Montreal MLS Team 2021 Season

Big_M

Such a pointless change.

The name has been with the team so long that it has become nostalgic and historical. The name predates MLS and I'm sure some hardcore fans remember being to games as very young children going with older family members. Why erase the past now? Canada doesn't have alot of soccer history and the powers that be, decide to get rid of what little we have. Sad...

Name change wont bring anyone new, it just alienates the older hardcore fans that purchase merchandise and are loyal followers of the team. 

Also of note....

https://queenscitizen.ca/2020/12/31/98-5-sports-impact-loses-broadcast-rights-to-games/

Found this pic doing a search, away shirt...

Montreal_Impact_Creator_Tee_White_GN6064

Edited by fil

1 hour ago, fil said:

Such a pointless change.

The name has been with the team so long that it has become nostalgic and historical. The name predates MLS and I'm sure some hardcore fans remember being to games as very young children going with older family members. Why erase the past now? Canada doesn't have alot of soccer history and the powers that be, decide to get rid of what little we have. Sad...

Name change wont bring anyone new, it just alienates the older hardcore fans that purchase merchandise and are loyal followers of the team. 

Also of note....

https://queenscitizen.ca/2020/12/31/98-5-sports-impact-loses-broadcast-rights-to-games/

Found this pic doing a search, away shirt...

Montreal_Impact_Creator_Tee_White_GN6064

Is that the Honduran flag?

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I wonder if people in Montreal think this name change could be a reaction to CPL teams entering the Quebec? Just wondering. Branding and name seems to cast a wider net

I work with some Impact Ultras and my impression is:

1. Most in Quebec don't yet really know about CPL so not a factor but they WILL once it's launched and think the Owners definitely had that in mind.. especially the flur de lys bit that may pull on Nordique heartstrings :)

2. Ultras don't feel too strongly about the name change but noted it may be annoying because of practical reasons - was just the "Impact" like the "Habs" but now what.. the CF? Ugly.. and even worse it could be the "team formerly know as the Impact"! Lol

I'm sure other Montreallers will have other more interesting takes

Edited by saintjoes

12 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I wonder if people in Montreal think this name change could be a reaction to CPL teams entering the Quebec? Just wondering. Branding and name seems to cast a wider net

Using the Fleur-de-lis is definately a reaction to CPL arriving in Quebec and Montreal region. Anyone who know Québec City knows that they will always back their own over ANYTHING that's from Montreal. 

While the Montreal suburbs might respond better to that rebrand, not sure it works on Montreal West Island. A CPL club in Montreal just needs to be more Montreal centric than "CF Montréal" in its symbolism like using the mountain with the cross/St.Joseph oratory etc...

I'm VERY skeptical that rebranding will do them that much more good.

I thought the Impact name was pure vanilla and had nothing really to do with Montreal.

It also had really no connection to football as it was your typical North American sports team name that corporate marketing departments tend to come up with.

So, the rename appears to be a reset to world football standards. It is also an acknowledgement by marketing types that it isn't about appealing to kids and soccer moms first that was the prevailing thinking in the 80s and 90s. 

The club's nickname can still be Impact but now it is up to the fans to decide. I think it will be around for a bit but eventually will be replaced/fade away as the next generation of supporters come onboard.

5 hours ago, RS said:

The Impact have a Fleur-de-lis in their existing logo, and the one before that. Both were created long before CPL was even an idea.

There's a difference between being part of the logo and being the actual logo. 😂

Anyone in the province understands the symbolism of that move if that's what they are going for - they want to be the "province of Quebec" team, something they had never bothered to do before... heck they could barely position themselves as Montreal Island club, even less the metro area. (Saputo's own admission in an article in Journal de Montréal)

CPL would be a huge incentive for such a move that's still pissing off their fanbase.

They can forget Québec City metro area and most of the regions in that area will identify with Quebec way ahead of Montreal.

As for Montreal Metro area, depending if it's in Laval or Montreal Island, this has to be a major annoyance losing their monopoly.

Edited by Ansem

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

There's a difference between being part of the logo and being the actual logo. 😂

Anyone in the province understands the symbolism of that move if that's what they are going for - they want to be the "province of Quebec" team, something they had never bothered to do before... heck they could barely position themselves as Montreal Island club, even less the metro area. (Saputo's own admission in an article in Journal de Montréal)

CPL would be a huge incentive for such a move that's still pissing off their fanbase.

They can forget Québec City metro area and most of the regions in that area will identify with Quebec way ahead of Montreal.

As for Montreal Metro area, depending if it's in Laval or Montreal Island, this has to be a major annoyance losing their monopoly.

Are you actually from Quebec, or are you just assuming a deep knowledge of what 8 million people collectively understand?

53 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Are you actually from Quebec, or are you just assuming a deep knowledge of what 8 million people collectively understand?

Born and raised in Québec. First language is French. Trust me... I know my people.

The dislike of Montreal from Québec City transcends sports. They'll never significantly support Montreal Impact or CF Montréal in any capacity. Same for the surrounding régions who recognized themselves more with Quebec City than Montreal... Fleur de lis or not.

I also lived in West Island before moving to Toronto. The Habs identity appeals to both English and French Montreal because a century ago, they knew their fans and how they wanted to represent all of them. Not sure CF Montréal does a good job reaching out to West Island who'll most likely stay indifferent.

The immediate suburbs? Adding more of a French identity to the club and symbolism might prove effective in the larger 450 area. Perhaps that was the intent since Saputo lamented that he had little reach outside the Island.. attendance-wise I'm not convince it makes a difference but TV has been going up over the years. Suburbs hates commuting to Montreal Island unless they have to or for the Habs. (Ex-Repentigny and Longueuil citizen)

Can a CPL club succeed in Montréal Metro area? 

