Montreal MLS Team 2021 Season

Big_M

Transaction : Le CF Montréal fait l’acquisition du défenseur slovène Aljaz « Kiki » Struna et d’une place de joueur étranger pour la saison 2021 du Houston Dynamo FC, en retour de l’attaquant Maxi Urruti et d’un choix de deuxième ronde lors du SuperDraft de la MLS en 2022.

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

Another player in the way of Yao and Waterman. :( can't blame Montreal if they think they aren't good enough. Hope they still manage to get minutes.

And Miller! That's 3 Canadians and 3 foreigners.  Henry will be sticking to his 3 man back, so they "should" be getting a few games.  At least Raitala and Fanni are gone, ideally they dump Camacho quickly, no reason for him to be taking minutes from the 3 Canadians, he's an unreliable wreck, however Henry seems to rate him. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

And Miller! That's 3 Canadians and 3 foreigners.  Henry will be sticking to his 3 man back, so they "should" be getting a few games.  At least Raitala and Fanni are gone, ideally they dump Camacho quickly, no reason for him to be taking minutes from the 3 Canadians, he's an unreliable wreck, however Henry seems to rate him. 

Totally agree there, every loss it seems in 2020 was from a Camacho mistake.  But who will take him in MLS??

I don’t understand how an organization can turn on its own identity and fan base which they built for 28 years and were even marketing with their Impact Montréalais up to the very end. This move had nothing to do about their fans and revealed how shallow and desperate they are for attention, insecure in their own identity, ironically indicative of today’s society. Is Impact a great name? Maybe not but so what!? it’s ours. We own it. IMFC is Montreal. Take some pride in yourselves! They’re trying to placate to who exactly? Mr. Saputo will realize, if not already, how such a poor idea it was. It goes against his own virtues: being someone who prides himself on heritage, identity, and community, he basically sold out to go corporate listening to advisors who have no real connection to the club. If he can easily do this without even consulting with his base then why should he expect anyone be loyal to him and CFM? What other traditions will he abolish if he can do this? I won’t buy any of their new merchandise and am strongly considering jumping to Mtl’s CPL club once they’re established if they don’t realize they made a grave error in judgement and about face.  They don’t deserve the fans support. IMFC pour toujours. As for the logo they can take their lame snowflake and “foot” themselves where the arrows point.  

It is not a particularly eloquent statement, don't think. Think I even see spelling errors (check first?).

Some of the arguments are not really any good--kids in the academy will not care what the name is if they can make the team, new generations will learn the new identity and have no nostalgia at all. The sentimental curve will fall yearly (with each new season those holding out will drop). If they get good results the fans will come out. The organisation can simply argue that it is the same ownership, same stadium, same player base, same coach, same league--that 90% is the same and much of that 90% is also important. 

As the shirt changes yearly and has gone through permutations, and some of the colour range seems to have been kept, not even that is a problem. The team will look more or less the same on the pitch. Anyways, so many away or 2nd-3rd shirts in football are unrecognizeable anyways, we are all used to a team looking totally different. We adjust.

So I am not downplaying the anger, I think if it happened with the Caps the reaction would be even more virulent, as that name is twice as old and has won championships. So I do think it is a really foolish idea, and it obviously comes out of some study somewhere that convinced them it was a good move. They actually thought it through, so you have to try to either understand the logic or conclude they have some serious corporate weakness going on. The logo is poor, and dull, it does not appear to be dynamic. I am not even sure it is the kind of radical logo change that fans come alongside with eventually, as happens with re-brandings that are done well by solid professionals (initial rejection, then acceptance and even enthusiasm).

The only possible logic I can see is that it is a preemptive strike against a future CPL with that same name appearing, which would have meant that one team would have the general and most generic branding of the city and leave the Impact their specific name. TFC is Toronto's club, no name can match that. York is clearly a tier down. So maybe they are looking to get ready for that eventuality. 

I understand why fans are pissed. 

But it gets me thinking about TFC. A team that has only existing since 2007. I cringe a little when the supporter's sing about their undying loyalty to a football team that is essentially just another brand for a sports conglomerate. A team that often treated its supporter's like shit.

These aren't teams that have been around since 1896.

15 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

I don’t understand how an organization can turn on its own identity and fan base which they built for 28 years and were even marketing with their Impact Montréalais up to the very end. This move had nothing to do about their fans and revealed how shallow and desperate they are for attention, insecure in their own identity, ironically indicative of today’s society. Is Impact a great name? Maybe not but so what!? it’s ours. We own it. IMFC is Montreal. Take some pride in yourselves! They’re trying to placate to who exactly? Mr. Saputo will realize, if not already, how such a poor idea it was. It goes against his own virtues: being someone who prides himself on heritage, identity, and community, he basically sold out to go corporate listening to advisors who have no real connection to the club. If he can easily do this without even consulting with his base then why should he expect anyone be loyal to him and CFM? What other traditions will he abolish if he can do this? I won’t buy any of their new merchandise and am strongly considering jumping to Mtl’s CPL club once they’re established if they don’t realize they made a grave error in judgement and about face.  They don’t deserve the fans support. IMFC pour toujours. As for the logo they can take their lame snowflake and “foot” themselves where the arrows point.  

I was an long time double season ticket holder( since the Supra days) of the Impact until the CPL was announced. Now waiting patiently (sometimes impatiently) for a club in Mtl area (Laval). I'm hoping no matter how this re-branding thing works out that you will also come and support the CPL club. Cheers. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I understand why fans are pissed. 

But it gets me thinking about TFC. A team that has only existing since 2007. I cringe a little when the supporter's sing about their undying loyalty to a football team that is essentially just another brand for a sports conglomerate. A team that often treated its supporter's like shit.

These aren't teams that have been around since 1896.

But even slightly older teams are recent inventions, like PSG. Even the name, had everything to do with associating the club with the hip rive gauche scene of the 60s, which also was meant to connect them to high-brow Paris. The only other team of note at the time was the Communist Party team, Étoile (Red Star), which is still around (and probably more intellectuals went to see them in fact, I think Samuel Beckett did when in Paris). So PSG is an invented club, and its fans today are not high brow but squarely middle and upper middle class and with many 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants who have done well in Paris. Frankly, you could change PSG to eliminate the reference to Saint Germain and it would not matter much. Only that now there's a team in 2nd tier, Paris FC, and if they go up and can find a way to expand their stadium, they may make a run at the PSG hegemony on soccer in the capital. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Agreed.  The rationale is a stretch at best sometimes. I really hope the French version reads better.

I agree, it reads like a guy pleading to his wife who just asked for a divorce. Lots of emotion but little substance offered. And what was provided is pretty weak.

In a way, they're like Saputo who also couldn't really express what Impact stood for when his current management asked him.