Forge FC Season Thread 2021

Big_M

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/article/forge-fc-signs-u-sports-draft-pick-metusala-and-attacker-nwafornso

Two more new additions for Forge.

Garven Metusala was a USPORTS Draft Pick out of Greg Sutton's Concordia and the PLSQ Blainville squads. I've seen him considered to be a centreback or a defensive midfielder, so this is likely a depth signing.

Kosi Nwafornso spent four years in the NCAA with St Bonnie and spent a short stint in the USL2. He's a 6foot1 attacker, so I'd assume they expect him to make up for the loss of big-bodied Anthony Novak and his hold-up play. I'm not sure how he counts for roster rules considering he is Nigerian born but it looks like he was living in Canada previous to joining Forge.

By my counts, this brings the current squad to 21 players.

I have to keep reminding myself that Forge actually plays this weekend, this whole COVID schtick has made the lead up a bit underwhelming. That being said, I might cry tears of normalcy if we get to safely experience a game in-person later this season.

Side note: It's flown under the radar that cult club figure Kadell Thomas does not seem to be under contract as of right now.

Edited by Pottsy3

A few more Sigma kids added to round out the bubble squad. Robbie Cleary and Santiago Frias are on developmental contracts, while Johnny Son was signed to a full professional contract.

https://northerntribune.ca/forge-fc-sigma-trio-2021/

According to his FTF Profile, Johnny Son has trained with Forge in past seasons and Reynders took him to trial with Genk.

Edited by Pottsy3

This has to be the strongest starting XI in CPL thus far.

Question - What will they accomplish this year?

1-Will they upset a horrendous TFC later this year?

2-Will they qualify for next year Champions league?

3-Will they win CONCACAF league?

4-Will they win a 3rd CPL championship?

5-Will they disappoint and none of the above?

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

This has to be the strongest starting XI in CPL thus far.

Question - What will they accomplish this year?

1-Will they upset a horrendous TFC later this year?

2-Will they qualify for next year Champions league?

3-Will they win CONCACAF league?

4-Will they win a 3rd CPL championship?

5-Will they disappoint and none of the above?

6-Will they sit still as Valour paint their faces funny colours? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Kadell Thomas is back at Sigma after not being signed by Forge this season, has played in both of their 79 and 88 minutes in their two matches in L10. Cela is back with Sigma too, although we've brought him back on a short-term "emergency" deal.

I also didn't realize that Robbie Cleary (5 appearances for Forge this year) and Santiago Frias (2 appearances for Forge this year) were able to simultaneously play for Sigma in L10 due to their "developmental" contracts.

3 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Looks like Kadell Thomas is back at Sigma after not being signed by Forge this season, has played in both of their 79 and 88 minutes in their two matches in L10. Cela is back with Sigma too, although we've brought him back on a short-term "emergency" deal.

I also didn't realize that Robbie Cleary (5 appearances for Forge this year) and Santiago Frias (2 appearances for Forge this year) were able to simultaneously play for Sigma in L10 due to their "developmental" contracts.

That is great news for developmental purposes.

8 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

So exactly what are you allowed to do with one of these contracts? You can play for any other team? That team is an affiliate, or has an agreement with the bigger club? I can understand bringing up a  player on a short term contract, like when you get into keeper problems, and then he goes back. But treating the L10 team as a B team or second team, is that what we are talking about?

Even though I think it may be unfair for Forge to be able to do this given their close ties to Sigma, I'd prefer for the rule to hold and any other team be able to do similar. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So exactly what are you allowed to do with one of these contracts? You can play for any other team? That team is an affiliate, or has an agreement with the bigger club? I can understand bringing up a  player on a short term contract, like when you get into keeper problems, and then he goes back. But treating the L10 team as a B team or second team, is that what we are talking about?

Even though I think it may be unfair for Forge to be able to do this given their close ties to Sigma, I'd prefer for the rule to hold and any other team be able to do similar. 

I'm not sure we've ever seen a full explanation about what "developmental" contracts actually are, but I know that one signing article mentioned that players on developmental contracts were limited to playing in a maximum of 6 CPL matches in a season.

I dug through the L10 rosters and the 3/4 Forge -> Sigma players were the only ones I could find who are currently under contract in the CPL. I would imagine that there are limitations to which leagues these players can play in, but I have never heard of a public formal affiliation between a CPL club and a semi-pro Canadian side.

