Are we over-rating ourselves?

MrR

I think everyone knows what team we are. We have the two best players in the conference, a few other very good players and a big drop off with our depth. We’re good enough to beat any team in concacaf on any given day but there are better teams than us as a whole. We’re improving as a team and this is our strongest team yet. No clue why this needs to be rehashed every three weeks, at this point it’s got to be a degradation fetish or something to keep talking about how much better other teams are than us.

41 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

We have the two best players in the conference, 

Says who?

Thank you for highlighting exactly what this thread is addressing. A statement like that is exactly the same as the CSA proclaiming that the CMNT are "The Kings of CONCACAF." Subjective at best. Perhaps if CONCACAF established an award similar to that of France Football's Ballon d'Or for players from CONCACAF, then such consensus would be far more credibility, no? Just like the Ballon d'Or award, a similar CONCACAF Golden Ball award could be awarded to a CONCACAF player based on his performances for domestic or foreign club, as well as those achieved for his national team.

I wonder if sports writers and journalists, representing every country in CONCACAF, would agree with your selections for the two best players in CONCACAF for the past season?

21 minutes ago, MrR said:

Says who?

Thank you for highlighting exactly what this thread is addressing. A statement like that is exactly the same as the CSA proclaiming that the CMNT are "The Kings of CONCACAF." Subjective at best. Perhaps if CONCACAF established an award similar to that of France Football's Ballon d'Or for players from CONCACAF, then such consensus would be far more credibility, no? Just like the Ballon d'Or award, a similar CONCACAF Golden Ball award could be awarded to a CONCACAF player based on his performances for domestic or foreign club, as well as those achieved for his national team.

I wonder if sports writers and journalists, representing every country in CONCACAF, would agree with your selections for the two best players in CONCACAF for the past season?

You typed a lot of words here brother. Too many for you to not have even mentioned a single concacaf player better than our best. 

9 hours ago, MrR said:

30-06-1957  Mexico vs Canada  3-0  Estadio Olimpico

04-07-1957  Mexico vs Canada  2-0  Estadio Olimpico

05-09-1972  Mexico vs Canada  2-1  Estadio Azteca

27-10-1976  Mexico vs Canada  0-0  Estadio Nemesio Diez

22-10-1977  Mexico vs Canada  3-1  Estadio Universitario

16-11-1980  Mexico vs Canada  1-1  Estadio Azteca

06-12-1983  Mexico vs Canada  5-0  Estadio Revolucion

10-05-1986  Mexico vs Canada  3-0  Estadio Azul

06-10-1987  Mexico vs Canada  4-0  Estadio Nemesio Diez

25-04-1994  Mexico vs Canada  4-0  Estadio Azteca

18-07-1993  Mexico vs Canada  8-0  Estadio Azteca

02-03-1997  Mexico vs Canada  4-0  Estadio Azteca

15-08-2000  Mexico vs Canada  2-0  Estadio Azteca

10-09-2008  Mexico vs Canada  2-1  Estadio Victor Manuel Reyna

29-03-2016  Mexico vs Canada  2-0  Estadio Azteca

07-10-2021  Mexico vs Canada  1-1  Estadio Azteca

Games played - 16

Games won - 0

Games tied - 3

Games lost - 13

Goal for - 5

Goals against - 46

Why would that have any relevance to our current team? I’m not convinced this isn’t an attempt at a troll thread to get reactions. 

9 hours ago, MrR said:

To even consider entertaining the thought of being the Kings of CONCACAF shouldn't we at the very least first win a game in the Estadio Azteca? Or anywhere else in Mexico for that matter? In the 66 years since we played our first match down there, we are still winless in Mexico.

When is the next time Canada's going to play at the Azteca? Likely 2028 at the earliest because neither team has to qualify for the next World Cup and Mexico doesn't even play at home unless they are forced to (just like Canada, really).

So are you going to stay on your bullshit for at least another 5 years?

2 hours ago, RS said:

When is the next time Canada's going to play at the Azteca? Likely 2028 at the earliest because neither team has to qualify for the next World Cup and Mexico doesn't even play at home unless they are forced to (just like Canada, really).

