2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions

VinceA

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if Toronto ends up being the only host city. How many matches could the one location accommodate though. we probably don’t have enough training facilities to do the 10 games in Toronto...maybe half of that at best ?

If Edmonton pulls out which I don't think they will, but if they do and Toronto is only the host city left, then Toronto easily could host 10 group games no problem. But with Toronto and Edmonton you could easily divide it. 5 games each.

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if Toronto ends of being the only host city. How many matches could the one location accommodate though. we probably don’t have enough training facilities to do the 10 games in Toronto...maybe half of that at best ?

I don't think 1 stadium could host that many matches unless the Americans are willing to give up later knock out round games. I believe in the current bid Canada will only host up to the 1st knock out stage.

One city could probably only do 4-5 games at most.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if Toronto ends up being the only host city. How many matches could the one location accommodate though. we probably don’t have enough training facilities to do the 10 games in Toronto...maybe half of that at best ?

Well that would be a good thing for TO.  I really cant see the training facilities being an issue.

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

If Edmonton pulls out which I don't think they will, but if they do and Toronto is only the host city left, then Toronto easily could host 10 group games no problem. But with Toronto and Edmonton you could easily divide it. 5 games each.

FIFA mandates that stadiums get 3-4 days break between matches to help save the grass. Toronto could never host 10 games alone.

To add onto everyone’s points about Montreal, it’s not lost on me that there is a constant possibility of the Rays is being moved out of Tampa and into Montreal for 2027.

That certainly complicates things if the government is holding conversations about 2 stadiums, but would be ideal if something was built and then retrofitted like we saw for previous events around the world.

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

FIFA mandates that stadiums get 3-4 days break between matches to help save the grass. Toronto could never host 10 games alone.

Sorry.  But I have never heard of this rule.   I could be wrong though.   In the current format, there are six game played within each group and each group can normally be expected to be based in one city.  But if the world cup has to be completed in one month,  then how  could that work now?  Maybe what you mean is that there has to be 3-4 days break between match days?  That means two games played on the same daywith 3-4 days in between.  This would make sense to me.  But it doesnt make sense to have 3-4 days between every match, that cant be the case now.  

This PQ Lite government doesn't give a shit about soccer, if it was for hockey then it would be no problemo. It's both stupid and embarrassing.  

......and didn't a previous government already agree to hosting? There has to be something signed, I'm sure it wasn't a handshake deal.

Edited by MtlMario

6 hours ago, Free kick said:

The non comptete clause would mean that some of the very popular and lucrative summer events would have had to be cancelled in order to comply with the fifa non compete clause.  Like the F1 race, the jazz festival, just for laughs etc etc. etc.   the argument made that it wouldnt have been worth it for just three games.   

To me, it’s not like multiple events would be competing for the same dollar - if anything they would complement each other.  .. an F1 fan might not purchase a ticket for a game, but may attend some party/event associated with the WC.  And all the cultural events would be an added perk for those making the trip.  The only thing I’m thinking is that advertisers want exclusive rights to paint the city in their logos?

45 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Sorry.  But I have never heard of this rule.   I could be wrong though.   In the current format, there are six game played within each group and each group can normally be expected to be based in one city.  But if the world cup has to be completed in one month,  then how  could that work now?  Maybe what you mean is that there has to be 3-4 days break between match days?  That means two games played on the same daywith 3-4 days in between.  This would make sense to me.  But it doesnt make sense to have 3-4 days between every match, that cant be the case now.  

That's exactly it. There is a least 3-4 days between matches. So BMO Field could never host 10 matches. The tournament isn't long enough.

Go look at any World Cup schedule. Stadiums don't get used everday.

And they would never do 2 matches at 1 stadium on the same day. This is the World Cup. Not the fucking Gold Cup.

Edited by narduch

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

That's exactly it. There is a least 3-4 days between matches. So BMO Field could never host 10 matches. The tournament isn't long enough.

And the would never do 2 matches at 1 stadium on the same day. This is the World Cup. Not the fucking Gold Cup.

Which is why a replacement city is needed...either Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary or Vancouver is needed

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

And the would never do 2 matches at 1 stadium on the same day. This is the World Cup. Not the fucking Gold Cup.

Why wouldnt they do two matches in one day at the same stadium?    As it stands now, with groups of four,  that means six games per group.  They have to be playing two games on the same day or else they could never complete the group stage with the two weeks. 

20 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Quebec gov contribution was 103$ mil. Will now put all their attention to the festivals. Pitiful just pitiful.

Just now, Free kick said:

Why wouldnt they do two matches in one day at the same stadium?    As it stands now, with groups of four,  that means six games per group.  They have to be playing two games on the same day or else they could never complete the group stage with the two weeks. 

Because with the US in the bid there are enough stadiums that make that unnecessary.

The World Cup is a big fucking deal.

It would be unprecedented to do what you are suggesting.

9 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Which is why a replacement city is needed...either Ottawa, Winnipeg, Calgary or Vancouver is needed

I have heard that only the cities and stadia included in the original bid are allowed - you cannot add more cities/stadia subsequently (otherwise I would suggest throwing in THF with Toronto).

I guess unless FIFA drastically changes its rules... but I'd be surprised.

Starting to worry that this seriously jeopardizes auto-qual ... or even being included in hosting.

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Multiple games on the same day? Yes. That happens in the group stage and early knockout rounds of every World Cup.

Multiple games at the same stadium on the same day? Never.

As with Vancouver, this is probably a smart decision.  These cities are being asked to give up far too much for far too little reward, and for what?  So that your city name is there at the centre line?  Time and time again these major events prove to be nothing but a feel good event that everyone else benefits from and the city itself pays for.

Wonder how feasible it is to get Ottawa's TD Place up to FIFA standards. I read that you need 40k capacity at least and we had that with the Grey Cup.  The grass issue would be the biggest obstacle imo. 

From a logistics perspective, the stadium is easy to get to by public transportation  and accommodations around are plenty.  

Edited by kobasew19

16 minutes ago, RJB said:

As with Vancouver, this is probably a smart decision.  These cities are being asked to give up far too much for far too little reward, and for what?  So that your city name is there at the centre line?  Time and time again these major events prove to be nothing but a feel good event that everyone else benefits from and the city itself pays for.

Don't disagree at all. I am probably more upset at FIFA atm.

• VinceA changed the title to 2026 World Cup - News, Updates and discussions