Gloire Amanda

bfque8

9 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

He did sorta get benched with Klagenfurt but... it's a good start.

I think he picked up a red about a month ago, which the club thought was totally unfair...but then he served the sanction, got off the track and has needed 3-4 matches to get back into the mix. That is not too bad.

In any case, I was surprised they signed him out of Oregon, NCAA, to top flight Austria. But he's gotten minutes and here scores against what used to be the best team in Austria, Rapid. His team playing with ten men since early first half. 

About Whitecaps: he left VWII three years ago or more, and chose NCAA since then, I think he did 3 years university soccer. So it is not like that is Whitecaps fault that an 18-19 year old was not ready for first team minutes. 

He turns 23 next month.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

What are you talking about.  The Whitecaps tried to sign him.  He opted for Europe.  

I could be totally wrong, and I’ll ask @GlassCityto chime in, as he knows all about that club.

I think it was on his timeline that I saw it but, the caps didn’t ever try to sign him. I could swear I saw an article on it. 

2 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I could be totally wrong, and I’ll ask @GlassCityto chime in, as he knows all about that club.

I think it was on his timeline that I saw it but, the caps didn’t ever try to sign him. I could swear I saw an article on it. 

Here's the quotes from Axel Schuster talking about trying to sign him.

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The Whitecaps were in discussions to sign him, but I didn’t get any details about why they couldn’t get it over the line.

Just checking his stats---he's basically had appearances, but all as a late sub so far. No starts, 7 appearances and 97 minutes in total. That was his first goal. He also had a start in a Cup match, was subbed out.

So the next step has to be longer sub stints, and a start. He is making a transition into pro football for the first time in his life, properly speaking, unless you think it was VW II when he was 18. Or Lane United in USL 2, typically summer play for NCAA players.

5 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I don’t remember Amanda being any more highly rated than a plethora of former Whitecaps players plying their trade in CPL or elsewhere. What has he done to earn this praise, College?

Is this praise? I guess I'm missing the point. 

I see he's with Wasserman agency from the US, who are buying out other agencies like in Spain or Germany, and have one of the most diverse portfolios out there. Also basketball, and entertainment. Other Canadians are Teibert, Kaye, Tesho, A Morgan.... 

If we think how enthused folks were when Kennedy went from 2nd division Austria to 2nd Bundesliga--well Gloire is in 1st tier Austria. In terms of league level, he's amongst our top 10 in Europe. Of course, as a striker he'll have to score for that to mean anything 

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I don’t remember Amanda being any more highly rated than a plethora of former Whitecaps players plying their trade in CPL or elsewhere. What has he done to earn this praise, College?

After whitecaps he went to Oregon state for 3 years, in 2020 led the NCAA in scoring and was concensus all american first team pick and won the Herman trophy as the best player in college soccer.  He might not have had the same buzz, and might not have gone super high in the draft but it would have been similar to Larin, Buchanan, Rapaso, Bekker, Johnston etc.  College levels and talent is always a crapshoot but he would have been on an MLS team this year if he chose that route.  

On 10/16/2021 at 10:05 PM, GlassCity said:

The Whitecaps were in discussions to sign him, but I didn’t get any details about why they couldn’t get it over the line.

Thought I read in Steven Sandor article .. he knew this was the best time for him to try to make it Europe coming off a strong season, being in form .. was waiting for an opportunity in Europe to present itself 

I don't know for sure but I imagine a major American agency making strides in soccer around Europe took a look at NCAA and thought, "Hey, maybe the Heisman Award winner might be a good bet".

I mean, who else? And he's a striker, which are worth more. So I would say getting connected to the agency was a major factor, but I have no idea who his agency might have been before or if it went down like that. 

In fact, the role of agencies in picking up and placing Canadian players is an untouched subject on this board. As is the way existing agencies might be perceiving Canadians now in comparison to even 3 years ago.

Agreed. I know the old adage is that if you're good enough, it doesn't matter where you're from. But the reality is as our reputation lifts, both for being a successful soccer national team and as a source of young talent, it can only help out players attract attention - particularly from agents, agencies and others that help broker opportunities in Europe.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know for sure but I imagine a major American agency making strides in soccer around Europe took a look at NCAA and thought, "Hey, maybe the Heisman Award winner might be a good bet".

I mean, who else? And he's a striker, which are worth more. So I would say getting connected to the agency was a major factor, but I have no idea who his agency might have been before or if it went down like that. 

In fact, the role of agencies in picking up and placing Canadian players is an untouched subject on this board. As is the way existing agencies might be perceiving Canadians now in comparison to even 3 years ago.

Technically, he probably wouldn't have had an agency before, since he was a college athlete.  But agreed, I could see an agency being able to taught "Hermann Trophy award winner" to clubs in Europe, especially since it was on a free transfer.  They can take a look at what's coming out of Canada recently and decide that "free" is the right price to at least take a gamble on the player.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

There was some talk during the Ike Ugbo speculation, warranted or not, that Amanda might play for Tanzania. They just got eliminated from World Cup qualifying, so that likely gets put to bed as a possibility for now.

Amanda is in that group with Ennin, James and, if he goes to Norway top flight, Bair, on the fringe of the NT and perhaps worthy of call-ups to friendlies or to fill in for injuries. Fully depending on their week-to-week league play in these respective top flights. These four are at least playing, so that would put them ahead of Justin Smith, for example, or those still on 2nd or youth teams, like Lucas Dias.