Gloire Amanda

bfque8

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Amanda was an unused sub in his past few club matches. 

Might have to temper expectations, at least for the near future 

No expectations on my end. Just ruminating on the likelihood of jumping ship prematurely. With Tanzania out for 2022, I would imagine his sights are fixed firmly on 2026 with Canada - if they ever strayed to begin with. There’s also the very outside chance at cracking the Canada roster in the next 12 months - unlikely but not impossible. We’re only a month removed from clamouring for an emergency Tesho callup.

• 4 weeks later...

Amanda didn’t get off the bench again today, but I watched the last 10 minutes anyways. Austria Klagenfurt got the late winner in 90th minute. 

Frustrating goal to watch as a keeper. The Tirol keeper, Oswald, made a really strong reaction save off a point blank header, only to to have it ricochet right off his centre back’s knee and juuuuust over the line.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Starting to wonder if he would have been better off going to MLS 

For just a few months he's been on a top flight Austrian team currently in fourth, is on the bench, and does get occasional minutes. I don't think it is that bad, though I'd like to see the coach count on him more. Perhaps he has to learn what training and making yourself available means at this level. 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Starting to wonder if he would have been better off going to MLS 

I suspect the option to return to MLS will still be there. But as we've gone over with plenty of other players before, sometimes they just need to learn about being a professional. Don't think there's any reason to be concerned yet.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Wonder what's going on with this cat.  Lot of potential, is it being realized.

They are on winter break, playing friendlies. 

I think folks have to keep some perspective. The kid went from NCAA to top flight pro in Austria and may need some time. But then again, he's mostly gotten late minutes, and maybe only a few starts. Sounds to me like he has to earn his minutes, train harder and fight for a spot, which he may not be so used to.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They are on winter break, playing friendlies. 

I think folks have to keep some perspective. The kid went from NCAA to top flight pro in Austria and may need some time. But then again, he's mostly gotten late minutes, and maybe only a few starts. Sounds to me like he has to earn his minutes, train harder and fight for a spot, which he may not be so used to.

I always like it when a player takes his chances. Worse case he'll leave for a D2 team in Austria, and unlike MLS he has a say about where he wants to play. 

3 hours ago, shamrock said:

I always like it when a player takes his chances. Worse case he'll leave for a D2 team in Austria, and unlike MLS he has a say about where he wants to play. 

True, they could loan him out. As they just promoted to top flight, if they stay up this year in B1 they'll be happy overall, then decide if he can help going forward.

I was curious so I took a look at his twitter, and he congratulates Oregon State buddies from last year who were taken in the MLS superdraft this year. So these guys are going into MLS clubs, and will likely play u23. Their path will not be any faster.

Now Gloire had some previous pro experience with Whitecaps2, and he is slightly older as he did not start university until a few years after high school. But still, NCAA means a late start, and what is NCAA? Well it's training for the season over August, then a season that is about 3 and half months long. True, they do tend to do training sessions off-season, but very informally, more like justifying their scholarships (Jan-April, not sure they all do this but a friend had his son at UMKC and then Seattle University, and they did this). But competing 4 months, and for seniors, only being rivalled by the freshman and sophomores who are much greener coming in. 

Top this off with: Covid cut in to the 2020 season for many university programmes.

Then maybe a PDL or equivalent, League One, in the summer. Poor continuity, weak competitive edge, not close at all to a pro environment. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Klagenfurt drew Southampton scoreless yesterday, stopping a penalty against, but Gloire did not play. 

Good result for the team but not looking good for him so far. Unless he's injured.

They had a Cup match on the weekend and he wasn't in the line up for that either. 

No idea if he is hurt 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...