The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

English have never (apparently) capped a player without a blood line.

Is it just me or isn't that something they should find embaressing? The idea that a snake like Owen ********** is more English because of his horse**** blood then a young and successful immigrant who's lived their since he was 13 is just... (insert rant here)

If this is at all true or even an actual 'point' in Engand, I hope to god he gives them the finger rather then a phony feel good moment about 5 decades too late.

Edited by Juby

John Barnes explained (from the article quoted by Footscary)

Other than birthplace, parents or grandparents players can only represent one of the home nations if they have had five years of continuous education up to the age of 18 in that country.

I think it's clear Jr won't be playing for England. It's Canada or Jamaica, who ever does better over the next 4 games.

John Barnes explained (from the article quoted by Footscary)

Other than birthplace, parents or grandparents players can only represent one of the home nations if they have had five years of continuous education up to the age of 18 in that country.

I think it's clear Jr won't be playing for England. It's Canada or Jamaica, who ever does better over the next 4 games.

Well, it's quoted from Hoilett himself that he would seriously consider playing for England. So I don't think it's THAT clear. You never know till you KNOW

Well, it's quoted from Hoilett himself that he would seriously consider playing for England. So I don't think it's THAT clear. You never know till you KNOW

Well that quote was his response to an interviewers question, and said interviewer is likely not an expert on eligibilty, so how can you put much stock in that?

I do not want to give Junior any ideas, so i won't post what just occurred to me. If he had a lawyer with even half a brain they would be able to get him eligible for England, but not through the residency rules.

lol please keep it to yourself and never talk of it.

Well that quote was his response to an interviewers question, and said interviewer is likely not an expert on eligibilty, so how can you put much stock in that?

I put more stock into Hoilett's quote than the interviewers' question, is how I'll respond to that. Perhaps Hoilett isn't an expert in eligibility either, but if HE thinks the possibility exists, rules from England's side can always change. They have before, they have the potential to change in the future. Hoilett hasn't ruled it out, and there is no guarantee that England has either.

I put more stock into Hoilett's quote than the interviewers' question, is how I'll respond to that. Perhaps Hoilett isn't an expert in eligibility either, but if HE thinks the possibility exists, rules from England's side can always change. They have before, they have the potential to change in the future. Hoilett hasn't ruled it out, and there is no guarantee that England has either.

Fair enough to focus on Hoilett's quote. To me though, his answer does not sound off alarms. It is easy to imagine a guy, who has lived in England since he was 13, giving an answer like that. I view that as pretty normal given his circumstances, and I am sure most people would answer the same way if they were in his shoes (besides us hardcore fans of course).

I would have been more worried if he gave a "Jono" type of response and said: My goal is to make the England squad.

Then again though, Jono never started talking like that until he had the passport, so who knows what will happen. All I know is that I will truely lose hope when/if we hear talk of him trying to get a UK passport. Until then Hoilett is still in the back on my mind.

I

Just did a quick search, you are right from what I can tell. His dad was actually born in T&T strange enough, and unsure of his wife. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/colonel-ken-barnes-trinidadianborn-military-leader-and-father-of-the-footballer-john-barnes-1670450.html

So, how do we explain this one? There appears to be a precedent for capping non English bloodline, but perhaps they have only recently tightened up on this (Arteta). Or, perhaps they are willing to make an exception for Commonwealth countries? Too bad we never had the insight of a Brit here.

As I understand it Barnes would fit in, the rule does not specify you need to have a bloodline, bloodline is one avenue but the rule also states that a player must have lived in the country for a minimum of 5 years as a school boy. So Barnes seems to fit under that avenue and Hoilett with Germany does not. Just my understanding as I've seen it posted on this board before but I'm no expert.

*edit as is pointed out by mserson a few posts above.

