The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

If Jamaica get any of the Canadians it will really hurt our program, losing 2 quality players to a direct rival is a double negative since they will be much stronger in qualifying. Sterling and Dyer could also be pretty big boosts to their program, especially Sterling who could be a really good player for 15 more years. I want to cheer for Jamaica but because of those factors I really want them to fail, they could set themselves up to be much better for the next 2 cycles which directly hurts our chances a lot.

JDG2 will not play of Jamaica and neither will Sterling because of the English FA. There are quite a few other young players no one is talking about, Nigel Neita and Zavon Hines for example we could work into the squad. We've got to temper our desires to add players with the fact that we need to maintain team chemistry and cohesion.

A Jamaican is a Jamaican is a Jamaican.

When it suits them of course... otherwise they would have been part of the Jamaican team since the beginning of qualifying. Turns out Jamaica and Canada aren't all that different after all.

Ya I don't think there is any realistic chance Sterling plays for Jamaica or Jono. Hoilett I think hes probably 75% if they make the WC and probably something like 25% to commit to the Hex. The others I don't really see why they wouldn't commit to Jamaica tbh unless they have no desire to play international football or make a world cup. If one of Jono, Hoilett or Sterling buck the trend and decide to commit to Jamaica now they increase their chances of making the WC greatly and if that happens then all bets are off, players may jump at the chance to play in a World Cup and the program would have very good chances at making future WC's as well.

After reading through 30 pages of this thread, it's very simple:

- Junior really wants England

- zero interest in playing for Canada right now and until next WCQ cycle rolls around

- there's maybe a 50% chance he plays for Jamaica in the World Cup. He won't be joining them for the hex (why? see #1)

- if he doesn't get the call up to England in the next three years, then we can get excited again for 2018 WCQ cycle. until then, it's Junior who? as far as the CMNT is concerned

He was an unused sub in the England v Ukraine WCQ game in September so I'm with you Keegan.

Just the fact that he was called for that game was Hogson and the FA telling him loud and clear that he has a future with England, if he wasn't born in Jamaica I don't think there is any way he gets called.

Dyer Hoilett Sterling

----Jono-Mcanuff-McCleary

There starting midfield and forwards could be completely made up of guys who never lived in Jamaica (other than Sterling up until he was 5) and guys who never touched the Jamaican program.

Jamaica could also have Sturrage as well (not that I think he will commit, but he is eligible). That would drop Hoilett to the bench in that formation, which is very scary.

If Jamaica had all those players they would be stronger than the USA on paper, but the chemistry issues would negate their strong home form, so they would be on par.

Of course that is fantasy, because I doubt they get Dyer, Sturrage (who was not on the list of players to visit IIRC), and Sterling. Jono is not even in the conversation, which is strange, but perhaps they are couting players who have shown interest. Hoilett maybe, but I have a hunch that he wants to play for either England or Canada. I don't get the sense he is beaming with enough Jamaican pride to play for them. Being proud to be ethnically Jamaican is one thing, but being proud enough to travel there 4 or 5 or 6 times a year from the UK in the middle of your club season is another. I don't know what jahmanagain's take on this is, but I am sure the Jamaican NT only wants players who are committed in the long term. If they don't advance from the HEX with their new recruts who joined the program to play in a WC, some (perhaps most) may no longer have a desire to get called in. With that, they have missed an opportunity to give important minutes and experience to players who are in it for the long haul.

Edited by Obinna

Jamaica could also have Sturrage as well (not that I think he will commit, but he is eligible). That would drop Hoilett to the bench in that formation, which is very scary.

If Jamaica had all those players they would be stronger than the USA on paper, but the chemistry issues would negate their strong home form, so they would be on par.

Of course that is fantasy, because I doubt they get Dyer, Sturrage (who was not on the list of players to visit IIRC), and Sterling. Jono is not even in the conversation, which is strange, but perhaps they are couting players who have shown interest. Hoilett maybe, but I have a hunch that he wants to play for either England or Canada. I don't get the sense he is beaming with enough Jamaican pride to play for them. Being proud to be ethnically Jamaican is one thing, but being proud enough to travel there 4 or 5 or 6 times a year from the UK in the middle of your club season is another. I don't know what jahmanagain's take on this is, but I am sure the Jamaican NT only wants players who are committed in the long term. If they don't advance from the HEX with their new recruts who joined the program to play in a WC, some (perhaps most) may no longer have a desire to get called in. With that, they have missed an opportunity to give important minutes and experience to players who are in it for the long haul.

Sturridge already cap tied to England but have been all over Jamaica TV and media saying that he would have played for Jamaica if the chance came - which I think its pure bull, but hey. I have concerns about the chemistry and thus would rather take a second tier player (Humphrey, McCleary etc) who are 100% with the program - players in the mold of Mariappa and Nosworthy are the ones I would go after - afterall this is Concacaf and if we cant finish atleast 4th in our group with those guys, do we really deserve to go to the world cup? I think McAnnuf will come aboard as is family is quite prominent in Jamaica and have spent quite a bit of time down there. I am concerned about his commitment and attitude though, as after his one call up as a 23 year-old he then retired from international football because of some spat with the prior JFF regime.

