Montreal MLS Team 2021 Season

Big_M

On 1/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

"Percival Molson Memorial Stadium is an outdoor football stadium located downtown on the slopes of Mount Royal in Montreal, Quebec, Canada."   I used to play touch football there in the 70s, lived just down the street.

Imagine the shots on TV... I'd make the identity of the CPL club focused on the Mountain - ALL Montrealers relates to it one way or another

maxresdefault.jpg

Mjlyden-20170527084506.jpg

Edited by Ansem

I'm sure those shots are just merch t-shirts and not jerseys.

I'm not a big fan of a complete rebrand including the stripes and colors, but ya, I still don't mind dropping the Impact name.  I understand the history and all, but still, change is ok.  People adapt and evolve.  The songs can stay, as historical tribute.  We can still have Impact as a nickname, a la Habs.  

In my travels and when hosting foreign friends and family the name has ALWAYS come up as a "what's with the U13 name?"

It might offend some longtime supporters on the short term, but no doubt it will finally give them some credit with the bigger soccer snobs, both local and abroad.

I choose to have faith and trust the plan and process.  They finally have some people with credibility in important roles, I'm sure they want to bury some of the previous bad press and decisions.  The only bad decision was not doing it when they joined the MLS in the first place, however now is still a better time than 2022 or any time in the future.  You make mistakes, you learn, grow and evolve, its the sign of a smart and mature organization.  I'd be more concerned if they weren't trying to adapt and make changes to something that is obviously not working.

Joey has been trying to attract investors and partners since they got into MLS, what they've done the past few years obviously isn't working.  Their image is a big reason for that, they have great jerseys, an ok stadium, a fairly good roster, front office has improved, why not drop the U13 name now and go for broke?  You'd have to be a moron to not try.

Edited by costarg

16 hours ago, costarg said:

I'm sure those shots are just merch t-shirts and not jerseys.

I'm not a big fan of a complete rebrand including the stripes and colors, but ya, I still don't mind dropping the Impact name.  I understand the history and all, but still, change is ok.  People adapt and evolve.  The songs can stay, as historical tribute.  We can still have Impact as a nickname, a la Habs.  

In my travels and when hosting foreign friends and family the name has ALWAYS come up as a "what's with the U13 name?"

It might offend some longtime supporters on the short term, but no doubt it will finally give them some credit with the bigger soccer snobs, both local and abroad.

I choose to have faith and trust the plan and process.  They finally have some people with credibility in important roles, I'm sure they want to bury some of the previous bad press and decisions.  The only bad decision was not doing it when they joined the MLS in the first place, however now is still a better time than 2022 or any time in the future.  You make mistakes, you learn, grow and evolve, its the sign of a smart and mature organization.  I'd be more concerned if they weren't trying to adapt and make changes to something that is obviously not working.

Joey has been trying to attract investors and partners since they got into MLS, what they've done the past few years obviously isn't working.  Their image is a big reason for that, they have great jerseys, an ok stadium, a fairly good roster, front office has improved, why not drop the U13 name now and go for broke?  You'd have to be a moron to not try.

An ok stadium? What don't you like?

On 1/4/2021 at 6:02 PM, Ansem said:

Imagine the shots on TV... I'd make the identity of the CPL club focused on the Mountain - ALL Montrealers relates to it one way or another

zSQIru-h0CuC297u-wH6A0L1z6f36ZHjJzgmWG-9

Mjlyden-20170527084506.jpg

Fond memories playing here in inter-league when at McGill in the early 80s. Remember one of the only successful dribbles of my life was cut short in the area by a double foul, one on each leg, landing me dead on my crotch. A teammate then botched the penalty. 

A week later my doctor told me I had mononucleosis and should not play contact sports until over it. 

Great location and nice venue, especially since it was redone.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

I love it!  But it is on the lower end of all the MLS stadium ranking lists I see.  I've heard loads of comments from "lego stadium", "just a bunch of stacked bleachers", to "poor location".  

It's a nice stadium on It's own right.

Compared to what's being built today...subpar

Location? Bad

Some teasers the club has shared for the announcement this Thursday. 

Apparently the new identity will feature around the city's often snowy environment. Some people are saying they think these videos and other pictures they've shared are teasing a new stadium but I highly doubt it. I think some stadium renovations are more realistic though, maybe field heaters and an extended roof to fully cover the stands? Starting the season with weeks of road games has always been a big problem.

Would be pretty weird for the club if they do indeed take that identity and continue to hide away from the snow in the Big O. 

Edited by Chad_Impact

17 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Some teasers the club has shared for the announcement this Thursday. 

Apparently the new identity will feature around the city's often snowy environment. Some people are saying they think these videos and other pictures they've shared are teasing a new stadium but I highly doubt it. I think some stadium renovations are more realistic though, maybe field heaters and an extended roof to fully cover the stands? Starting the season with weeks of road games has always been a big problem.

Would be pretty weird for the club if they do indeed take that identity and continue to hide away from the snow in the Big O. 

Interesting take, I hadn't heard that one yet.  That'd be a great direction.  

it's getting exciting, looking forward to the announcement.