Keven Aleman - Thank you

tmcmurph

The amount of playing time he received at Saprissa and Herediano does not suggest that he would get a lot of playing time at the Whitecaps or another MLS team whether he is domestic or not. Occasionally a player can get lucky and find a team that needs what he offers and get a good opportunity but I suspect he would sit on the bench as much or probably more than he did in Costa Rica if he comes to MLS now. What he should do is sign for a smaller Costa Rican team or a team in a similar league and establish himself as a 90 minute starter for a couple of years, hopefully improving as a result and then attracting the interest of a better Costa Rican team or an MLS team when he is at a level he could reasonably expect to start for them.

6 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The amount of playing time he received at Saprissa and Herediano does not suggest that he would get a lot of playing time at the Whitecaps or another MLS team whether he is domestic or not. Occasionally a player can get lucky and find a team that needs what he offers and get a good opportunity but I suspect he would sit on the bench as much or probably more than he did in Costa Rica if he comes to MLS now. What he should do is sign for a smaller Costa Rican team or a team in a similar league and establish himself as a 90 minute starter for a couple of years, hopefully improving as a result and then attracting the interest of a better Costa Rican team or an MLS team when he is at a level he could reasonably expect to start for them.

Basically how I feel. Costa Rica is at least the 4th best league in the region, maybe 3rd, you do face hard teams. He chose to go to CR from being in a youth system of a strong team in Spain, so he had to be happy with returning to the country and making his career there. Everyone knows you are not going to move in the opposite direction unless you are a huge star. So he has made his bed there, and a decent pro career in any mid-level club has to be positive enough.

22 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Doesn't Aleman count as a HG and therefore domestic league wide?

I think one of the conditions is that your first pro contract has to be with an MLS team or its USL affiliate. I don't believe he ever signed a contract with an MLS team did he? 

27 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think one of the conditions is that your first pro contract has to be with an MLS team or its USL affiliate. I don't believe he ever signed a contract with an MLS team did he? 

Ah yes you would be right, he left prior to signing a pro deal.

On 2018-01-03 at 9:43 PM, Obinna said:

I hope an MLS team rolls the dice on him too. After all, his experience with Herediano, Saprissa and Belen would trump what a typical 23 year old would have. I imagine his resume is more impressive than an NCAA grad of similar age, or a player who has only spent time in the USL. 

On 2018-01-03 at 9:43 PM, Obinna said:

Regarding latin america, again, I think he has the talent to play in some of those smaller leagues, like Venezuela, Peru, Ecuador etc. I don't see him playing for the big teams in those leagues right now, but he has proven the ability to do so with a small Costa Rican club, so why not a Peruvian one, for example?

@Obinna Exactly!!!... I think he will do just well... I sure hope he finds a club shortly, within Latin America or in MLS (if possible)

On 04/01/2018 at 10:04 AM, A_Gagne said:

doesn't this expire after a few years?

I am not sure. MLS rules are somewhat confusing. People are reporting that his rights are held by Vancouver, so if they are correct then I would assume they own his rights due to this trade.

• 2 weeks later...

SACRAMENTO REPUBLIC FC SIGN INTERNATIONAL MIDFIELDER KEVEN ALEMÁN

By Republic FC Staff, 01/18/18, 4:00PM PST

The Canada Soccer's Men's National Team player spent the last four seasons playing in Costa Rica.

IMG_1537_large.JPG

Courtesy Deportivo Saprissa

Sacramento Republic FC have agreed to a USL contract with midfielder Keven Alemán for the 2018 season, with a club option for the 2019 season, pending league and federation approval.

Alemán joins Republic FC after making 17 appearances with Costa Rican side Deportivo Saprissa in the 2017 season.  The midfielder has made 64 appearances and collectively scored seven goals while playing with Costa Rican clubs Herediano, Belén and Saprissa between 2014 and 2017.

Born in Costa Rica, Alemán moved to Ontario at the age of 10 and became a Canadian national. He joined Toronto FC’s Academy before ultimately moving to the Real Valladolid Academy in Spain.  He has made numerous appearances on the Canada Soccer's Men’s National team, winning silver at the 2011 CONCACAF Under-17 Championship and representing Canada at the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Mexico, 2013 CONCACAF Men’s Under-20 Championships in Mexico, and 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Most recently, Aleman was called up for a friendly against El Salvador in October 2017.

