Kevin Blue named CSA General Secretary and CEO

narduch

1 hour ago, RS said:

There's a very realistic and specific scenario in which winning would be detrimental to the CSA. As mentioned, winning hasn't helped the financial situation over the past three years, so there's definitely precedent.

Also a very specific scenario in which our teams had to play out of country due to the pandemic and players rebelled against the federation.

55 minutes ago, red card said:

The notion winning will compound financial woes also fails to take into account winning is part of gaining back trust. It has been a top 5 driver of increasing fandom in Canada. Financially, it means getting paid more for friendlies, getting better teams for home friendlies, getting better crowds paying healthy ticket prices for home matches, more jersey sales and more brand activation opportunities for sponsors.

See if you followed Canadian soccer that would make sense to you.  Westhead seemingly doesnt and keeps giving us these insinuating articles that someone at CSA is doing their damnest to run up the credit card bill on dollar store crap.  Whereas all of us look at the COPA and qualifying as a huge watershed moment and not some sort of albatross around our neck that will drive us into bankruptcy if we win against Argentina/Peru/Chile.  The article could have been "Canada on brink of huge INT breakthrough!!"  Getting these kinds of games are things all the fans have been howling for and 100% could lead to better things for the soccer in canada.  

And yeah, releasing a rehash of his last several stories with a stupid "winning in the copa could be bad for us" twist on it to coincide with Blue and his first big deal is shitty.  Thats front page news on TSN..yay you got your clicks.   He could have done a story about the copa, new shirts, blue turning a corner for csa etc, but thats not what he cares about.  

I personally don’t take offence at the timing. It’s intelligent because I think it’s just another ongoing file for Westhead. He’s got dates diarized and reports in cycle for engagement on his “hot” topics. 

The problem with this article that crosses a line that he has never crossed previously is that it hints to the general public that they should not be cheering for our men’s national team. That notion is false and easily debunked. And I know @RSyou’ll jump in and say “oh but he never said that!” but that’s the honest truth and it’s right in the headline. If we do well we could go bankrupt …. Kinda like the women suing for $40 million. Westhead started with an angle that everyone was hard done by and now “shockingly” he’s thrown the men under the bus while not reporting on anything with the women and their pay. It’s horseshit false journalism and if you’re a fan of the Canadian men’s national team there’s no way you can defend it. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I personally don’t take offence at the timing. It’s intelligent because I think it’s just another ongoing file for Westhead. He’s got dates diarized and reports in cycle for engagement on his “hot” topics. 

The problem with this article that crosses a line that he has never crossed previously is that it hints to the general public that they should not be cheering for our men’s national team. That notion is false and easily debunked. And I know @RSyou’ll jump in and say “oh but he never said that!” but that’s the honest truth and it’s right in the headline. If we do well we could go bankrupt …. Kinda like the women suing for $40 million. Westhead started with an angle that everyone was hard done by and now “shockingly” he’s thrown the men under the bus while not reporting on anything with the women and their pay. It’s horseshit false journalism and if you’re a fan of the Canadian men’s national team there’s no way you can defend it. 

Agree with the implicit argument.  Moreover, name a team and members who are thrilled with their federation?  

…. 🦗 

I don’t begrudge him the platform or the content but man oh man, his own employer has purposely scuffed soccer support for years 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

But seriously - I’d imagine that sponsorships from us being in the copa alone will cover any expenses in relation to the tournament on our end even if we crashed out. 

No, they won't, since sponsorship revenue goes to CSB not the CSA.

56 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What incentive would he have to want the public to not cheer for the men’s national team?

It wouldn’t be coming from TSN, who hold the rights to the next two major tournaments that the MNT will be in (assuming they beat T&T, obviously). Canada pulled in huge ratings in Qatar during crap viewing hours, you’d have to think a Copa America and World Cup in prime time will be even bigger for TSN.

I’m not sure this theory holds water for me.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

What incentive would he have to want the public to not cheer for the men’s national team?

It wouldn’t be coming from TSN, who hold the rights to the next two major tournaments that the MNT will be in (assuming they beat T&T, obviously). Canada pulled in huge ratings in Qatar during crap viewing hours, you’d have to think a Copa America and World Cup in prime time will be even bigger for TSN.

Negative publicity is still publicity…. Whats that old saying.

