2021 Voyageurs Cup

I was going to ask the same thing. The CPL teams have 28 games in the next 5 months. Plus playoffs and Forge in Concacaf league.

L1O isn't even playing, though it looks like PLSQ is. I guess they'll do the same thing as last year? 

Edited by Trois Reds
PLSQ is actually playing.

20 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

I was going to ask the same thing. The CPL teams have 28 games in the next 5 months. Plus playoffs and Forge in Concacaf league.

L1O isn't even playing, though it looks like PLSQ is. I guess they'll do the same thing as last year? 

I did a quick look at the calendar and after the Winnipeg bubble the CPL has to play 20 matches in about 16 weeks. So there is a little bit of room for a few extra match days. 

Perhaps it would need to be single elimination this year.

I didn't look at the 3 MLS team schedules though 

13 hours ago, narduch said:

Platt made comments on this on One Soccer today (just now) but I missed it.

I think he said its happening.

Went back to watch it. 

Platt speculated that it would start in August and be 13 teams (8 CPL + 3 MLS + L1O + PLSQ). Expect it to be single games and probably regional again.

• 2 weeks later...

With everything going on and the delays that we have seen due to travel restrictions, I think this is an excellent outcome.  The V Cup used to be 3 or 4 teams playing in a (let’s face it) small tournament.  Now, we have a bunch of teams competing hard for the magical chalice.  Hell for the CPL teams it is a chance to hoist an actual cup rather than the fancy microwave tray ;) 

Love the format.  Home and away would be ideal if conditions allowed for it, but I am hella excited about this.  After the CMNT games, these will be my most anticipated games this year.     

1) Good for Forge.

2) First MLS team to have to start in the preliminary round.  Yet another fucking embarrassment for the Whitecaps organization. Hope it's the kick in the ass they need, but they're getting less and less coverage from media locally so this will probably just go under the radar.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Worst start?  They should be the favourites in this matchup.

Yeah, the flip side of this “worst start” is that they have a realistic chance of getting the best of an underperforming MLS team and getting some exposure and notoriety out of it.

You gotta beat the best to be the best so you might as well roll up your sleeves and get started.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

20 hours ago, ktf said:

Pacific getting absolutely the worst start. I get doing it regional, but wow.

WTF are you talking about. I have been waiting since 2009 (Highlanders and then PFC) for a competitive match against the Whitecaps here in Victoria. This is epic.

And BTW, what have PFC done that the Whitecraps have not? Beaten Calgary. 

5 minutes ago, ted said:

WTF are you talking about. I have been waiting since 2009 (Highlanders and then PFC) for a competitive match against the Whitecaps here in Victoria. This is epic.

And BTW, what have PFC done that the Whitecraps have not? Beaten Calgary. 

Now I know how to get some reactions to a post on here! But I do stand by that point. Yes it is a great match-up. One I have also been hoping would happen... But the nature of the "draw" is just so hodgepodge/frustrating. It would be nice to have some semblance of connection between league results and the placement in this. Hopefully, if the BC League 1 gets going soon that will add a dynamics that will help. 

I will say that it is too bad that this game is on a Thursday night. I would probably be able to swing it under normal circumstances, but my wife is away and it is past my kid's bedtime.