So are you going to stay on your bullshit for at least another 5 years?

Getting back on topic, "are we over-rating ourselves?" What do you think? Do you agree with the CSA's proclamation that we are the "Kings of CONCACAF?" Or do you agree with most who have posted on this thread that this is not the case?

Edited by MrR

7 hours ago, narduch said:

Better to ignore MrR. Our newest troll

this from a poster who, judging from both his prodigious post count and the fact that I notice him react generously to innumerable posts, seems to read everything with a grain of optimism, and general bonhomie?

ok I am convinced.  fun while it lasted.

12 minutes ago, eramosat said:

this from a poster who, judging from both his prodigious post count and the fact that I notice him react generously to innumerable posts, seems to read everything with a grain of optimism, and general bonhomie?

I'm more pessimistic than you will believe. 

MrR is trolling us hard and it's working. 

17 minutes ago, eramosat said:

And this coming from a guy who refers to one of our players as a platinum blondie. I get you twitter types have a hard-on for negativity but I’d at least expect you to have a little common sense

2 hours ago, phresh said:

And this coming from a guy who refers to one of our players as a platinum blondie. I get you twitter types have a hard-on for negativity but I’d at least expect you to have a little common sense

This from a guy who...

I don't have anything actually. It just seemed like this was meant to continue.

15 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

You typed a lot of words here brother. Too many for you to not have even mentioned a single concacaf player better than our best. 

Okay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the "We have the two best players in the conference" refers to Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David.

I agree with the choice of Davies, as being one of the top 2 players from CONCACAF. However, I rate Mexico's Santiago Gimenez much higher than David. Gimenez is a year younger. He has won more silverware than David, a total to which he could add the Gold Cup later today. In addition, if he doesn't get transferred from Feyenoord this summer, he will be competing in the group phase of the UEFA Champions League. He's a powerful striker who scores at a rate of just a shade under a goal every 2 matches. And best of all his transfer price at 25M Euros is a bargain compared to the 60M euros asking price for David.

Edited by MrR

3 hours ago, MrR said:

Okay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume the "We have the two best players in the conference" refers to Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David.

I agree with the choice of Davies, as being one of the top 2 players from CONCACAF. However, I rate Mexico's Santiago Gimenez much higher than David. Gimenez is a year younger. He has won more silverware than David, a total to which he could add the Gold Cup later today. In addition, if he doesn't get transferred from Feyenoord this summer, he will be competing in the group phase of the UEFA Champions League. He's a powerful striker who scores at a rate of just a shade under a goal every 2 matches. And best of all his transfer price at 25M Euros is a bargain compared to the 60M euros asking price for David.

David had more goals (and more goals per game) in a better league last year. Also won Ligue 1 recently. Since when does costing less mean he’s better? In that case, Terran Campbell must be better than both because he costs way less than both.

6 hours ago, MrR said:

Santiago Gimenez?! Okay this guy is a troll. Do you also rate Diego Lainez over Alphonso Davies? 

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

David had more goals (and more goals per game) in a better league last year. Also won Ligue 1 recently. Since when does costing less mean he’s better? In that case, Terran Campbell must be better than both because he costs way less than both.

Inglewood Jack asked for my opinion, which I gave. Obviously, you disagree with my opinion. Fair enough. To your first point, 10 of David's goals 24 goals in Ligue 1 came from the penalty spot. All 15 goals scored by Gimenez in the Eredivisie came from open play. He doesn't take penalties for Feyenoord. Ligue 1 and the Eredivisie are ranked equally, and Gimenez's team won the Dutch title tis year, and thus he will be playing in the group phase of the Champions League this upcoming season. As to the price-tag, since 25M is less than 60M, Gimenez is a better bargain, as more clubs looking for a striker with tighter budgets, like Manchester United or Bayern Munich, will be able to afford him.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Santiago Gimenez?! Okay this guy is a troll. Do you also rate Diego Lainez over Alphonso Davies? 

Am I not allowed to have my opinion on this board?