Montreal MLS Team 2021 Season

Big_M

Weird trade for FC Montreal, they send Jukka Raitala to Minnesota for Andrew Booth, the 2nd to last pick in the 2020 MLS Draft, a player Minnesota picked after Montreal had passed 3 times. (technically once, as after they passed, their next 2 picks were automatic passes).

Booth never signed with Minnesota, he signed with Grenville in USL league one (USA tier 3).

Minnesota United acquire veteran fullback Jukka Raitala in trade with CF Montréal | MLSsoccer.com

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

So much time distracted on this marketing change can anyone say if ❄️ signed their 1st DP 😝
I believe they only have Wanyama as their 1 DP at the moment with Taider and Piatti gone. 
I guess making the team competitive ain’t of major importance.

It’s not what’s in the substance that matters but what’s on the surface.” 

Never judge a book by its cover... or its contents either.”

And sign one to fill a spot.  CF Montréal sign attacker Bjorn Johnsen from South Korea, dual American/Norwegian so will count as a domestic for roster purposes.

Le CF Montréal fait l'acquisition de l'attaquant Bjørn Johnsen | CF Montréal (cfmontreal.com)

Norway - B. Johnsen - Profile with news, career statistics and history - Soccerway

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

CF Montréal acquire midfielder Joaquin Torres on loan from Newell’s Old Boys | MLSsoccer.com   That makes 31 players signed for 2021, minus the two loans they can sign one more, they must also be at the max for internationals on the roster.

I’d imagine more loans are coming, that roster is fulllll. And they still have cap room.

Great news..hopefully saputo turns back like mansueto..although this is bigger as the name and logo changed..either it stays and same number of ppl in stadium so nothing changes..or it stays and less ppl and lower revenues so he looks to sell..or he goes back to impact name..but the lesson to learn for owners as in chicago and louisville is that even if its private fans are behind it and supporting emotionally and financially so you have to at least listen to them and give some importance to their opinion

2 hours ago, Weng said:

Apparently Thierry Henry is in talks to become Bournemouth manager according to some English newspapers.

Could be a blessing in disguise for impact. His name is a draw but I have seen absolutley nothing from him as a manager. Some compensation and chance to upgrade.

That said Wonder if viera would come in lol I guess that would be a slight upgrade!

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

Could be a blessing in disguise for impact. His name is a draw but I have seen absolutley nothing from him as a manager. Some compensation and chance to upgrade.

That said Wonder if viera would come in lol I guess that would be a slight upgrade!

I might be good for the results on the field short term.  However negative for the long term project they're trying to build. 

The team is now built for Henry's style of play (3-5-2) and he has backups for every position.  They had a tonne of holes last year for the formation he used.  He and Renard seem aligned it would be a pity to have to start from scratch again. 

All this has got to be taking it's toll on Saputo, he just can't catch a break.  Montreal is such a fickle city.

On 2/17/2021 at 10:55 AM, brianjc said:

Montreal Manic Brings In Sandro Grande - Northern Tribune 

looking to build a stadium in either Montreal or laval.

testing the waters for CPL

hoping to reach out to some Impact alumni

Love it! I’ll switch allegiances for sure if that happens. They should bring the entire Clique back, “outsiders”, that would send a message.  I was a big Sandro Grande fan. Never liked how they treated Sandro after the choking out of the brother-in-law. 

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Patrice Bernier quits as assistant coach, remains with CF in player development returns as TVA analyst.

CF Montréal | Patrice Bernier quitte son poste d’entraîneur adjoint | La Presse

Maybe stepping out of the way in an impending coaching change? I just watched Bournemouth lose to QPR, they have lots of talent still having dropped from the EPL, I'm not sure Henry is the guy to get the most out of it!