07-10-2021  Mexico vs Canada  1-1  Estadio Azteca

Games played - 16

Games won - 0

Games tied - 3

Games lost - 13

Goal for - 5

Goals against - 46

The past is the past  move on 

^ I have it in my head that 1-1 draw at Azteca in 1980 was a late, very late, Mexican goal on a ' keeper error.  Could be right out to lunch on that but that's what's in my head.

The world of football has changed so much over the last 30 years it's ridiculous to even consider anything as old as that, or older, as being in anyway relevant.  Pre-history stuff.  Interesting but irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

I wasn't sure at first. 

But once he said a Mexican striker that plays in Holland is better than David that confirmed it for me.

1. A new topic starting with a ridiculous question.

2. Posting a chart or results with no context. 
3. A Dutch reference. 
4. the username. 

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

1. A new topic starting with a ridiculous question.

2. Posting a chart or results with no context. 
3. A Dutch reference. 
4. the username. 

Do any of us do this sort of thing elsewhere. Maybe it’s fun 

46 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I know football economics are wild, but one would not normally argue that because the item is cheaper, it must be better.

that's what we're talking about

overrate /ˌəʊvəˈreɪtɪd/ v.tr. assess too highly.

Edited by MrR

22 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

One decent (or amazing) season in the Eredivisie does not a top striker make.

Just ask Spurs, Vincent Jansen and his 27 goals.

Bwahahaha

(Sorry that was mostly just for my own amusement)

I've been talking about Santiago Gimenez. A 22-year-old CONCACAF player, who in his first season in Europe scored 15 goals in the Eredivisie, 5 goals in the Europa League, and 2 goals for Mexico at the Gold Cup, one of which was the Championship winning goal. He now gets a chance to show what he can do in the group phase of the UEFA Champions League, where anything is possible. Just think what a goal in a 1-0 victory over Real Madrid would do for his career.

Edited by MrR

7 minutes ago, MrR said:

I've been talking about Santiago Gimenez. A 22-year-old CONCACAF player, who in his first season in Europe scored 15 goals in the Eredivisie, 5 goals in the Europa League, and 2 goals for Mexico in the Gold Cup, one of which was the Championship winning goal. He now gets a chance to show what he can do in the group phase of the UEFA Champions League.

I know, I was talking about a player that scored 27 goals in one season in the same league...which is more. And then was pretty embarrassing at a higher level.  Much to my enjoyment.  Rating players off one season is pretty silly.

(He ended up spending time in Mexico with Monterey coincidentally.)

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I know, I was talking about a player that scored 27 goals in one season in the same league...which is more. And then was pretty embarrassing at a higher level.  Much to my enjoyment.  Rating players off one season is pretty silly.

(He ended up spending time in Mexico with Monterey coincidentally.)

Yeah, we’re definitely going to need to see a bit more from Giminez before putting him into the same tier as Jonathan David- 15 goals in one season in the Netherlands is fine, but I’d like to see him make a move to a better league, even France, to show him really test himself. 15 eredivisie goals is probably closer to Ugbo’s 16 Belgian goals than it is to David’s 24 French goals (and his two other very good seasons too). I mean hell, he’s got a ways to go to reach the Cyle Larin tier, let alone get spoken about in the same breath as concacaf’s best.

his goal last night will help his career, but by the looks of him coming on close to the final whistle, it seems the Mexican staff doesn’t entirely disagree with me that he still has more to prove before establishing himself as a star.

41 minutes ago, MrR said:

I've been talking about Santiago Gimenez. A 22-year-old CONCACAF player, who in his first season in Europe scored 15 goals in the Eredivisie, 5 goals in the Europa League, and 2 goals for Mexico at the Gold Cup, one of which was the Championship winning goal. He now gets a chance to show what he can do in the group phase of the UEFA Champions League, where anything is possible. Just think what a goal in a 1-0 victory over Real Madrid would do for his career.

To rate a player on a hypothetical scenario that you make up is silly. Imagine David scores a double hat trick in the champions league final vs man city!! 

Also, a 1-0 goal against madrid wouldnt have that big of an impact unless he was putting in great performances in every other game as well. 

Castellanos scored 4 against madrid, is young and already on an upward swing and he'll likely end up at lazio. A decent move but a player who scouts think can consistently score 4 against madrid would go to a top top team. One great performance doesnt change your career path if the rest of your games are no where near that level. 

8 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

To rate a player on a hypothetical scenario that you make up is silly. Imagine David scores a double hat trick in the champions league final vs man city!! 

Also, a 1-0 goal against madrid wouldnt have that big of an impact unless he was putting in great performances in every other game as well. 

Castellanos scored 4 against madrid, is young and already on an upward swing and he'll likely end up at lazio. A decent move but a player who scouts think can consistently score 4 against madrid would go to a top top team. One great performance doesnt change your career path if the rest of your games are no where near that level. 

We know a 1 goal performance against Madrid wouldn’t change much. Larin had a goal and assist against Barcelona and teams are still trying to nickel and dime RV for his services. 

Overrated?! Perhaps to the few that bought into the Kings of CONCACAF Crap. We finished Second in the Nations League losing away to the US. We brought a B- team to the Gold Cup and lost away to the US. All the last couple months has taught us, is that we are not as good as the US when we play in the US.

Edited by johnyb
Punctuation

37 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah, we’re definitely going to need to see a bit more from Giminez before putting him into the same tier as Jonathan David- 15 goals in one season in the Netherlands is fine, but I’d like to see him make a move to a better league, even France, to show him really test himself.

How many times have French clubs won the 150px-Trofeo_UEFA_Champions_League.jpg ?

1 hour ago, MrR said:

How many times have French clubs won the 150px-Trofeo_UEFA_Champions_League.jpg ?

Not sure, but all I know is the last time a dutch club made the champions league final was during the Clinton administration's first term. It's clear that the soccer world has agreed by consensus that the Eredivisie is decades past its prime. This aint exactly your dad's Ajax here. 

Edited by InglewoodJack