Are we over-rating ourselves?

MrR

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I honestly don't even know what we are arguing about at this point. 

Someone is trying to argue that Mexico beating us at home before colour television existed and some dutch team winning champions league when smoking while pregnant was encouraged is somehow indicative of Canada not being the best team in Concacaf. Weird, I know.

On 7/15/2023 at 7:05 PM, narduch said:

I'm more pessimistic than you will believe. 

MrR is trolling us hard and it's working. 

I'll give up my whatever to allow Narduch free rein, in whatever state he likes.

MrR is definitely working hard, maybe less working.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:38 PM, dyslexic nam said:

The “failure” of Nations League was losing in the finals to the regional powerhouse with 10x our population.

The population thing is an advantage, but we shouldn't be using that as an excuse. For things like CPL never becoming as big as MLS, sure. For our national team performances? No.

Belgium's population is about a quarter ours, and our population is 10x Croatia's. Population is important, but it's not something that can't be overcome, besides I think our population is at the level of "big enough to not be a problem".

On 7/17/2023 at 9:50 AM, Alex said:

1. A new topic starting with a ridiculous question.

2. Posting a chart or results with no context. 
3. A Dutch reference. 
4. the username. 

I needed the list of Mexican results before I thought it was him at all. When others brought it up before I thought they had miscategorized him. You pointing out the Dutch reference, and him continuing on about the Dutch wins in the Champions League in the past confirmed it for me.

35 minutes ago, Kent said:

The population thing is an advantage, but we shouldn't be using that as an excuse. For things like CPL never becoming as big as MLS, sure. For our national team performances? No.

Belgium's population is about a quarter ours, and our population is 10x Croatia's. Population is important, but it's not something that can't be overcome, besides I think our population is at the level of "big enough to not be a problem".

Yeah, the population thing is an overused argument. I'd add that our B team would wipe the floor with the combined XI of China, India, Indonesia and Pakistan, making up a population of 3.3B. The losing to the regional powerhouse part is correct, though.

5 hours ago, MrR said:

The longest unbeaten streak in international soccer by a host nation versus a rival is:

74 years, 11 months and 3 days.

What's your point? What are even the teams involved in that streak?

USA hasn't beaten Canada in Canada since 1997. What can we conclude from that? Panama has never beaten us in Canada, with the first game being in 1996. Jamaica has never beaten us in Canada either, with the first game back in 1992.

You are a fan of long useless data dumps, so here is one for you. Canada has never been beaten by any of the teams listed below (regardless of home, away, or neutral), and the number of years since our first game is listed next to some of them (because this is too useless for me to go through with doing it for all of them). What can we learn from this other than nothing?

Aruba - 2 years
Austria - 17
Azerbaijan - 7
Bahrain - 1
Barbados - 19
Belize - 19
Bulgaria - 9
Cayman Islands
Curacao
Cyprus
Dominica
French Guiana
Ghana - 38
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Libya
Luxembourg
Malaysia
Moldova
Northern Ireland - 28
Paraguay - 37
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Singapore
Suriname
Switzerland - 21
Ukraine
US Virgin Islands
Uzbekistan
Venezuela

1 hour ago, Kent said:

What's your point? What are even the teams involved in that streak?

USA hasn't beaten Canada in Canada since 1997. What can we conclude from that? Panama has never beaten us in Canada, with the first game being in 1996. Jamaica has never beaten us in Canada either, with the first game back in 1992.

The point of posting the list of all the matches that Canada has played in Mexico, against Mexico, is to highlight that Canada's winless streak in Mexico currently (as of today) stands at 66 years, 0 months and 19 days.

Now consider the following, which RS subsequently pointed out in this thread:

"When is the next time Canada's going to play at the Azteca? Likely 2028 at the earliest because neither team has to qualify for the next World Cup and Mexico doesn't even play at home unless they are forced to (just like Canada, really)."

