Friendly: Japan vs Canada - Friday, October 13th - 6:35am Eastern / 3:35am Pacific - Niigata, Japan

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Great talent. And boy la Real is playing well, really exciting what they could do in Europe this year.

Loved watching them beat RB Salzburg yesterday, not many teams/franchises I hate more than those Red Bull clubs. Some fun other players on that Sociedad team, too

22 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

No , an under 23 years old squad plus Vitoria the goalkeeper Hoilett Osorio  and Caballini that's it

Well I have learned my lesson when it comes to speaking for you. 

Needless to say I disagree. No, we shouldn't call an under 23 squad against that Japanese squad. We'll get spanked. I know the result doesn't matter, but our top players need this game to gain more experience against top nations. We've only played a handful of games against elite teams. 

21 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

No, I meant an under 23 squad with only a few veterans ,  this match is a dead rubber.  the Canada Football olympic squad plus 3 or 4 over age, mates 

You've repeated the term "dead rubber" twice and both times entirely incorrectly.

Maybe look the term up first.

Edit. A friendly is never a dead rubber. It could be called "meaningless" or similar, but a dead rubber is when, in a tournament with a series of games, the trophy or winner has been decided but the last scheduled game or games are played anyways. Happens in cricket. Used to be in Davis Cup they'd still play the last singles as an exhibition even if one team had the three points. If the Blue Jays lose today (hope not!) and they decided to play the third game in Minneapolis anyways, for the fans, as a fundraiser for a cause even, that would be a dead rubber.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Anyways, to not give Javi action he ill deserves, friendlies aren't even "meaningless".

They prep a team. They can bring new faces in. It's our first post Herdman match and starts a new era. There are FIFA ranking points available. What's more, we're making an appearance fee, probably a few hundred thousand over and above covering costs. 

Then, to counter misled suggestions we should take a B or young team, we likely signed an agreement obliging us to field an A team. The appearance fee often conditions this within realistic possibility.

This is all besides strengthening the Canada football brand in Japan where seeing Davies, and a few others (Johnston maybe) is a motivator for fans as well.

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

My wife says he looks like he belongs in the Yakuza.

He totally does, and with that bald head he looks way older than he actually is (25).  And he's a very good striker/forward (Japan doesn't have a classic number 9), but if they play their best lineup, he won't see the pitch and probably neither will the other Celtic players (maybe Furuhashi).

I'll be honest, that Japanese roster is daunting - there is no one missing from their A team, except for Daniel Schmidt (GK).  Maybe Kamada (MF, Lazio) deserves to be on the team too, but he wouldn't be a starter anyhow.

That said, if there's any team that can match up with Japan, it's us.  We have size and speed and can counter rapidly, which is a defensive weakness for them (along with set pieces).  They're also not great in breaking down a low block, which I assume is where we'll be much of the time.  But from a technical standpoint, they are a very accomplished side.  And that opportunistic high press of theirs will cause us all sorts of grief if we dawdle at the back.  Definitely going to be a challenging game (especially if we play our U-23s).

Ed: Also notice Ritsu Doan is not in the squad - but between Asano, Kubo, Junya Ito and Mitoma, I don't think he'll be missed much.

Edited by GasPed

12 hours ago, GasPed said:

He totally does, and with that bald head he looks way older than he actually is (25).  

I'll be honest, that Japanese roster is daunting - 

Ed: Also notice Ritsu Doan is not in the squad - but between Asano, Kubo, Junya Ito and Mitoma, I don't think he'll be missed much.

You're right.  Ito gets a bit overshadowed on this team, playing at Reims.  He carried the team in the last 20 minutes or so in a couple of WC qualifying matches.

Every time I see Maeda, Tim Booth (of the band James) pops into my head.

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 22.07.01.png

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 22.06.41.png

Edited by vancanman
because I'm stupid and I'm typing without my glasses

I am really excited to see Luc de Fougerolles accept a callup.  I suspect it will be a chance for him to see what the team is about.   

At some point Milan Borjan has to be phased out.  I appreciate what he done in the past, but his limitations were on full display in Qatar.  It is time to let Max Crepeau or Dayne St. Clair take over.

I also am surprised by the selection of Harry Paton.  I was expecting Mathieu Choiniere.

Just now, trc2014 said:

Hey wait… Borjan, Hoilett and Vitoria are on here! Haha

Not surprised by the other two but Hoilett probably could have been left off for another winger I.e. Corbeanu, Nelson or Shaffelburg.

LDF… cool but Kennedy and McGraw are two players actually playing at pro first team levels. 

Paton could have been Batyrev or Froese but it’s nice to see him called.

Mark Anthony Kaye. Blackballed by the CSA? This is getting weird especially now that he’s bounced back in MLS.