The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

I don't know if it does us any good, but I'm quite enjoying his ****e situation.

He apparently turned down the 'opportunity' to join West Brom on loan, in part-exchange for Peter Odemwingie moving to QPR. The R's owner, Tony Fernandes had earlier spoken out about not letting Hoilett leave, but someone (Redknapp) must've thought it was a good idea to shift Hoilett out - at least on loan. He's only started one game under Redknapp.

One way or another, this player could easily find himself in the Championship next year. I do like the Samba signing though - he could be the difference between relegation and staying up.

He apparently turned down the 'opportunity' to join West Brom on loan, in part-exchange for Peter Odemwingie moving to QPR. The R's owner, Tony Fernandes had earlier spoken out about not letting Hoilett leave, but someone (Redknapp) must've thought it was a good idea to shift Hoilett out - at least on loan. He's only started one game under Redknapp.

One way or another, this player could easily find himself in the Championship next year. I do like the Samba signing though - he could be the difference between relegation and staying up.

Nelsen really was the glue holding QPR defence together, esp with their ****ty FBs. Samba is just as good, in fact better defender than Nelsen, but it'll take a while for Samba to develop chemistry with his teammates. And injury to Samba means QPR is really screwed.

Nelsen really was the glue holding QPR defence together, esp with their ****ty FBs. Samba is just as good, in fact better defender than Nelsen, but it'll take a while for Samba to develop chemistry with his teammates. And injury to Samba means QPR is really screwed.

The QPR defence has been playing quite well as a whole this year (2013) keeping clean sheets against Chelsea, Spurs and Man City, better play by the fullbacks has helped the cause! Getting back to Hoilett, some fans were hoping he would go out on loan because he has been a major disappointment so far this season, to think he may have been holding out for England is laughable! Other fans are hoping this will spark some determination in him to prove that he belongs to Harry, I'm skeptical!

• 2 months later...
Can't even get regular playing time at relegation fighting QPR

A little bump to this thread:

QPR are fighting no more; they have fallen over the relegation cliff. For their crucial game Hoilett was once again on the bench. I still haven't heard anything about him playing for Jamaica (currently last of the Hex with 2 points in 3 games). Purely on paper he doesn't seem a better prospect than Simeon Jackson at this moment in time. He won't play for England. I don't expect him to declare a loyalty to either Jamaica or Canada before June 8th at the earliest.

A little bump to this thread:

QPR are fighting no more; they have fallen over the relegation cliff. For their crucial game Hoilett was once again on the bench. I still haven't heard anything about him playing for Jamaica (currently last of the Hex with 2 points in 3 games). Purely on paper he doesn't seem a better prospect than Simeon Jackson at this moment in time. He won't play for England. I don't expect him to declare a loyalty to either Jamaica or Canada before June 8th at the earliest.

As someone who watched every minute he played for QPR I can tell you Hoilett has been a total bust there as have several other expensive signings! He looked out of shape and uninterested upon his arrival and never showed anything near the form he had at Blackburn last season! Every part of his game was so poor this season I can honestly say he would not be the saviour of Canadian soccer as many think he would be! Could we use him, well we're Canada it's very hard to turn any player who has played at a high level away but I am very concerned about his attitude! If he was holding out for an England call that seems like a joke now, if he wants to go and play for Jamaica, have fun Junior, I don't think we need opportunists like him who turned his back on his country when we could have maybe used him especially with Josh Simpson being injured! I know Hoilett is young and maybe the whole disaster that was QPR this season was a poor environment for him but I personally think since he and his Dad signed the massive contract that has him set for life he has lost interest!

Edited by gator

The un-importance of Jr Hoilett :)

I know we can't be choosy but damn it is tempting to make an example of him and not call him up ever again. Don't call him ever again, let him make the call. Seriously that would be a great message.

CMNT coach: Hello

JH: Hi, JH here. Uh you have some games coming up.

CMNT coach: Yes we do. Friendlies and Gold Cup action.