His negative articles may still drum up interest in watching the men on TSN. 

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Negative publicity is still publicity…. Whats that old saying.

His negative articles may still drum up interest in watching the men on TSN. 

I suppose.

Maybe that’s why his biggest stories have been on the NHL, Hockey Canada and the CFL. All TSN properties.

25 minutes ago, RS said:

The timing and content has nothing to do with Westhead. It's the unnamed source(s) that wanted this out there at this time.

3 hours ago, RS said:

Because for years on this board many have bemoaned the CSA not being held accountable by the media, and now that the more prominent investigative sports journalist in Canada comes along there’s some very negative reaction to it.

I am going to try and keep out of this one because I haven't done the reading, financial and sex scandals hold no interest for me at all. 

But I do find the quote above interesting and definitely think it is true, especially the first part.

Maybe I'm wrong, but is there something to be said about how soccer now has a profile high enough to be worth attacking?  Is there a newfound positivity in that?  Just ponderin'

8 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but is there something to be said about how soccer now has a profile high enough to be worth attacking?  Is there a newfound positivity in that?  Just ponderin'

Its not like he hasnt been banging this gong for the last 2 years, but yeah just about when the men started to make waves.  But a lot of it is lazy one sided reporting that doesnt stand up to any scrutiny.  Success at COPA could hurt CSA financially........ Hmmm really???? It might cost us some money to potentially have one of our biggest moments on the world stage??   Move the needle in public/corporate opinion in a positive way, attract duals, maybe a sweet new coach???  That would be bad???   Go f#ck yourself, who are you trying to sell that story to??  The same soccer hating crowd that always shits on canada soccer??  So tired of this, why do we tear each other down??   Cant the new Pres announce himself and the new shirts without Johnny Jurkoff trying to get his 5min of limelight with the same stuff he has been rehashing over and over.  

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

who are you trying to sell that story to??  The same soccer hating crowd that always shits on canada soccer?

Is that still even a factor?  I would have thought that in days of old that the Euro/SA soccer snob was a bigger Canadian soccer hater issue than non soccer fans.

Also I would have thought that much of that was put away the time when Tim and Sid interviewed Herdman and he told the haters if you don't like it get the hell out of the way cuz we're doin' it (moving forward).

If one wants to know what illogical hate is all about try being a CFL fan, you get it from multiple sources.

37 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I think that misses the point. Westhead is lending support to the elite few involved in the sport that have actually managed to make a decent living while attacking a league that has faced opposition every step of the way and hasn't yet received acceptance from mainstream media

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

No, they won't, since sponsorship revenue goes to CSB not the CSA.

Not sure why that angle seems to be so difficult for some people on here to grasp. More games means greater expenses but a flat fee received from CSB on sponsorship revenues means there is no guarantee of extra revenue for the CSA when extra interest is generated in the national team programs. That's why any sensible negotiation in that context should have also factored in a percentage of the take over a certain threshold so that the fiscal relationship between CSB and the CSA would not become a parasite and host scenario.

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Is that still even a factor?  I would have thought that in days of old that the Euro/SA soccer snob was a bigger Canadian soccer hater issue than non soccer fans.

Also I would have thought that much of that was put away the time when Tim and Sid interviewed Herdman and he told the haters if you don't like it get the hell out of the way cuz we're doin' it (moving forward).

If one wants to know what illogical hate is all about try being a CFL fan, you get it from multiple sources.

so true

Edited by gigi riva

Rick Westhead is such an awful journalist.  He paints a narrative without divulging obvious facts.  

"If Canada beats T&T and wins 2 games at the Copa it could cost them 600K!"

OK Rick, on what planet is Canada not advancing to the quarter finals if they win 2 games at the Copa.  That 1.5 mil for the quarters is going to be a lot higher this year with the tournament in the US.  

He could have easily said if Canada wins 1 game at the Copa it would cost them 400K and if they failed to get out of the group.  If they manage to get out of the group they will be money to the good with prize money for the quarters likely far greater than the 1.5 mil received for quarter final teams at the last Copa.

I can't stand Rick Westhead.  

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

To be fair, in a group of 4, It is possible to have 3 teams on 2 wins and 1 loss and one team with 3 losses. 

I still think Westhead is a wind up artist on this subject.

Yes, but theoretically possible, but almost certainly won't happen when one of those teams is Argentina!