Edited by villus

I think Hoilett being at QPR is the best club in England from our prospective and for Hoilett tbh. Hoilett chose QPR because he has a relationship with Hughes, hes said Hughes was very important to his development while at Rovers and gave him confidence and allowed him to play free and with creativity, this is good for Hoilett having his managers trust and confidence and hopefully showing that on the field and probably a very good chance he is a lock in the starting 11 most nights. Also Hughes is Welsh so he will understand representing Canada a country on the fringes of world soccer, also having a few Canadians in the youth system as well as Bircham all are bonuses.

Guest Brethers
As I understand it Barnes would fit in, the rule does not specify you need to have a bloodline, bloodline is one avenue but the rule also states that a player must have lived in the country for a minimum of 5 years as a school boy. So Barnes seems to fit under that avenue and Hoilett with Germany does not. Just my understanding as I've seen it posted on this board before but I'm no expert.

*edit as is pointed out by mserson a few posts above.

I think Barnes qualified because his dad was in the Jamaican army and so through commonwealth connections he was entitled to a British passport. I believe he could have chosen any of the home nations. It was something peculiar like that anyways

• 3 weeks later...
Everytime Canada plays well and we think we have a chance of getting jr. Something happens!!! Damn Jamaican win over the US
Yeah, but the goal isn't to secure Hoillet's services, but to get to the World Cup. We just took a small step in the right direction, and that is all that matters.

Does anyone really think he's considering Jamaica? I thought it was down to Canada or some weird long shot at playing with England.

For Hoilett, It's not going to be who gets to World Cups, it's who gets to world cups with consistency. Jamaica has a decent squad, but were going to see the fruits of the Academy boom 5-7 years from now. That's gonna be a huge factor as we will be way better than Jamaica soon enough.

Does anyone really think he's considering Jamaica? I thought it was down to Canada or some weird long shot at playing with England.

But his father (based on rumours on here) is pressuring his son to choose Jamaica over Canada. I personally believe Hoilett is hoping to play for England someday.

If it's between Canada and Jamaica he needs to decide soon as it's possible he could only have one World Cup to think about after 2014 (he'd be 32 in 2022 and players with his attributes don't age well). If he chooses to be a small fish with England it's a different story with Euros think about as well.

Not overstate it--our is it an understatement?--but the importance of Hoillet diminishes with every win we notch without him. And like a wise fellow said here, in 5 - 7 years we will see a boom of higher quality players who have emerged from academy programs, not to mention some very nice prospects such as Piette, Aleman, Cavallini et al.

For Hoilett, It's not going to be who gets to World Cups, it's who gets to world cups with consistency. Jamaica has a decent squad, but were going to see the fruits of the Academy boom 5-7 years from now. That's gonna be a huge factor as we will be way better than Jamaica soon enough.

Yes but according to the Jamaican forums, Jamaica will see the fruits of the new development guidelines for academies in England.

How lovely that they get to feed off another country's system. If that is the case then I sure hope TFCA, Caps Rez, and Impact Academy churn them out like crazy. Apparently the Caps Rez U14s are absolutely amazing, or maybe it was U16s. Someone shed some light on that please.

And in regards to the thought that with each win Hoilett becomes less important, I still disagree. Having him on the team would simply add another offensive threat, and the more the merrier.

Of interesting note, Roy Hogson has moved swiftly to call up 17 yr old Raheem Sterling who was born in Jamaica but moved to England at 5 yrs old. It was announced the day before he was called up that the Jamaican FA were to hold talks with Sterling, who played a part in Liverpools first 3 premier league games this term. Its interesting to the Hoilett situation because it shows that England is not above trying to cap tie eligible young prospects who are on the fence, and this would be a big talent for Jamaica to have in their program which would no doubt make t hem stronger going forward as well, which could influence his decision towards Jamaica. Also Hoilett and Sterling play the same position, I think this just reinforces that Hoilett is not eligible for England, overall this is a promising occurrence for Canadian soccer in a few ways.

Sterling has been in England's youth squads, has been there, as you said for 12 years, and as such more than satisfies the residency and schooling requirements. Sterling is only similar to Junior in that they are born in another country. Sterling is more like Jono, than he is Hoilett.