Canada Pre-World Cup "friendlies" thread: news, gossip and speculation.

Califax

Found the article that keeps being referenced, my interpretation sounds like the CSA must have pitched Vancouver but Iran asked for Toronto based off the two answers below - I've linked the article at the bottom.

* Only discussions about the stadium being finalized in Canada remain?
The stadium debate over the game against Canada is almost certain and will be decided tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, after which we will announce the other two games.

* Skocic's view is that given the distance to Canada, it makes sense for two pre-season games to be played.
Yes. That's right. We talked about friendly matches with two other countries so that we can play games in Canada, but they are talking about stadiums because there is a long distance between Canadian cities and we are going to fly for five or six hours and return to Qatar for the second game. We are finalizing the contracts and we will announce the final ones in the next one or two day

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/1823602/ایران-کانادا-قطعی-دو-بازی-دیگر-اعلام-می-شود

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

There would be two obstacles keeping a potential Iran friendly from happening at BC Place:

1. The artificial turf

2. Iran playing in Qatar (or anywhere else on the other side of the Atlantic) in June. 

If 1 isn’t a problem for the Iranians and 2 is not actually happening, then it would be all clear for BC Place. If either 1 or 2 are an issue, BMO Field or Stade Saputo would be the venue.

5 hours ago, Califax said:

For the rest of Canada, this is the perfect quote to describe Torontonians. 😃😃

The rest of Canada of course would prefer games NOT be located near them, making Torontonians unique in this way.  I get it.

- The Centre of the Universe

Any chance the CSA is delaying a friendly announcement until after tickets go on sale for the Curacao game?  Think about it: you get everyone to buy up the match against a much less sexy opponent thinking it's their only opportunity, and then announce a more marquee match up.  Now people have to buy a second match rather than picking just one. 

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Any chance the CSA is delaying a friendly announcement until after tickets go on sale for the Curacao game?  Think about it: you get everyone to buy up the match against a much less sexy opponent thinking it's their only opportunity, and then announce a more marquee match up.  Now people have to buy a second match rather than picking just one. 

If we have to undertake these types of shenanigans to sell out two games, it’s a good indication that we should put games in two different cities. 

2 minutes ago, Califax said:

If we have to undertake these types of shenanigans to sell out two games, it’s a good indication that we should put games in two different cities. 

Agreed, I don't think there is some underlying strategy by the CSA.  It would also be extremely disrespectful to the fans.

More like this:

CSA intern: hear me out - we don't announce the friendlies until a week before the game.  Then, fans will be in a mad rush to secure tickets, they'll click the submit button repeatedly and we can charge them five times for the tickets.

CSA:  Huh? What are these friendlies you are talking about?  Can we do those?

As much as I would like to see Iran out in BC place (for selfish reasons), it would be cool for them to play in Toronto. Biggest opponent of the June window in the biggest market. It just feels right. Albania at Stade Saputo beforehand and then nations league vs Curacao out in Van and boom we have the cross country celebration tour we deserve, hitting the 3 biggest metros in the nation. I would be happy with that.

Edited by Obinna

Iran originally wanted the match (if it happens) with Canada to be played in Qatar.  Canada insisted on the match being played in Canada. All of this according to Iranian press.

Another article mentioned that the location of match was being negotiated which makes me think Iran was not happy with the original location.  I can see Iran saying, if you want this match being played in Canada, we will only play in Toronto (grass surface etc).

16 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Found the article that keeps being referenced, my interpretation sounds like the CSA must have pitched Vancouver but Iran asked for Toronto based off the two answers below - I've linked the article at the bottom.

* Only discussions about the stadium being finalized in Canada remain?
The stadium debate over the game against Canada is almost certain and will be decided tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, after which we will announce the other two games.

* Skocic's view is that given the distance to Canada, it makes sense for two pre-season games to be played.
Yes. That's right. We talked about friendly matches with two other countries so that we can play games in Canada, but they are talking about stadiums because there is a long distance between Canadian cities and we are going to fly for five or six hours and return to Qatar for the second game. We are finalizing the contracts and we will announce the final ones in the next one or two day

https://www.varzesh3.com/news/1823602/ایران-کانادا-قطعی-دو-بازی-دیگر-اعلام-می-شود

Either set it for BMO Field or Rogers Centre 

6 hours ago, Buchta said:

Iran originally wanted the match (if it happens) with Canada to be played in Qatar.  Canada insisted on the match being played in Canada. All of this according to Iranian press.

Another article mentioned that the location of match was being negotiated which makes me think Iran was not happy with the original location.  I can see Iran saying, if you want this match being played in Canada, we will only play in Toronto (grass surface etc).

So, lemme get this straight, you are telling me that setting up a friendly is not as easy as calling up another federation and telling them we're available to play?  That they might have demands and there will be logistics to figure out?  I don't believe it.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

So, lemme get this straight, you are telling me that setting up a friendly is not as easy as calling up another federation and telling them we're available to play?  That they might have demands and there will be logistics to figure out?  I don't believe it.

I do understand the spirit of this, and honestly, people working there may well be overachieving given the resources available to them; I don't know. But I think criticism now and demanding better down the road is fair. This isn't a church supper anymore. We're going to be big time for a decade. 

I think we do a bit of a disservice by merely saying "it's complicated" 

Edited by Califax

4 minutes ago, Califax said:

I do understand the spirit of this, and honestly, people working there may well be overachieving given the resources available to them; I don't know. But I think criticism now and demanding better down the road is fair. This isn't a church supper anymore. We're going to be big time for a decade. 

I think we do a bit of a disservice by merely saying "it's complicated" 

Yeah, I know.  Criticism is due.  I get it.  I was responding tongue in cheek to goofball who claimed that the CSA should've lined something up back in December.  Just having a bit of fun.  

However, it is enlightening to see the moving parts happening here.  Iran might've been targeted as good prep for Morocco and negotiations will then ensue around convincing them to come to North America (instead of Qatar) and then convincing them of BC Place.  All the while it may also hinge on Albania being in North America as well because Iran probably won't want to come here for a one-off.