2021 Voyageurs Cup

Apparently the MLS sides are very much against playing during the FIFA break, realistically neither side should have any trouble fielding a vastly superior team than their CPL opponents even without their CMNT players, Osorio and Laryea for TFC and Piette for Montreal, isn't Pozuelo or Soteldo worth more than the 2 CPL rosters combined?

https://www.transfermarkt.us/toronto-fc/kader/verein/11141

Edited by gator

18 minutes ago, gator said:

Apparently the MLS sides are very much against playing during the FIFA break, realistically neither side should have any trouble fielding a vastly superior team than their CPL opponents even without their CMNT players, Osorio and Laryea for TFC and Piette for Montreal, isn't Pozuelo or Soteldo worth more than the 2 CPL rosters combined?

https://www.transfermarkt.us/toronto-fc/kader/verein/11141

TFC would be with out Laryea, Osorio,  Soteldo, Lawrence and Zavaleta.

But there really is no other time to play this.

Are they going to let TFC hold this tournament hostage for a 2nd year?

Just now, narduch said:

TFC would be with out Laryea, Osorio,  Soteldo, Lawrence and Zavaleta.

But there really is no other time to play this.

Are they going to let TFC hold this tournament hostage for a 2nd year?

Yes, I wasn't  factoring in other internationals, the point still stands, the MLS teams should have no problem even missing some internationals, isn't that why you have a squad of good players? TFC alone have little used Canadians that would probably be top players in CPL!

The games could only be played on an international break if the MLS teams agreed given D1 level club competitions are not supposed to be happening at that time. CanPL wraps up by mid-November and CF Montreal are unlikely to last all that long in the MLS ones if they qualify. Shouldn't be mission impossible to get the games played after that before the end of the year. Any club that is serious about Champions League entry needs to be able/willing to play year round.

5 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The games could only be played on an international break if the MLS teams agreed given D1 level club competitions are not supposed to be happening at that time. CanPL wraps up by mid-November and CF Montreal are unlikely to last all that long in the MLS ones if they qualify. Shouldn't be mission impossible to get the games played after that before the end of the year. Any club that is serious about Champions League entry needs to be able/willing to play year round.

That is a good point and maybe the main reason it doesn't look likely to be played then, I can see a repeat scenario of the eliminated MLS sides not wanting to hang around and wait for open dates from their CPL opponents, this could become a shit show once again which is a shame!

59 minutes ago, gator said:

Yes, I wasn't  factoring in other internationals, the point still stands, the MLS teams should have no problem even missing some internationals, isn't that why you have a squad of good players? TFC alone have little used Canadians that would probably be top players in CPL!

I don't know.

If Pozuelo's injury persists I might consider Pacific favorites

4 minutes ago, gator said:

That is a good point and maybe the main reason it doesn't look likely to be played then, I can see a repeat scenario of the eliminated MLS sides not wanting to hang around and wait for open dates from their CPL opponents, this could become a shit show once again which is a shame!

Think the difference this year is that there are no COVID lockdown related issues where travelling outside the country is concerned.

11 minutes ago, gator said:

This is what I'm worried about too.

CPL regularly season ends Nov. 6. MLS ends Nov. 7.

International break is November 12 and 16.

Montreal might not make the playoffs. TFC won't.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Hasn't been a problem for MLS in the past to play during the international break. They have 4 regular season games scheduled during this October break.

27 minutes ago, red card said:

Hasn't been a problem for MLS in the past to play during the international break. They have 4 regular season games scheduled during this October break.

It's generally up to the clubs to decide whether they want to play during the break., although this year has been worse because of the COVID-related fixture congestion. 

While MLS has four regular season games during the October break, neither Montreal and Toronto are involved because they almost never play on international breaks (Vancouver often does, which is piss poor from the Whitecaps, IMO). Montreal and Toronto choosing to respect the international break is ironically what has led to this situation.

Teams with few or no international players can easily play during international breaks. I'm not sure how that's relevant.

I'm not sure how Toronto held anyone hostage for the 2020 Championship. They were unable to return to Canada to play in 2020, and Hamilton was unwilling to travel to the USA. Then in 2021, Toronto returned early to train for the Championship, and Hamilton didn't file the paperwork to begin training!

Perhaps instead of blaming either side - just respect both sides trying to cope with a once-in-century emergency.

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Teams with few or no international players can easily play during international breaks. I'm not sure how that's relevant.

I'm not sure how Toronto held anyone hostage for the 2020 Championship. They were unable to return to Canada to play in 2020, and Hamilton was unwilling to travel to the USA. Then in 2021, Toronto returned early to train for the Championship, and Hamilton didn't file the paperwork to begin training!

Perhaps instead of blaming either side - just respect both sides trying to cope with a once-in-century emergency.

Fact is MLS teams have to agree to have games scheduled during the international break. Case in point none of the Canadian teams had games during  the September break while while all but one US team played during it. This has been an unprecedented year with the match congestion experienced. If there is a will , there will be a way to get these matched played. Having short handed teams is not ideal, but then again some MLS teams in the US Open Cup completely decide on their own to field reserve sides. 

I really do hope once and for all we can get this tournament going in 2022 in a real way beginning in April/May and giving it the platform it deserves, the question to be answered is while they keep it single game knockout or go back to home and home legs?

On 9/26/2021 at 9:50 AM, gator said:

Montreal would also be without Kamal Miller, arguably their best defender and Romell Quioto, one of their best attackers, who plays for the Honduras national team.  Both will be with their squads for World Cup qualifying.

Edited by spinrack

8 hours ago, spinrack said:

Montreal would also be without Kamal Miller, arguably their best defender and Romell Quioto, one of their best attackers, who plays for the Honduras national team.  Both will be with their squads for World Cup qualifying.

Wonder when the semi-final date and locations will be announced? 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

In the future, I think the CSA is going to have to start doing a better job of carving out the dates for the tournament further in advance. Get in front of it - these are the mid week dates for these rounds. Do not schedule your league games during that time. 

I'm pretty sure they have in the past (2019 and earlier)

This scheduling mess only happened during the pandemic.

If TFC and Montreal get their way the earliest the semis can be played is November 20.

Edited by narduch

21 minutes ago, narduch said:

I'm pretty sure they have in the past (2019 and earlier)

This scheduling mesd only happened during the pandemic.

If TFC and Montreal get their way the earliest the semis can be played is November 20.

In the future I am sure it begin in May and go from there with everyone knowing where things stand. The Argos play at home on November 16th, so BMO would be available the weekend after if TFC were to host. Ticats are at home on the 20th. This is the last year of a fish mash schedule hopefully When is the CPL Final? 

28 minutes ago, Cblake said:

In the future I am sure it begin in May and go from there with everyone knowing where things stand. The Argos play at home on November 16th, so BMO would be available the weekend after if TFC were to host. Ticats are at home on the 20th. This is the last year of a fish mash schedule hopefully When is the CPL Final? 

I assume semis on November 14 weekend and final on November 21 weekend. Don't think dates are set.

The semi-final dates and locations are set. At Toronto and Forge. Montreal has been on the road this entire tournament, interesting. Even as a TFC season ticket holder I thought this game would go out west, it would have a far bigger stage in the Victoria area. I would have expected a sell out there. 

No description available.

Edited by Cblake