Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

That was the good vs the Galaxy.  He had some poor moments, such as the giveaway deep in his own end and then getting nutmegged, leading to the cross where Kamara put it off the post, and then later he didn't compete with Kamara on his head goal off the free kick.  But I really like how he's going to the goal and that winner was a culminate of all-around good build up plan. 

Yes. This is good summary.  Up Until the moment that he had scored, i thought he was invisible and was probably the best candidate to get subbed out.

He now has ten goals in league play.  For a  midfielder, thats an incredible achievement.  It puts him in the company of someone like Valeri (10) and Almiron (11).   And until those players he has scored this much despite not taking any pk’s or free kicks.

Edited by Free kick

Not sure that Osorio was "invisible" in the first half but he was playing much deeper than normal - pretty much Bradley's role as Bradley was pushed to a back three - so much more of his job was deep lying distribution and trying to keep Jonathan Dos Santos in check when he moved forward. Post-match he said he was to blame for one of the goals against. Not sure if he means the 2nd or the 3rd. It sort of looked like Kamara was supposed to be his man on the 2nd goal but in addition to his own contribution, I question the lack of organization at the back where Osorio is picked out to be the guy who marks one of their target strikers - shouldn't that be one of the two CB's (the other on Ibrahimovic), or at the very least one of the other two defenders or even Altidore (assuming he's not marking one of the big defenders brought up from the back). It looked like there were three TFC players not marking anyone on the play and is a good example of the issues they have had back there without Moor & Mavinga playing a single league game together (at least, not that I can remember - even in the first game of the season it was Zavaleta and Mavinga).

Back to his game-winning goal though - most remarkable thing on the play was the cross by Delgado. He usually over-hits those by 5-10 yards, but this time he put it on the perfect spot, right to Osorio's on-rushing head.

12 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

the issues they have had back there without Moor & Mavinga playing a single league game together (at least, not that I can remember - even in the first game of the season it was Zavaleta and Mavinga).

Oh wow! I hadn’t realized they haven’t been on the field together in a game yet this year. I just had to check that claim and you are right. I knew they have both missed a lot of games but they have each played fewer games than I had realized, and sure enough, haven’t played together. Can we start a conspiracy theory that they hate each other?

16 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

It sort of looked like Kamara was supposed to be his man on the 2nd goal but in addition to his own contribution, I question the lack of organization at the back where Osorio is picked out to be the guy who marks one of their target strikers - shouldn't that be one of the two CB's (the other on Ibrahimovic), or at the very least one of the other two defenders or even Altidore (assuming he's not marking one of the big defenders brought up from the back). It looked like there were three TFC players not marking anyone on the play and is a good example of the issues they have had back there without Moor & Mavinga playing a single league game together (at least, not that I can remember - even in the first game of the season it was Zavaleta and Mavinga).

Back to his game-winning goal though - most remarkable thing on the play was the cross by Delgado. He usually over-hits those by 5-10 yards, but this time he put it on the perfect spot, right to Osorio's on-rushing head.

If that's Delgado doing the marking on the Kamara goal, you'd be all over that.  Yes, it certainly was an organizational issue when that kind of match up occurs but I think Osorio would himself admit that he could have done much better in competing for that cross.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

If that's Delgado doing the marking on the Kamara goal, you'd be all over that.  Yes, it certainly was an organizational issue when that kind of match up occurs but I think Osorio would himself admit that he could have done much better in competing for that cross.

Strange that you would say that when quoting a post where I point out that Osorio was potentially at fault for more than just the one goal (which was actually more than he admitted to post-game) and in which I also praised Delgado's contribution to the match! As you have often stated yourself, goals are often the result of a series of errors, that's why I said "in addition to his own contribution" (ie. his poor marking), the defensive organization overall was lacking (to put it mildly). Nobody is suggesting Osorio is blameless on the play (quite the opposite), as a TFC fan the comments about the poor (almost brain-dead) marking assignments come from frustration that our best defenders have never played with each other the whole year & the management never went out to get some replacements when they had the chance which is the one area I feel they are culpable for (particularly as I'd been calling for them to do this for quite some time before the roster freeze).

Let's put it this way, I would gladly make the same point about our crappy defense if it had been Delgado and we were posting this in the Marky Delgado thread, but unsurprisingly, there isn't one for this forum.

Edited by Gian-Luca

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Oh wow! I hadn’t realized they haven’t been on the field together in a game yet this year. I just had to check that claim and you are right. I knew they have both missed a lot of games but they have each played fewer games than I had realized, and sure enough, haven’t played together. Can we start a conspiracy theory that they hate each other?

Yeah, there's been a lot of talk about the lack of playing time that Giovinco-Bradley-Vazquez have had as a trio (less than 10% of league play apparently) but the Mavinga + Moor combo is probably the bigger factor and has gone less noticed - even though goal scoring has not been TFC's problem this year while they have one of the worst defensive records in the league and I've read are on pace for giving up the most goals in a season in the team's history. I thought those two had played the first game together but they showed a highlight of the Columbus game on TSN's highlight package last night and it reminded me that it was Zavaleta & Mavinga that night.

TFC have never had their full starting line-up for a single league game this year and often never came anywhere close to it. Even last night, assuming that their best starting line-up is a 3-5-2 with Auro out wide and Van Der Wiel in a back three with Moor and Mavinga, that was 3 starters out. Of course, we can only assume that because they have never had all players healthy at one time.

