Forge FC Season Thread 2021

Big_M

Just my two cents regarding Forge vs Motagua. Motagua were excellent to watch. Great passing/possession, and their 2nd goal was a beauty. I also found they didn't do alot of diving and play acting which I always expect from Central American teams. Maybe TV showed some that I missed? They were very aggressive. Crowd was decent for covid times and there was alot of supporters for Motagua. Part of what I love about the Concacaf League games is seeing the visiting team supporters. By the 80th minute my father and I were basically agreeing that Forge were pretty much fucked, but were happy that they made it as far as they did. Then the last 10 minutes of the game happened which was EPIC! Amazing to see live. Still very much an up hill battle for them, but you never know.  Any other thoughts out there?

Most of the discussion on this is in the match thread below, it was a great atmosphere, I had a chat with the visiting fans pre match and funny enough some of the visiting fans were from Hamilton! Motagua looked just too stout on defence for us and Forge could not break them down then as you say "the last 10 minutes happened"! I don't know if Forge can pull this out in Central America but it would be foolish to count them out after they clawed back into the tie in dramatic fashion!

On 11/17/2021 at 4:07 PM, narduch said:

Forge will host a Concacaf Champions League match February 15-17.

https://www.concacaf.com/en/champions-league/news/concacaf-announces-details-for-2022-scotiabank-concacaf-champions-league-draw/

They will draw either a Mexican team or American MLS team.

I'd prefer a Mexican team myself. Exposure to Forge if they can put on a good showing might have them deciding to support the Forge locally. An MLS team, sure we may have a better chance of beating, and if New England may even have travelling fans, but anyone supporting a US MLS team isn't jumping ship to Forge.

• 2 weeks later...

As we wrap up a season where Forge lost out on two competitions in 4 days I am looking forward to where this team goes next season! The brutal schedule was a factor here but Forge were actually fading down the stretch winning only one of their last 6 contests and failing to score in 4 of them, changes are needed! The lack of a top goal threat has been an issue from day one with this team, they manage to score goals from their dominance all over the pitch but really need to bring in an out and out striker who will score! Browne looked like that guy for a handful of matches but turned out to be a selfish undisciplined player, Welshman was really poor and his blatant misses against CF Montreal and last night cost this club dearly, I don't want either back! If the club doesn't retool I think this will be a team that really takes a downturn next season!

Welshman's return has been a pretty big letdown. His first appearance back he got a great reaction from the fans but he never really produced. I'd be surprised if Browne would even want to be back. It's fun watching him get around players and his goal in Concacaf at home was maybe the best goal I've seen from a Forge player but he is selfish on the ball. A Montreal fan warned us about that as soon as he was announced. Next season is going to be very interesting. I'm a bit worried about them continuing  to be a constant contender but maybe that's just some pessimism kicking  in. 

13 minutes ago, Ftduck said:

Welshman's return has been a pretty big letdown. His first appearance back he got a great reaction from the fans but he never really produced. I'd be surprised if Browne would even want to be back. It's fun watching him get around players and his goal in Concacaf at home was maybe the best goal I've seen from a Forge player but he is selfish on the ball. A Montreal fan warned us about that as soon as he was announced. Next season is going to be very interesting. I'm a bit worried about them continuing  to be a constant contender but maybe that's just some pessimism kicking  in. 

Agree with what you said especially the concern for next season, I know this may sound radical for a fairly successful team but I believe a rebuild is needed or the team will really struggle! It starts at the back for me, I appreciate Henry is a good shot stopper but I think he is a poor technical keeper and should be replaced, Jakovic we never got to know and at his age and a year out I think he needs to move, we need another RB, Cisse plays well there but that isn't his natural position and I have never been overly impressed with Grant other than his speed! In the midfield Borges will probably go back to his parent club and honestly although he showed flashes of past brilliance it wasn't very often, Sabak is frustrating because he looks like he should be that much better unfortunately in 2 full seasons he isn't! I have noted that Browne and Welshman should be gone and I certainly wouldn't bother with bringing Navarro back! There are some depth players that the club is going to have to decide whether they deserve another look, Tissot seems a good player but is often injured and I would say the same about Nanco and possibly Choinere! I know some Forge fans will disagree with my assessments and a ten player turnover is a lot, Forge will struggle if big changes aren't made!

Long time reader of the forums, first time poster...so go easy on me.  Have been a Forge FC STH since day one.

So I agree with a lot of what has been said...its been a great three seasons...two championships, a deep Concacaf League run this year and another CPL finals appearance.  The team had a gruelling schedule this year and clearly was exhausted.  I would also echo that the team really seemed to miss a consistent goal scoring threat and it was very apparent yesterday.

Transfermarkt shows that only three players are under contract for next season: Krutzen, Grant and Choiniere.  I have no idea how accurate that is...and no idea which players there may be options on for next season. 

I think it is time to move on from some of the vets.  I won't necessarily single out players that I feel shouldn't be back (for various reasons), but I hope to see Awuah, Cisse, Achinioti-Jonsson, Bekker, Metusala and Pacius back (although I know some may come with significant hikes in salary).  I'd also like to see Castello back getting more playing time next year.

