Edmonton MLS expansion

Macksam

I think it could work but they would need a smaller soccer specific stadium . However, like it has been mentioned the MLS is not expanding into Canada , the three Canadian teams they have now are what they will stay at. They are going to expand into a few more American cities and that will be that for awhile. In terms of being successful in Edmonton I think it can definitely work and you can’t look at FC Edmonton not drawing well as an example, you just have to look at Toronto at it’s history with the type of crowds they  were drawing with the Lynx before TFC . The Lynx were barely getting maybe a few hundred a game in the USL . However, even if they had a big investor and the MLS was willing to listen , the CSA is not going to sanction a new Canadian expansion team in the MLS while trying to grow the CPL. People in Edmonton and for that sake in a lot of CPL markets need to step up and start supporting these CPL teams , because like I said if they lose their team don’t think the MLS or the CSA will be interested in bringing an MLS team to Edmonton for example no matter who the investor is . Appreciate what you have in these markets and support local soccer .

MLS usually want 2 million plus as the population in the metro area. Salt Lake City is the only outlier and they achieved it by getting in early when the league wasn't in a position to be too choosy.

Ottawa briefly had a chance when Eugene Melnyk pursued it for a bit not long after RSL got in and before Montreal did, but in the present day Canada's generally viewed as tapped out as there isn't a fourth media market that really fits the bill that way.

They probably won't go much past 30 and there are still several significantly larger American markets on the outside looking in (e.g. Phoenix, Detroit, San Diego, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Antonio, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Indianapolis, Cleveleland).

6 hours ago, Macksam said:

You have to think someone seeing the turn out for these two CMNT games against CR and Mex is going to spark some interest from a potential ownership group. 

Wow.  we go from the CPL is about to close shop, move or have to make huge changes, all the way over to "maybe there is MLS interest"??  Who cares about scantioning, city size, CPL competition etc etc.  Didnt Charlotte pay over 300million in expansion fees???  300million???  300million???  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Wow.  we go from the CPL is about to close shop, move or have to make huge changes, all the way over to "maybe there is MLS interest"??  Who cares about scantioning, city size, CPL competition etc etc.  Didnt Charlotte pay over 300million in expansion fees???  300million???  300million???  

I never said those things about the CPL. I have always believed that a professional product done right would do really well in Edmonton, whether that be the CPL or MLS.

6 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I never said those things about the CPL. I have always believed that a professional product done right would do really well in Edmonton, whether that be the CPL or MLS.

300 million at least.   Did the richest businessman/soccer fan in Alberta win the powerball??  A long lost Jeff Bezos love child in Edmonton stand to inherit a few billion...billion with a B??  

Yeah, no.

MLS will be large enough to split into two conferences/divisions long before Edmonton gets a sniff and why would the CSA approve another MLS team when the permission for the existing teams is still on the chopping block? Remember the extension granted them was based on the CanPL still being a start-up. 

On 11/14/2021 at 10:15 PM, Macksam said:

You have to think someone seeing the turn out for these two CMNT games against CR and Mex is going to spark some interest from a potential ownership group. 

What Ozzie_the_parrot said.  There are a lot of larger American cities still waiting for an MLS team, that are much larger markets than Edmonton.

I doubt MLS will consider Edmonton anytime soon.

On 11/14/2021 at 9:35 AM, narduch said:

I think they are happy to have our 3 largest markets and that's it.

The next markets are too small.

Very possibly.  But at the the end of the day it will always come down to whether or not you are able to write the cheque for the amount required.  

And if the markets are too small, then you wont be able to justify writing that cheque for what they want anyways. 

Having said all that,  there are always going to be other factors such as climate.   MLS plays in November.   No amount of money that MLS gets from an Edmonton owner is going cure the scheduling headache that the weather could create for March and November games..  These too are factors that can affect the bottom line.

Edited by Free kick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is silliest thing I have seen in years, well maybe the guy who wanted Tissot called into CMNT camps.  Who is going to fork over 300 million in expansion fees?  Who is going to bankroll 8-12mil dollars in salary?   Why would MLS agree to hand over a lucrative expansion spot that US cities are fighting over to a city that has a lower level team floundering??   

If there ever was MLS expansion to an Alberta city, it would be Calgary, who already have owners who'd be willing to pay that type of money for expansion and to build a stadium, as well as a fanbase who'll show up.

Not that it would ever happen, mind you.

Edited by Trois Reds
cleaning up

It’s not going to happen , but let’s not use Edmonton’s attendance problems with their NASL team before they joined the CPL and their attendance problems in the CPL as an indicator that an MLS team would not work in Edmonton. Toronto had numerous pro teams from the demise of the Toronto Blizzard of the old NASL in 1984 to the creation of TFC in 2007 that were very comparable to Edmonton’s attendances in the last reincarnation of the NASL and in the CPL . However, once TFC came around attendances have been very good Covid era not included. I think an MLS team in Edmonton could work , however , it’s not happening. With a proper owner with some pockets and proper marketing and with an owner that might be committed to building a proper stadium there is no reason that a CPL team can’t be successful in Edmonton and be a model franchise on and off the field .

53 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

...but let’s not use Edmonton’s attendance problems with their NASL team before they joined the CPL and their attendance problems in the CPL as an indicator that an MLS team would not work in Edmonton. 

That's true. Look at Atlanta!

54 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

It’s not going to happen

Agreed. Not going to happen in the next 30 years. The Saputo family has claimed they lose about 8 million a year with their team...and that was back when they called the team Impact!

8 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Agreed. Not going to happen in the next 30 years. The Saputo family has claimed they lose about 8 million a year with their team...and that was back when they called the team Impact!

I think Saputo is exaggerating abit and responsible for some of that. 

mls is done with CAD expansion and it would not be sanctioned by the CSA

11 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Its all a question of perspective.  Sure, you can work the books to make it look like you're losing money on the short term, however he paid what, like $40m for the franchise 10 years ago?  It's now worth like $350m? 

CFM's new player farming model should help Saputo's pockets in a big way in a few years.

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Its all a question of perspective.  Sure, you can work the books to make it look like you're losing money on the short term, however he paid what, like $40m for the franchise 10 years ago?  It's now worth like $350m? 

CFM's new player farming model should help Saputo's pockets in a big way in a few years.

At the same time, need to mention I do understand some of his points.  While other cities and provinces bend over backwards for investment, in his case they're doing absolutely nothing to develop or help.  He's paying hefty taxes on land and a stadium he doesn't even own.  

13 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1 hour ago, costarg said:

MLS isn't just about the team, it's also about SUM and that makes money for the owners.  It allows them to hide an incredible revenue stream for themselves while crying poverty on the MLS team side of things.

22 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

MLS isn't just about the team, it's also about SUM and that makes money for the owners.  It allows them to hide an incredible revenue stream for themselves while crying poverty on the MLS team side of things.

Didn't USSF end its relationship with SUM?

Making it less lucrative now.

Plus every new franchise splits the revenue from it even further. 

Edited by narduch