Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

2 hours ago, Ruffian said:

CONCACAF Champions League Golden Boot winner, Voyageurs Cup MVP winner, CONCACAF Champions League Finals appearance, MLS Cup Champion, MLS Supporters' Shield winner, 2 Voyageurs' Cup Championships all in the past year. If you are trying to argue against praising this guy, then you are the one letting your own bias into this conversation.

That's a helluva year by any standard. 

I am not denying he is having a good year. That is obvious, he is mentally strong and, perhaps, the best TFC player in a bad season, picking up the slack from players who have really fallen off in performance overall.

I am simply arguing that there is no evidence of any interest anywhere else for this player, other than unsourced and unsubstantiated US media outlets. Saying so is nothing more than lying and/or believing falsehood. We are in the transfer season in Europe, where hundreds of teams are looking all over world to improve their squads: not one European team has thought he could be a good buy.

I am also arguing that he could not be so highly valued if he is the 13th highest paid player onthe team. And that a player making so little would be a ripe transfer target, since any offers for him from a stronger club could be made without having to break the bank. And that has not happened.

His breakout season is happening, in fact, in a very poor season for the club. If the DPs and others were doing their job, he'd probably be scoring less, you'd be hyping him less, and TFC would be in a playoff spot. You choose.

In last year's treble run, exactly how would have fans and pundits rated him in importance on the team? I think he would have been in there around 6th of the regular starters, DPs, Vazquez, keeper, Oso. That is good, but it should serve to garner a bit of perspective and stop bullshitting about the player so insistently.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is a helluva year for TWO years!! 

I mean, you are just exposing yourselves so ridiculously. You can't take two separate seasons and call it one, that is plain stupid.

Well one year is 12 months, which allows for overlap of more than one season. So while a bit misleading it isn’t as bad as you’re making out. I mean they did say year after all

But hey split it into two seasons and you can say he’s had two very good years instead of one and that increases the hype! Looks like you’re more of an Osorio fan than you thought

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I am not denying he is having a good year. That is obvious, he is mentally strong and, perhaps, the best TFC player in a bad season, picking up the slack from players who have really fallen off in performance overall.

I am simply arguing that there is no evidence of any interest anywhere else for this player, other than unsourced and unsubstantiated US media outlets. Saying so is nothing more than lying and/or believing falsehood. We are in the transfer season in Europe, where hundreds of teams are looking all over world to improve their squads: not one European team has thought he could be a good buy.

I am also arguing that he could not be so highly valued if he is the 13th highest paid player onthe team. And that a player making so little would be a ripe transfer target, since any offers for him from a stronger club could be made without having to break the bank. And that has not happened.

His breakout season is happening, in fact, in a very poor season for the club. If the DPs and others were doing their job, he'd probably be scoring less, you'd be hyping him less, and TFC would be in a playoff spot. You choose.

In last year's treble run, exactly how would have fans and pundits rated him in importance on the team? I think he would have been in there around 6th of the regular starters, DPs, Vazquez, keeper, Oso. That is good, but it should serve to garner a bit of perspective and stop bullshitting about the player so insistently.

1. Why do you care so much that there are (probably) manufactured Osorio rumours? 

2. Why do you care that Osorio is being (in your opinion) overhyped?

Thanks

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

1) how can ANYONE claim to be privy to the dealings and transfer targets of EVERY single club in Europe?

2) why would a club come in to buy the player if he will be available on a free transfer in January? They wouldn't, its bad business.

3) if you watched any TFC games last year you would know that Oso wasn't a regular starter at any point last year. The only starter that was valued lower than him by fans would probably have been Zavaletta. Oso was one of the most inconsistent players in the squad, with erratic finishing made worse by poor defensive shifts in the midfield. Mid way through last year he was publicly put to task by both OZ and Vanney to improve his  defensive play if he wanted to play in their systems, and thats exactly what he did. It may be overshadowed by the goal every other game that he's been scoring, but he has become an expeptional two-way midfielder. He always gets back in position despite being the only one of the midfield three to regularly get into the box when the ball goes wide. He's even added some bite to his tackling.

This is to say I think he could cut it in the lower half of the bundesliga, or la liga, the English championship or else a top 3 side in a country like Austria, Switzerland or Denmark. And if they did come calling I doubt you'd hear anything about it. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is a helluva year for TWO years!! 

I mean, you are just exposing yourselves so ridiculously. You can't take two separate seasons and call it one, that is plain stupid.

Whatever.  He's having a good run, regardless of pedantry.

Edited by BearcatSA

Just for the record, here is TFC GM Tim Bezbatchenko saying that Jonathan Osorio has interest from teams: 

“All of these things are in the conversation, are in play, and we’re talking. But there are a lot of clubs that are interested in him, both south and over in Europe. We want to make sure that he feels like he’s just respected, right? In either direction, whether or not he doesn’t accept an offer or we decide not to get where he needs to go — whatever it is. I want to make sure that he’s respected for the player that he is.”

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-transfer-news-jonathan-osorio/

There's legitimately no reason for Bezbatchenko to make up interest because spreading that publicly would only make Osorio more valuable and less likely to re-sign with Toronto FC at a reasonable rate. 

1 hour ago, MyNameIsMitch said:

Just for the record, here is TFC GM Tim Bezbatchenko saying that Jonathan Osorio has interest from teams: 

“All of these things are in the conversation, are in play, and we’re talking. But there are a lot of clubs that are interested in him, both south and over in Europe. We want to make sure that he feels like he’s just respected, right? In either direction, whether or not he doesn’t accept an offer or we decide not to get where he needs to go — whatever it is. I want to make sure that he’s respected for the player that he is.”