If RS turns out to be correct, it would extend Canada's winless streak in Mexico to 71 years. Now suppose that Canada and Mexico are not drawn against each other in that World Cup qualifying cycle, or if they are, and Canada fails to win the match in Mexico, would another 4 years pass before Canada gets another opportunity to play Mexico, in Mexico? If that were to be the case, Canada's winless streak in Mexico would stretch to 75 years, and thus break the current record of 74 years, 11 months and 3 days.

The International Federation of Football History and Statistics and Guinness World Records are both presently verifying the existing record. Perhaps, the CSA might want to consider arranging a friendly match in Mexico for our golden generation in the not  too distant future, as we may never get a better opportunity to avoid setting or breaking a new Guinness World Record?

Edited by MrR

1 hour ago, MrR said:

The point of posting the list of all the matches that Canada has played in Mexico, against Mexico, is to highlight that Canada's winless streak in Mexico currently (as of today) stands at 66 years, 0 months and 19 days.

Now consider the following, which RS subsequently pointed out in this thread:

"When is the next time Canada's going to play at the Azteca? Likely 2028 at the earliest because neither team has to qualify for the next World Cup and Mexico doesn't even play at home unless they are forced to (just like Canada, really)."

If RS turns out to be correct, it would extend Canada's winless streak in Mexico to 71 years. Now suppose that Canada and Mexico are not drawn against each other in that World Cup qualifying cycle, or if they are, and Canada fails to win the match in Mexico, would another 4 years pass before Canada gets another opportunity to play Mexico, in Mexico? If that were to be the case, Canada's winless streak in Mexico would stretch to 75 years, and thus break the current record of 74 years, 11 months and 3 days.

The International Federation of Football History and Statistics and Guinness World Records are both presently verifying the existing record. Perhaps, the CSA might want to consider arranging a friendly match in Mexico for our golden generation in the not  too distant future, as we may never get a better opportunity to avoid setting or breaking a new Guinness World Record?

This is so dumb. Youre trying to stir up drama that is still 9 years away from happening. 

Here is one quick example. Luxembourg has never beaten England and I know they played in 1950. They'll hold the record long before we do. There's surely tooooons of other examples like this. 

Stop being a troll. 

33 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Here is one quick example. Luxembourg has never beaten England and I know they played in 1950. They'll hold the record long before we do. There's surely tooooons of other examples like this. 

Great example Andy. I like it. However, let's set the bar a wee bit higher, okay? Say a rivalry of a minimum of 16 matches or more played between 2 rival footballing nations. Surely, even you, could not call England vs Luxembourg a rivalry, could you? Although if you insist, the World Cup match between Hungary and the Dutch East Indies, played on June 5, 1938, dates back even further and would be a hard record to beat, no?

However, the current record of 74 years, 11 months and 3 days, consists of two rival countries, and it took 25 matches before one of them was able to break a duck in the other's country.

Just to save Kent a lot of time, the winless record of 74 years, 11 months and 3 days consists of the 25 matches played by Mexico and the United States, between September 12, 1937 and August 15, 2012, when the United States finally broke a duck at the Estadio Azteca, with a 0-1 victory over Mexico. Can't wait for the day when Canada does the same. However, for that to happen would require the CSA to have that same desire.

Why can't the CSA arrange a pair of home and home friendlies with Mexico? I have no doubt that a match in such a series would be a sell out anywhere in Canada. And it would be so nice not to have the fucking United States involved in such a series of matches. Can you imagine a match in Canada featuring Alphonso Davies, Jonathan David and Santiago Gimenez, the three best CONCACAF players facing off against each other? Now that's a mouth-watering proposition, no?

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Looking at the thread title, I mean, the team has lost every game this year to countries not named Gibraltar and Noa Lang gets minutes. So maybe.

We are talking about the Dutch team being overated right?

I don't think many here understand why this thread exists

15 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Looking at the thread title, I mean, the team has lost every game this year to countries not named Gibraltar and Noa Lang gets minutes. So maybe.

We are talking about the Dutch team being overated right?

The Dutch have pretty much been over-rated their entire existence.