I find this very disappointing. From a football perspective he would be better off at a smaller club in Costa Rica. There may be other reasons for moving to Sacramento, maybe the salary is better and there are more other opportunities. On the plus side at least Sacramento is one of the USL teams with a high attendance and MLS aspirations so possibly that is a factor. With the NASL demise and USL being the sole div. 2 possibly it will improve the level also but I still think it is a pretty low level for him to be playing at.

Yeah from what I have read Sacramento do have a chance at MLS expansion, but some also doubt their chances. Clearly would be ideal for him to promote to MLS with them, so to speak.

On the football side of things, on one hand I agree with Grizz that it's disappointing to see him in USL, but on the other hand I am glad he has left Costa Rica. Like I said before, he's already played for a small club and 2 of the 3 big clubs in that league, yet he still hasn't hit his stride as a pro, and at the age of 23/24, it is high time he makes an impact somewhere. I don't mind that he is taking a chance with this.

In my opinion he really needs to come in and prove he's an elite player in USL if he wants to elevate his career. It's a bit of a gamble, but it could pay off. Anything less though and yeah, he might just be CanPL bound next...

At first i was a bit disappointed, but upon further reflection is Sacramento really any lower than a small CR club? Obviously won't get the 6 games a year vs. Saprissa, Alajuela & Herediano, but on the flip side may get some USOC games...plus probably better pay and better scouted by MLS.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

At first i was a bit disappointed, but upon further reflection is Sacramento really any lower than a small CR club? Obviously won't get the 6 games a year vs. Saprissa, Alajuela & Herediano, but on the flip side may get some USOC games...plus probably better pay and better scouted by MLS.

Sacramento may not be lower than a small CR club this year if they are one of the better USL teams this year (last year they barely made the playoffs) but there is still a pretty big difference in the level of play. The better USL teams like Louisville and San Antonio might be approaching the level of the small CR teams but a league in which the best teams are equal to the worst teams of another league is still a much worse league. Yes pay and US scouting may be better at Sacramento but there is such a gap in the pyramid that is even greater now with the demise of NASL that I don't think the chances of a jump to MLS is very likely for a player entering his mid 20s. I am not begrudging him this move since he has to do what is best for him and if the pay is better he should take it. Yet I think one improves by playing at a higher level and from the perspective of being hopeful of him ever reaching the level of a useful national team player I think this is disappointing. Also I don't think Obinna is really correct to suggest that playing for a small CR club is something he has done before. He spent most of his time at large CR clubs and not getting much playing time. He had two short stints of half a season each at a smaller club where he did play. What I was hoping for was that he would go to a similar club as a real signing not a loan player and play for several years as a starter by which time I would hope he would improve enough to be interesting to an MLS club or a bigger CR club as a player who would get playing time. I don't think that will happen in USL.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Sacramento may not be lower than a small CR club this year if they are one of the better USL teams this year (last year they barely made the playoffs) but there is still a pretty big difference in the level of play. The better USL teams like Louisville and San Antonio might be approaching the level of the small CR teams but a league in which the best teams are equal to the worst teams of another league is still a much worse league. Yes pay and US scouting may be better at Sacramento but there is such a gap in the pyramid that is even greater now with the demise of NASL that I don't think the chances of a jump to MLS is very likely for a player entering his mid 20s. I am not begrudging him this move since he has to do what is best for him and if the pay is better he should take it. Yet I think one improves by playing at a higher level and from the perspective of being hopeful of him ever reaching the level of a useful national team player I think this is disappointing. Also I don't think Obinna is really correct to suggest that playing for a small CR club is something he has done before. He spent most of his time at large CR clubs and not getting much playing time. He had two short stints of half a season each at a smaller club where he did play. What I was hoping for was that he would go to a similar club as a real signing not a loan player and play for several years as a starter by which time I would hope he would improve enough to be interesting to an MLS club or a bigger CR club as a player who would get playing time. I don't think that will happen in USL.

Perhaps he would do better at another smaller club on a one or two-year contract, let's say, but the most likely best case scenario is that he either:

A) gets signed to a bigger CR club (which he's already done - twice)

B - gets signed into MLS (but he likely has a better chance of from Sacramento than Belen or equivalent).

I think a big factor is age.

At 23/24 he can try USL for a year with the hope of attracting some MLS attention. If he doesn't get scooped up, he can always go back to CR, if he wants.

Alternativly, the window for using USL as an MLS step ladder is closing quickly. Better to try this route now than waiting until he is 25-27ish.

Also, as far as I know, the only example of a player moving from CR to MLS after playing for a club NOT in the big 3 is Waston, but even he was signed to Saprissa, he was just on loan.