JH: I didn't get a call and was wondering if my answering machine was broke?

CMNT coach: Nope your machine was working fine last time we called in 2012 ........

JH: Uhm, does that mean you don't want me for the upcoming games?

CMNT coach: Not at all but we have a full squad at the moment so I'll get back to you later.

I think we have enough strong midfielders to choose from at the Championship and League One levels that we can, in fact, turn Hoilett down.

As much as I would like to turn down all traitors, Canada isn't in a position to turn down 22 year old players of his talent level.

I doubt refusing Hoilett a position on the team would not have much effect on future prospects with dual citizenship. If we do ever deny him a position, I hope it would be done to preserve team morale. Giving Hoilett a position in place of someone who's expressed commitment and dedication could possibly be a great betrayal. Especially if he were to get booed, which I do think could happen if he ever played for Canada. Could you imagine getting snubbed for a guy your own fans hate? Commitment matters, not simply for individual performance but for longterm development of the program. I don't think Hoilett could possibly offer enough individual talent to balance his outlook on the team. From this perspective I think it's obvious: snub him before his snubs us again.

I found an article from sportsnet regarding hoilett. I'm sure most of you have seen it. I thought this little section was interesting. I was wondering if anyone things there's much credibility to it these days.

"But this is all moot: England doesn’t call players who qualify purely on residency acquired through football. Born elsewhere and grew up in England, sure: moved to the UK just for the football, no dice. And they’ve had chances – when you’ve got the best league in the world in your backyard, there’s a lot of talent hanging around for a long time.

''Consider: When Rangers’ Nacho Novo was being pumped up for selection to Scotland’s national team, it emerged that a “gentleman’s agreement” existed among the home nations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) that a player should at least have a grandparent from that country to qualify for selection. Novo never suited up for Scotland. Neither, subsequently, did Spanish-born Manuel Almunia or Mikel Arteta for England, despite interest and (technical) availability. Hoilett falls in the same category – only in England for his career, and lacking blood ties to the country."

I doubt refusing Hoilett a position on the team would not have much effect on future prospects with dual citizenship. If we do ever deny him a position, I hope it would be done to preserve team morale. Giving Hoilett a position in place of someone who's expressed commitment and dedication could possibly be a great betrayal. Especially if he were to get booed, which I do think could happen if he ever played for Canada. Could you imagine getting snubbed for a guy your own fans hate? Commitment matters, not simply for individual performance but for longterm development of the program. I don't think Hoilett could possibly offer enough individual talent to balance his outlook on the team. From this perspective I think it's obvious: snub him before his snubs us again.

The side of me that is interested in the expression of character wants to agree with this. On the other hand, are our players not supposed to be professionals and be able to deal with a situation (almost any situation really) where 'their' position gets taken by a more talented player? I realize there could be issues with this as well ... you bring in a player with gobs of talent but lacks commitment and ends up being a drag on the team for example ... but still, if Hoilett were willing to commit going forward, was playing regularly at a high level and coming into his potential, I don't see how we could deny him.

We have 105 pages on this thread about how important he is for the national team (most of the comments are in favor of him joining Canada) and now that circumstances are making it more probable that he joins Canada (granted it's too late for Brazil 2014, but still), you guys want to be picky. He's young and really talented, if he wants to commit to Canada for the Gold cup, I'll be the first to be happy with his decision, it can only be positive for the future.

If he wants to play for Canada, it would be wise to at least see how he meshes with the team. Yes, he is still young and would have be worth checking out. (Hell, he's got more upside than 90% of our current group. Only question: does he have the right attitude?)

If he wants to play for Canada, it would be wise to at least see how he meshes with the team. Yes, he is still young and would have be worth checking out. (Hell, he's got more upside than 90% of our current group. Only question: does he have the right attitude?)

My worry now is that he's the ytpe of Player Uncle Fester likes and he might end up at Elland road. Last thing I want there are any more non-tryers.

Club over country? too right !