Outside of L10, Joseph Holliday who is on a developmental contract with FCE recently played for the Edmonton Scottish, but I'm not sure of the formality of the "Exhibition Summer Series".

Not including USports Contracts, these are the developmental contracts and partner clubs I've been able to find

Santiago Frias, Robbie Cleary, Sebastian Castello - Forge FC & Sigma 

Marcus Caldeira - Forge FC & "likely" still Sigma, but he's yet to appear on either roster

Justin Holliday - FC Edmonton & Edmonton Scottish

Max Piepgrass - Cavalry FC & played for Foothills earlier this season before signing

Jaeden Mercure - Atletico Ottawa & played for OSU this season prior to signing

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Are there any Sigma players who've gone to teams other than Forge on short-term or development contracts? 

While we're criticizing MTL using Valour as a "farm team", we should be clear what the relationship is between ForgeFC and Sigma: is the latter an official and exclusive affiliate? 

Duran Lee is probably the only player who was really a "product" of Sigma, spending multiple years there but ultimately spent a season with Vaughan Azzurri before making his move to the CPL. 

Sam Gardner's last official club before moving to the CPL was Sigma. However, he seems to have spent some time trialing with clubs as an unattached player. Lowell Wright also played a season in the Sigma system after leaving TFC Academy, but he played for another L10 club prior to his CPL signing.

Your point seems to hold water, Forge at the very least has "first dibs" on Sigma players due to Bobby's connections (I think his brother is still running the academy) to staff and the relationship with Axia Sports Management (the agency that seems to sign all of the Sigma products, I believe there was a rumour that Nick Mavromaras might be an in-law of sorts).

Side note: Is it bad that I kinda just assumed Garven Metusala was a product of Sigma? I just realized that he came from AS Blainville.

Edited by Pottsy3

9 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Duran Lee is probably the only player who was really a "product" of Sigma, spending multiple years there but ultimately spent a season with Vaughan Azzurri before making his move to the CPL. 

Sam Gardner's last official club before moving to the CPL was Sigma. However, he seems to have spent some time trialing with clubs as an unattached player. Lowell Wright also played a season in the Sigma system after leaving TFC Academy, but he played for another L10 club prior to his CPL signing.

Your point seems to hold water, Forge at the very least has "first dibs" on Sigma players due to Bobby's connections (I think his brother is still running the academy) to staff and the relationship with Axia Sports Management (the agency that seems to sign all of the Sigma products, I believe there was a rumour that Nick Mavromaras might be an in-law of sorts).

Side note: Is it bad that I kinda just assumed Garven Metusala was a product of Sigma? I just realized that he came from AS Blainville.

I don't mind an inside line or a strong relationship, that seems acceptable. What I would not want to see is an exclusive deal which could end up limiting a player moving from Sigma to say York Utd, and back. 

I'd say the same if it were Foothills being exclusively beholden to Cavalry.

Now if further along some sort of academy structure is created and all the CPL teams can do this, then I think that is alright. It is a question of the principle: we don't want the CPL to be treated as a farm league for MLS, as it demeans its instrinsic value. And then any potential D2, if that is what your L10 is, should not be either, unless there is an established set of rules on how a CPL team creates an exclusive affiliate relationship with a lower tier club. 

Is ForgeFC putting money into Sigma? Is there anything legal or financial that would justify this relationship if it is indeed "exclusive"?

I was wondering other day if we have more of an academy structure than we realize here? Most of the clubs in League 1 are U5 to semi-pro and the CPL owns League 1. Forge may use Sigma more because of inside connections, but don't all 8 clubs have an inside track on basically all Ontario youth players not at TFC?

I'm not saying there are legal rights to compensation (although there may be if fees were involved). That said, young players move academies in Europe all the time without fees. My sense is that the academy is just your chance to get the best read on a player before they turn pro. Don't we have that already in much of the country?

I think the League 1 deal may be a brilliant strategy, actually.

My wife and I will be going to Halifax for a long weekend trip in October. Her mother's family is from Nova Scotia and she really wanted to go out there. Me...being the selfish bastard that I am 😇...decided what better way to see Halifax than when the Forge are playing there. So we've booked our flights and will be catching the Oct.23 game against the Wanderers. I am so stoked for this...and so is my wife 🙄. If any other Forge fans are out there for the same game I'd be up for pre-game pints...would even entertain going to one of the Wanderers pubs. Let me know if any of you are interested.