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/toronto-fc/toronto-fc-transfer-news-jonathan-osorio/

There's legitimately no reason for Bezbatchenko to make up interest because spreading that publicly would only make Osorio more valuable and less likely to re-sign with Toronto FC at a reasonable rate. 

I don't doubt Bezbatchenko's sincerity, but the legitimate reason to make it up would be if he actually does want to get rid of Osorio, and wants to get as much money for him as possible.

Okay, I admit it.

For me to get to the point where the naive and childish enthusiasm for Osorio represents everything that is illogical about Canadian soccer, well maybe my arguments in this regard are the replacement definition of "everything that is illogical about Canadian soccer". I get that someone might think that.

Just so we stay focused and the narrative remains all about Osorio, either way. I mean, he's obviously special: the only player in history to win the same cup twice in a single season.

Geesh, 2 weeks of UT taking over the Osorio thread because someone said he might have options in Europe, and some of us said he would move on because TFC wont be able to give him a raise because of salary cap.  Oh and he is having his best season ever.  it makes me wish Tg11 was back on the site.  At least some of his posts were funny...finally someone agrees with me!!  

If salary cap at TFC is an issue with giving Oso the money he feels he deserves, then what are the chances that he'll make a move within MLS vs. a move to Europe or Mexico?

Caps needs a playmaking midfielder, and we might spend a bit more on a guy like Osorio. He won't be the Messiah, but if you get a few more guys of his calibre to play alongside guys like Reyna, then we might have a team worth watching. Bring back Timmy Parker, find a proper box-to-box boss in the middle, get rid of Effie and a few other lads, and I might actually feel positive about the Caps next year.

But my money is on TFC signing him to a new deal. Not convinced that he'll get a better offer outside of MLS. If he was 21, I might suggest otherwise.

Sure, you've provided examples from multiple soccer reporters that he has interest in Europe.

Sure, you've provided a quote from his own general manager confirming that there are teams interested.

Sure, he is having a very good year and it's not out of the realm of possibility that some European teams have come by to kick the tires.

Sure, other MLS players like Mohammed Saeid, Roland Alberg, Joevin Jones, Ambroise Oyongo, João Meira, Mix Diskerud, Jack Harrison, and Cyle Larin all made similar moves just this past January.

Sure, Canadian soccer players have made the international news lately with Alphonso Davies' transfer and Jonathan David's exploits, generating even a slight uptick in the interest in Canadian soccer in some circles.

Even so, the fact remains that no team has contacted me personally to let me know that they are interested in Osorio, so until that happens I choose to believe that there is no interest at all in him.  If he doesn't sign with TFC, he better hope he can catch on with a CPL or L1O team.

10 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Sure, you've provided examples from multiple soccer reporters that he has interest in Europe.

Sure, you've provided a quote from his own general manager confirming that there are teams interested.

Sure, he is having a very good year and it's not out of the realm of possibility that some European teams have come by to kick the tires.

Sure, other MLS players like Mohammed Saeid, Roland Alberg, Joevin Jones, Ambroise Oyongo, João Meira, Mix Diskerud, Jack Harrison, and Cyle Larin all made similar moves just this past January.

Sure, Canadian soccer players have made the international news lately with Alphonso Davies' transfer and Jonathan David's exploits, generating even a slight uptick in the interest in Canadian soccer in some circles.

Even so, the fact remains that no team has contacted me personally to let me know that they are interested in Osorio, so until that happens I choose to believe that there is no interest at all in him.  If he doesn't sign with TFC, he better hope he can catch on with a CPL or L1O team.

All you are demonstrating, and those liking the post, is that you know NOTHING about how the transfer market works internationally. So the attempted irony is just a confession of ignorance, sorry to say, El Hombre. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

All you are demonstrating, and those liking the post, is that you know NOTHING about how the transfer market works internationally. So the attempted irony is just a confession of ignorance, sorry to say, El Hombre. 

So, do I have to PM you now or what's the next step?  I'm new at this.

/thread derailed.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, The Beaver said:

Caps needs a playmaking midfielder, and we might spend a bit more on a guy like Osorio. He won't be the Messiah, but if you get a few more guys of his calibre to play alongside guys like Reyna, then we might have a team worth watching. Bring back Timmy Parker, find a proper box-to-box boss in the middle, get rid of Effie and a few other lads, and I might actually feel positive about the Caps next year.

I don't think a big (or much bigger) money deal elsewhere in MLS, especially on an underwhelming and/or underachieving club, would be a good move, and definitely not to Vancouver.  I think many of the fanbase here who we talked about in the other thread will be expecting him to be "all that and a bag of chips."  I wonder how well he would handle the weight of expectations that come with a new heavyweight deal? 

11 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't think a big (or much bigger) money deal elsewhere in MLS, especially on an underwhelming and/or underachieving club, would be a good move, and definitely not to Vancouver.  I think many of the fanbase here who we talked about in the other thread will be expecting him to be "all that and a bag of chips."  I wonder how well he would handle the weight of expectations that come with a new heavyweight deal? 

If he was one mid-priced addition among several such additions then he'd be fine, I think. I think it is more likely that the Caps will go that direction anyways, rather than pay big DP dollars. But I don't think we'll ever see Oso in a Caps jersey.