Edited by Obinna

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

Perhaps he would do better at another smaller club on a one or two-year contract, let's say, but the most likely best case scenario is that he either:

A) gets signed to a bigger CR club (which he's already done - twice)

B - gets signed into MLS (but he likely has a better chance of from Sacramento than Belen or equivalent).

I think a big factor is age.

At 23/24 he can try USL for a year with the hope of attracting some MLS attention. If he doesn't get scooped up, he can always go back to CR, if he wants.

Alternativly, the window for using USL as an MLS step ladder is closing quickly. Better to try this route now than waiting until he is 25-27ish.

Also, as far as I know, the only example of a player moving from CR to MLS after playing for a club NOT in the big 3 is Waston, but even he was signed to Saprissa, he was just on loan.

I think he is currently not good enough to be signed to an MLS club and I do not think he will improve playing in USL. In 4.5 years he only played a bit more than 3000 minutes in Costa Rica, a third of which was during a half season loan to Guadelupe. I think if he were to sign with a similar club and play at that level for a couple of years as a steady starter playing 1500 minutes each half season he might improve enough to sign with an MLS team or big CR team as a starter not a depth player. He might not but I think it might be possible. I do not think he will improve in the USL at that level of play. I hope he proves me wrong but I think turning 24 and signing with a USL team is probably the end of his relevance as a potential national team player.

Edited by Grizzly

5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I think he is currently not good enough to be signed to an MLS club and I do not think he will improve playing in USL. In 4.5 years he only played a bit more than 3000 minutes in Costa Rica, a third of which was during a half season loan to Guadelupe. I think if he were to sign with a similar club and play at that level for a couple of years as a steady starter playing 1500 minutes each half season he might improve enough to sign with an MLS team or big CR team as a starter not a depth player. He might not but I think it might be possible. I do not think he will improve in the USL at that level of play. I hope he proves me wrong but I think turning 24 and signing with a USL team is probably the end of his relevance as a potential national team player.

Yeah I think that argument has merit as well.

USL is a lower level than the CR league and perhaps what he needed was the consistent minutes at that level. Never considered that, but you may be right. I do think his biggest issue is not talent, but consistency. That comes with minutes.

The alternative argument, and this is how I saw it when I first saw the news, was that at least Aleman will now be at a level where he should dominate, or at least be a key player on his team. For whatever reason, that did not happen at Belen. Maybe the level was too high at the time or maybe it was something completely different, but regardless, he now has that chance to stand out in a different environment. Might be what he needs, I hope.

Sorry - but how many steps down do you have to make before you take a step up?  When he left Valladolid B in Spain he tweeted "I have taken a step back, to take a big step forward" (link below).  We were all like "great - this dude will hit it out of the park" Now he is in USL and we are like "Great, this dude should dominate".  

This kid has great experience.  He has gone from Canada to Spain to CR and now the US.  An amazing journey for a young man.  But he has got to find both stability and a platform.  He could find stability in the USL, but not a platform.  I really don't know where players go after the USL, but it is very rare that they go up.  Even if Sacremento lands an MLS team, it is a few years from playing. Plus - looking at other teams that made the leap - the majority of players do not also jump with the team. 

I am being a little harsh here, but it is because I am disappointed with a move that I see as a dead end.  I hope he proves me wrong, and lives up to the promise..

I have taken a step back , to take a big leap forward 1f44c.png and I am very happy with my decision

1 hour ago, WheatsheafSK said:

Sorry - but how many steps down do you have to make before you take a step up?  When he left Valladolid B in Spain he tweeted "I have taken a step back, to take a big step forward" (link below).  We were all like "great - this dude will hit it out of the park" Now he is in USL and we are like "Great, this dude should dominate".  

This kid has great experience.  He has gone from Canada to Spain to CR and now the US.  An amazing journey for a young man.  But he has got to find both stability and a platform.  He could find stability in the USL, but not a platform.  I really don't know where players go after the USL, but it is very rare that they go up.  Even if Sacremento lands an MLS team, it is a few years from playing. Plus - looking at other teams that made the leap - the majority of players do not also jump with the team. 

I am being a little harsh here, but it is because I am disappointed with a move that I see as a dead end.  I hope he proves me wrong, and lives up to the promise..

I have taken a step back , to take a big leap forward 1f44c.png and I am very happy with my decision

Sad but true. It will be very hard for him to climb up to MLS.

I'd be happy to see him in CPL though. It remains to be seen if that league ends up being a stepping stone to bigger leagues in the near term or not, but regardless I'd like to be able to see him play in our league once it is up and running.