Depends...

You need to get the ownership right... The whole Bunbury thing simply won't do if CPL are smart unless you're talking Laval.

Laval: If you make it a Laval centric club while appealing to the "Couronne Nord" (Laval is also an Island) - it could work. Laval + Couronne Nord (North suburbs beyond Laval) is around 1M people. The Laval Rockets of the AHL is drawing decent crowds (6200 on average), despite the giant Montréal Canadiens being a subway ride away... If the club has the Laval identity down with decent marketing and competent owners, I see no reason why they can't replicate this for CPL.

Montreal: That’s my preference but the league would need a more established recognizable owner like Atletico in Ottawa. The Magazine Soccer Québec reported that CPL were actively lobbying the FFF for a CPL involvement. A giant club such as Lyon would be much harder to ignore with a large French expat community that would be pretty much sold in advance. The French giant behind a CPL club who focuses on a Montreal identity (red & blue / Expos and Alouettes had red, cross/Mountain etc) - something CF Montréal seems to NOT be doing would be smart.

Location is key. Either CEPSUM on the blue metro line in the CDN-NDG area which is more populated and multicultural than where CF Montréal are in the east. Personally, I think that if they get Percival Molson downtown Montreal, this could mean trouble.

All I'm saying is that this is no coincidence. It's quite obvious that CF Montréal are trying to position themselves as "Québec's team". Problem is that by doing that, you're a bit less "Montréaler"... for my taste... This is where a CPL Montreal club could excel by getting the Montreal identity correctly, right owners and location... powered by a French giant.

Let's not forget that they'd be broadcast by CBC French Radio-Canada...which reaches more homes. Other French Networks could be interested as well.

Montreal vs Quebec City is gold in those parts....

Edited by Ansem

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

Laval: If you make it a Laval centric club while appealing to the "Couronne Nord" (Laval is also an Island) - it could work. Laval + Couronne Nord (North suburbs beyond Laval) is around 1M people. The Laval Rockets of the AHL is drawing decent crowds (6200 on average), despite the giant Montréal Canadiens being a subway ride away... If the club has the Laval identity down with decent marketing and competent owners, I see no reason why they can't replicate this for CPL.

But Bois de Boulogne stadium is NOT near a metro line in Laval.  For ANY Laval team to work in CPL it would have to be right off the  Orange Line (just like Place Ball right off Station Montmorency).  The two stadiums nearby is CEGEP Montmorency and College Letendre stadiums.

Maybe if the team was called SL Rapides  (SL = Stade lavallois also the name of a team in France).   

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

Montreal: That’s my preference but the league would need a more established recognizable owner like Atletico in Ottawa. The Magazine Soccer Québec reported that CPL were actively lobbying the FFF for a CPL involvement. A giant club such as Lyon would be much harder to ignore with a large French expat community that would be pretty much sold in advance. The French giant behind a CPL club who focuses on a Montreal identity (red & blue / Expos and Alouettes had red, cross/Mountain etc) - something CF Montréal seems to NOT be doing would be smart.

Location is key. Either CEPSUM on the blue metro line in the CDN-NDG area which is more populated and multicultural than where CF Montréal are in the east. Personally, I think that if they get Percival Molson downtown Montreal, this could mean trouble.

CEPSUM might be the better choice as it is a smaller but more intimate stadium 5000 to 6000 seat capacity, as well the REM train will have a stop at Edouard Montpetit, making it accessible for the north and south shores as well as Montreal central(blue line)and west (REM to the west Island)

When you say this could trouble if Percival Molson stadium is chosen for Montreal CPL team,  trouble for who?? (need clarification here)

11 hours ago, Impactsupporter said:

But Bois de Boulogne stadium is NOT near a metro line in Laval.  For ANY Laval team to work in CPL it would have to be right off the  Orange Line (just like Place Ball right off Station Montmorency).  The two stadiums nearby is CEGEP Montmorency and College Letendre stadiums.

Maybe if the team was called SL Rapides  (SL = Stade lavallois also the name of a team in France). 

It would be convenient for Montrealers to be near a station. Suburbanites and Laval people mostly drive... I'm thinking a big parking lot is a must.

CEPSUM might be the better choice as it is a smaller but more intimate stadium 5000 to 6000 seat capacity, as well the REM train will have a stop at Edouard Montpetit, making it accessible for the north and south shores as well as Montreal central(blue line)and west (REM to the west Island)

Always thought that for a CPL Montreal 1.0, that stadium is perfect and with the REM & and blue line, an even easier place to acces from virtually anywhere in the Metro area.

Also, combining the neighborhoods surrounding Cote-Des-Neiges and NDG gets you a very multicultural and populous area. If you use the mountain as the focus of your identity - you have a winner.

When you say this could trouble if Percival Molson stadium is chosen for Montreal CPL team,  trouble for who?? (need clarification here)

Percival Molson being near McGill Station with the REM, university, downtown and offices makes it an easy to access and very attractive venue (giving it the same reduced capacity treatment as Tim Hortons field).

Not that they would be bigger than the impact, but such a move would definately challenge their monopoly. Imagine a little boutique on Ste-Catherine like Pacific did in Victoria...something Impact should have done years ago

50 minutes ago, Impactsupporter said:

CS Mont-Royal 

will work if the team uses CEPSUM, but I am not so sure if Percival Molson Stadium is near mountain.

"Percival Molson Memorial Stadium is an outdoor football stadium located downtown on the slopes of Mount Royal in Montreal, Quebec, Canada."   I used to play touch football there in the 70s, lived just down the street.