by American MLS teams as well.  Comparing Costa Rican league to MLS is more comparable.  However, like many leagues we see around the world, after the top teams in Costa Rica, there is a big drop in quality in which I think the MLS is more evenly distributed in team quality.

Since the tournament changed from Cup to Champions League, there have been 12 winners, all from LigaMX, However, MLS has had 4 finalists while Costa Rica has only seen 4 semi finals.  So, yes MLS argument can be made with Costa Rica but I think we are still a little away from comparing CPL.

3 hours ago, Corazon said:

Costa Rican league. 

I just saw the Concacaf League (equivalent to Europa League/Copa Sudamerica) the other night contested by two Costa Rican teams in the final.  Deportivo Saprissa (Aleman's former team) & Alajuelense.  Our best CPL team (Forge) had a good run in the tournament this year making it to the quarter finals before losing to Haitian team Arcahaie in a shootout.  Arcahaie went on to lose to Saprissa in the semi finals 5-0.  This 2nd tier continental competition has been going on for 4 years now with 3 Costa Rican club winners and 2 Costa Rican club finalists as well.

And that is just the Concacaf League.  In the Concacaf Champions League/Cup, Costa Rican clubs are 2nd behind Mexico's complete dominance of the tournament with 6 titles and 5 runner ups.  Canadian MLS clubs have only been to the finals twice and never won the competition.  It's only been won twice by American MLS teams as well.  Comparing Costa Rican league to MLS is more comparable.  However, like many leagues we see around the world, after the top teams in Costa Rica, there is a big drop in quality in which I think the MLS is more evenly distributed in team quality.

Since the tournament changed from Cup to Champions League, there have been 12 winners, all from LigaMX, However, MLS has had 4 finalists while Costa Rica has only seen 4 semi finals.  So, yes MLS argument can be made with Costa Rica but I think we are still a little away from comparing CPL.

I just watched Concacaf League finals and noticed Kendall Waston is back with Saprissa. Considered a very good MLS CB

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I just watched Concacaf League finals and noticed Kendall Waston is back with Saprissa. Considered a very good MLS CB

Many of the best Costa Ricans that go on to play outside the country return to either Saprissa, Alajuelense or Herediano for the twilight of their careers.  After those 3 teams, there is quite a big drop in quality.

Just took a look at those squads and some of their big name players include:

Saprissa currently has:

Christian Bolanos (36) who played with Start in Norway, Copenhagen, Al Gharifa & vancouver Whitecaps.

Kendall Waston (33) who played with Whitecaps & Cincinnati

David Guzman (30) who played for Timbers & Columbus Crew

Alajuelense currently has:

Johan Venegas (32) who played for Montreal Impact & Minnesota United

Bryan Ruiz (35) who played for Gent, Twente, Fulham, PSV, Sporting & Santos (Brazil)

Junior Diaz (37) who played for Wisla Krakow, Brugge, Mainz & Darmstadt

Jose Miguel Cubero (33) who played with Blackpool

Herediano currently has:

Yeltsin Tejada (28) who has played for Evian & Lausanne-Sport from Switzerland