In any event, I'll leave this thread of the conversation here since we're starting to veer off the subject matter of the thread.

20 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Let's put it this way, I would gladly make the same point about our crappy defense if it had been Delgado and we were posting this in the Marky Delgado thread, but unsurprisingly, there isn't one for this forum.

No kidding, but I'll hold you to it.;)  I think we're pretty familiar enough with each other's postings on here over the (many) years.  If I ever meet you in person over a brew, I'm sure it would be quite an entertaining debate.

13 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

No kidding, but I'll hold you to it.;)  I think we're pretty familiar enough with each other's postings on here over the (many) years.  If I ever meet you in person over a brew, I'm sure it would be quite an entertaining debate.

For who? ;)

I hope that circumstances allows that to happen one day.....if you are ever in the same vicinity of the stands as me at BMO Field during a TFC game you might get taken aback by how much more unpopular Delgado is in the stands (at least where I sit) vs. how he may appear to be on these boards. He's even more disliked and harped on than Zavaleta (and I don't mean that it is me doing the harping in the stands, I'm talking about other folks sitting beside, behind, in front and all around me). This was the case before he missed those glorious chances in the Champions League but it has probably worsened since then. Case in point on Saturday as the stands were filling out I heard someone mumbling about the "fact" that if it had been Delgado striking the ball that Chapman did, it would have ended up 6 rows over the goal. While that might actually be true and is based on reasonable precedent (wrt the Champions league), that some fans were still ripping him after a game that we just won, on a goal which was somewhat inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, indicates that he's not the number one fan favourite with some people.  He tends to be a player where the mistakes are obvious but the good stuff that he does (a hell of a lot of running/covering ground, moving the ball quickly) can easily go unnoticed. I thought he played one of his better games of the season on Saturday and as I said, I think that was the best cross (on Osorio's goal, to get this mildly back on topic) he's done in his career for TFC.

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

For who? ;)

I hope that circumstances allows that to happen one day.....if you are ever in the same vicinity of the stands as me at BMO Field during a TFC game you might get taken aback by how much more unpopular Delgado is in the stands (at least where I sit) vs. how he may appear to be on these boards....

It would be entertaining for me because you bring some sense to go along with your passion in any discussion.  I can't speak for you, obviously, but you might find my input in person better than what I write here, who knows? 

With Delgado, I wouldn't be taken aback at all by the criticism I'd be hearing about him from the supporters section.  And frankly, he hasn't been good for most of the season, starting with his poor possession technique during CCL and continuing into the regular season.  And with that, the good he does is underscored in a back handed, complimentary way by the critics.  Personally, I think he fills a spot on the roster that I would prefer to be filled by a young Canadian, because I don't see him emerging as a keystone piece in a roster and I think supporting guys like him can be replaced.  I guess that when I watch players perform (especially role player types) I don't see them from a nationality standpoint.  I look at them from whether or not they are doing the job. 

• 2 months later...
Just now, Obinna said:

Would be an interesting adventure, playing in Copa Libertadores, but he'd be missing out on CCL.

Can't see it happening, but you never know. What is the benefit to Toronto?

On loan, they would get a better Osorio after the loan period. His value would increase substantially and they could outright sell him and invest the money in another player.

It's all on Osorio and how bad he wants to go. Keeping an unhappy player isn't good business either

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

On loan, they would get a better Osorio after the loan period. His value would increase substantially and they could outright sell him and invest the money in another player.

It's all on Osorio and how bad he wants to go. Keeping an unhappy player isn't good business either

How do you figure?  Playing for a smaller club? 

I think it would be a great experience but it’s unlikely to increase his value unless he tore it up.

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

That is presumptive on your part. He could also go and get injured. We don't know.

Assuming a happy, injury free loan though, Toronto lose a key player at the wrong time of the season, and with CCL a priority (along with a quicker start in the league), I think Toronto would rather have him available than not, no?

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

An unhappy player is bad for business and team chemistry. It comes down to what Osorio wants to do

You're assuming that Osorio wants to go. He just signed a new long-term deal with TFC that'll make him a millionaire. He could be fine with staying in Toronto.

If he wants to go, and TFC can reach a deal with DIM, it'll be cool to see a Canadian player in Copa Libertadores. But Zambrano himself has said that the formal offer hasn't even been made yet, so any talk of "TFC better let him go" is incredibly premature.

3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

How do you figure?  Playing for a smaller club? 

I think it would be a great experience but it’s unlikely to increase his value unless he tore it up.

Agreed. If he was going on loan to Boca, or an equally big club in South America, that may be true.

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That is presumptive on your part. He could also go and get injured. We don't know.

Assuming a happy, injury free loan though, Toronto lose a key player at the wrong time of the season, and with CCL a priority (along with a quicker start in the league), I think Toronto would rather have him available than not, no?

When does the next Copa Libertadores campaign starts? They could loan him after CCL.

Just now, Ansem said:

When does the next Copa Libertadores campaign starts? They could loan him after CCL.

I think I read March, but I scanned through the article quickly. 

A loan after CCL would me more palatable, but the ship would really have to be steady in Toronto at that point for them to loan him out, I think.