As for additions, I'm sure there will be some promotions from Sigma but the team badly needs defensive depth and a goal scoring threat up front.  Krutzen is in the conversation for best centre back in the league, but he needs a consistent partner...someone who can command the box.  And the team certainly needs a legitimate striker.  I'll float two names out there...Didic and Ongaro.  Maybe they want a change of scenery and could be enticed by the prospect of Champions League football, but they might have prospects of playing in Europe or a higher league.  It would have been nice to also have the Concacaf League games to offer players as well, but that's not an option now. 

Anyways...it was a great season and will be an interesting off season with games back on in February.

Edited by McFan70

We've definitely missed an out-and-out goal scorer since day 1. I really like Welshman, but I see him more as another Anthony Novak where his biggest skill is his ability to hold-up play and out-strength defenders, more so than his goal scoring. With another year of development, I thijnk Woobens can become that goalscorer.

Nanco is a player that I could see moving on after this year. His position is crowded for competition, and I just don't think he has the versatility to be of much use on this roster. He could be a good get on another team. Choiniere can go unnoticed at times, but he has an ability to elevate his play in big moments and I think he'd be great to keep around as a super sub for our Champions League season. 

I loved the look of Metusala tonight but he's shown inconsistencies, but we definitely need someone to replace the Edgar mould. A centre back who can lead from the back, is always in position and can provide a much needed aerial threat going forward.

I've said it in other threads, but some moves that I could see happening:

Kofi Opare coming in as a CB. Veteran with size and loads of MLS experience. Hasn't played since pre-covid, but has ties to the area and seems to be looking for a club.

Jace Kotsopoulos(FWD)/Alex Zis(CM) being brought in from Guelph L10. Two young players who scored boatloads of goals in a dominant L10 season and have been previous Forge draft picks.

Tomas Giraldo is still 18, was released from CF MTL and is under Bobby's brother's agency if we were looking to add a young striker.

59 minutes ago, McFan70 said:

Long time reader of the forums, first time poster...so go easy on me.  Have been a Forge FC STH since day one.

So I agree with a lot of what has been said...its been a great three seasons...two championships, a deep Concacaf League run this year and another CPL finals appearance.  The team had a gruelling schedule this year and clearly was exhausted.  I would also echo that the team really seemed to miss a consistent goal scoring threat and it was very apparent yesterday.

Transfermarkt shows that only three players are under contract for next season: Krutzen, Grant and Choiniere.  I have no idea how accurate that is...and no idea which players there may be options on for next season. 

I think it is time to move on from some of the vets.  I won't necessarily single out players that I feel shouldn't be back (for various reasons), but I hope to see Awuah, Cisse, Achinioti-Jonsson, Bekker, Metusala and Pacius back (although I know some may come with significant hikes in salary).  I'd also like to see Castello back getting more playing time next year.

As for additions, I'm sure there will be some promotions from Sigma but the team badly needs defensive depth and a goal scoring threat up front.  Krutzen is in the conversation for best centre back in the league, but he needs a consistent partner...someone who can command the box.  And the team certainly needs a legitimate striker.  I'll float two names out there...Didic and Ongaro.  Maybe they want a change of scenery and could be enticed by the prospect of Champions League football, but they might have prospects of playing in Europe or a higher league.  It would have been nice to also have the Concacaf League games to offer players as well, but that's not an option now. 

Anyways...it was a great season and will be an interesting off season with games back on in February.

For a first post on the forum, you surely hit the nail on the head. Agree with everything you said. I had those same two names in my mind, I'm just not sure how easy they would be to poach.

1 hour ago, McFan70 said:

I echo with what @Pottsy3  wrote! You seem to be well informed with what Forge has and needs, a great first post, welcome to the board and please get involved!

Have to say I don't really understand the thinking that we need D help. The team gave up twenty percent fewer goals than the next best defence and never looked outmatched in Concacaf League. Depth at CB, yeah maybe, but depth at every position is probably a luxury even Forge can't afford. Not sure why Samuel gets no respect. He was very effective the entire season. We have Cela (haven't seen enough of him to really know what he can give us) and utility guy Tissot. Sure, it'd be great to pick up another top shelf CB, but I don't think anyone in CPL is much of an upgrade over our top two. Our top two CB's are 25 and 27 though, so I wonder if they will be looking to move on in the near future.

I'd be interested to know how many goals, or even xG we had off set-pieces. I watched every game but two this year, and it seemed rare that we would threaten on any kind of set-piece. Just a quick check of headed goals on the CPL site shows we had three compared to 7, 7 and 9 for York, Cavalry and Pacific. Not a perfect indicator, but likely an indication of how poor we are off corners and free kicks. I don't think it's a height issue either. The deliveries rarely seem to be in a dangerous location, and too many short corners that resulted in nothing. I really hate those, just get it in the six and something might happen.

I think the effect of playing so many games in a truncated season caught up to them, especially at the end. TFC fans will recall the hangover that 2018 Champions League caused, and this was more games and more travel to less hospitable locales. I will be surprised if Pacific has much success in CL next year. I don't think they have strong enough midfield play to hang with the better teams. You can't bunker every game, especially if you get down a goal or two. The final notwithstanding, they weren't really that great defensively through the season. 

The lack of a true goal scorer is really the big issue facing the team, and maybe guys aging and wanting to move on to other opportunities in or out of soccer.