2021 Voyageurs Cup

5 hours ago, RS said:

Sorry, but this is an idiotic idea.

The relevance of the CPL is not rooted in it's juxtaposition to MLS. Having MLS teams that get byes just makes them willingly subordinate, and I think that's the idiotic idea. 

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

The relevance of the CPL is not rooted in it's juxtaposition to MLS. Having MLS teams that get byes just makes them willingly subordinate, and I think that's the idiotic idea. 

So instead of suggesting a format that gives MLS teams fewer byes, your solution is to cut the legs completely out from the tournament by excluding them altogether? Are the other CPL teams "willingly subordinate" to Forge, who also received a bye this year?

From what I can tell, the byes in this year's Canadian Championship were determined by the previous tournament(s). The Whitecaps entered at the same preliminary stage as seven CPL teams and two semi-pro teams, while Toronto (2019 & 2020 finalist) and Montreal (2019 winner/current Voyageurs Cup holder) entered in the quarterfinal stage along with Forge (2020 finalist). 

If they keep the same format next year, the teams receiving byes will be Montreal & Toronto (2021 finalists) and one of Forge & Pacific (2021 semifinalists). I don't know what the criteria would be to determine which of Forge or Pacific would claim the third bye, but I'm assuming it will be whichever team finishes higher in the CPL standings or playoffs.

Long story short, the byes are earned. CPL teams have already shown that they can compete, but they still have to earn the better draws.

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Frankly speaking, if no MLS teams means that the Canadian Championship becomes pointless - something I strongly disagree with - then perhaps it should die. And if it does then the trophy could be awarded to the CPL winner.  The Voyageurs Cup is a trophy, not a competition.  

WTF are you on about?!? We created the Voyageurs Cup to create a "Canadian Champion" when there was no other way to do so and it is now an actual "competition" in the format of a knockout tournament.

No one is suggesting that the MLS teams not participate and there is no reason the VCup should not continue as an open tournament like the FA Cup and US Open Cup with teams from CanPL, MLS, L1O, L1BC and PLSQ.

7 hours ago, ted said:

WTF are you on about?!? We created the Voyageurs Cup to create a "Canadian Champion" when there was no other way to do so and it is now an actual "competition" in the format of a knockout tournament.

No one is suggesting that the MLS teams not participate and there is no reason the VCup should not continue as an open tournament like the FA Cup and US Open Cup with teams from CanPL, MLS, L1O, L1BC and PLSQ.

Calm down, reread what I said.  I don't think the competition should end.  I think it's a great competition.  I don't think the value of it is dependant on MLS teams is all I was getting at.  I agree that there is no reason for it to not continue in the current format, but you must admit it has had different formats over the years.  

My feelings on MLS teams being 'Canadian Champions' is clearly a minority opinion, and I'm ok with that.  Perhaps it's pedantic, and perhaps it's because I'm very much a lapsed Whitecaps fan, but I just don't see the MLS teams in the same way I did before the CPL.  

12 hours ago, RJB said:

The Canadian championship is a cup competition...

It's actually the premier club competition in Canada that determines the overall pro level national champion. TFC, the Whitecaps and CF Montreal are members of the CSA just as the eight CanPL clubs are, so there needs to be a shared competion to determine the domestic pro club level champion.

This is a national team oriented board and the national team has improved immensely since the three Canadian MLS teams have emerged, so the last thing we should want to do is undermine what has been driving the growth in Canadian soccer over the last 15 years with unnecessary divisive infighting.