Edited by jahmanagain

Strurridge was born in Birmingham, England. I presume any Jamacian connection is through his Parents. The argument working the other way round for a change.

Raheems Sterlings bio from Wiki is below.

Sterling grew up in the Maverley area of Kingston, Jamaica and was raised by his grandmother. At the age of five Sterling emigrated to London, England with his mother. Once arrived, he attended Copland High School in Wembley, North West London.

Apparently the vist of Jamaican Captain Horace Burrell, may have put the FA on alert for retention of Sterlings services but he's been dressing for England since he was 16 so he's been in their plans for some considerable time. Also dressing a 17 year old for the bench as a full international at 17 is also not Uncommon in England. Rooney and Owen were 17. Walcotte was 19. Oxlade-Chamberlain has already has made 9 appearances and is still only 19.

Reading a Cap-tie into Sterlings progession may be justified, but probably not a determining factor.

Whats missing in this is the Update of his Prodgeny... 17 with Three Kids from two Mothers (all English born)... NOW thats a Strike rate!

Strurridge was born in Birmingham, England. I presume any Jamacian connection is through his Parents. The argument working the other way round for a change.

Sterling grew up in the Maverley area of Kingston, Jamaica and was raised by his grandmother. At the age of five Sterling emigrated to London, England with his mother. Once arrived, he attended Copland High School in Wembley, North West London.

Apparently the vist of Jamaican Captain Horace Burrell, may have put the FA on alert for retention of Sterlings services but he's been dressing for England since he was 16 so he's been in their plans for some considerable time. Also dressing a 17 year old for the bench as a full international at 17 is also not Uncommon in England. Rooney and Owen were 17. Walcotte was 19. Oxlade-Chamberlain has already has made 9 appearances and is still only 19.

Reading a Cap-tie into Sterlings progession may be justified, but probably not a determining factor.

Whats missing in this is the Update of his Prodgeny... 17 with Three Kids from two Mothers (all English born)... NOW thats a Strike rate!

Jesus, hopefully that talent carries him places because he doesn't seem to be the brightest... ahaha.

Oh, Wiki....

LOL. Apparently "growing up" encompasses ones pre-school years and upon emigrating to the 1st world shoots one straight into high school.

Maybe I just being niggly but....

I've got friends of the family who regularly holiday in Jamaica. I'm suspect that their pasty white asses have over the past ten or twelve years spent more time on that island than Mr Sterling did during his "growing up".

LOL. Oh, boy.

Oh, Wiki....

LOL. Apparently "growing up" encompasses ones pre-school years and upon emigrating to the 1st world shoots one straight into high school.

Maybe I just being niggly but....

I've got friends of the family who regularly holiday in Jamaica. I'm suspect that their pasty white asses have over the past ten or twelve years spent more time on that island than Mr Sterling did during his "growing up".

LOL. Oh, boy.

The irony here is the lad has shown some loyalty to Jamaica while your two best players who have spent more time in their home land have shown none footballwise.

The irony here is the lad has shown some loyalty to Jamaica while your two best players who have spent more time in their home land have shown none footballwise.

I'm assuming Your looking at this from a Jamaican standpoint. If so Is Sterling view as been disloyal to his place of birth? Would this too have been the case with John Barnes a generation ago?

I'm assuming Your looking at this from a Jamaican standpoint. If so Is Sterling view as been disloyal to his place of birth? Would this too have been the case with John Barnes a generation ago?

I am a realist when it comes to situations like this and if I was Sterling the choice is easy -- suite up for England. Sterling and Barnes were/are can't miss prospects for England so it would be stupid for them not to play for England. JDG2 and Junior have no real shot at playing for any of the marquis nations yet the refuse to play for Canada - that's the difference.

I am a realist when it comes to situations like this and if I was Sterling the choice is easy -- suite up for England. Sterling and Barnes were/are can't miss prospects for England so it would be stupid for them not to play for England. JDG2 and Junior have no real shot at playing for any of the marquis nations yet the refuse to play for Canada - that's the difference.

Junior can't play for England so I don't think we will ever find out. If he was eligible I think he'd have an outside chance, but I don't think he'd be an England regular. Hes still fairly young and still has a lot to learn Sterling is younger and has a lot of potential but hes probably not better than Hoilett right now imo. I would'nt go tooting your own horn too much, Jamaica hasn't had situations similar to JDG2, Hoilett or ********** reversed or young talents with choices up until Sterling that have committed to you that I can recall and Sterling probably is going England. We are in the same boat my friend, if you guys get Hoilett then obviously thats a pretty big point in Jamaicas favor.