Montreal MLS Team 2021 Season

Big_M

henry is way safer in montreal..doubt he leaves..there would be way more pressure there with promotion relegation..and he hasnt been good with montreal but still made playoffs and that is often enough to keep you in mls..dont see it happening

50 minutes ago, Big_M said:

henry is way safer in montreal..doubt he leaves..there would be way more pressure there with promotion relegation..and he hasnt been good with montreal but still made playoffs and that is often enough to keep you in mls..dont see it happening

Agree, if the Cherries don't go straight back up the expensive squad will start being dismantled due to FFP making the task of promotion that much more difficult, fans and owners lose their patience quickly!

hes the first winner in this one..gets out of there with one playoff appearance in one season so will put that as a positive in his resume and go everywhere saying he made playoffs..second winner in this one could be the club if they find someone better which they absolutely can and should..but truth is he was weak overall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

And Johnathan Sirois goes on loan to CPL side Valour FC along with Sean Rea.   MLS allows clubs to loan out 5 players a season.

So MTL is at its max...

Sirois, Rea, Giraldo, Yao and Ferdinand.

means Assi, Saliba and Zouhir will have to get time with the big boys, unlikely MTL U-23 plays anytime soon.

48 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

means Assi, Saliba and Zouhir will have to get time with the big boys, unlikely MTL U-23 plays anytime soon.

I wonder if these guys (especially the last 2) are even seen to be ready for CPL, let alone MLS.  I suspect they may be still getting time with the U18s (but not sure they are playing now).

Edited by An Observer
grammar correction

34 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I wonder if these guys (especially the last 2) are even seen to be ready for CPL, let alone MLS.  I suspect they may be still getting time with the U18s (but not sure they are playing now).

Well Assi did play the CL game and was signed before them, he’s highly rated by the club and I’ve heard only good things about Saliba. I know nothing of Zouhir but I wouldn’t be surprised if an exception is made to allow a loan for the others given the situation. It is a certainty that the U-18’s will not play until early June, Quebec just shutdown even further and has the strictest measures North America wide.

some people say Rea has the highest ceiling of the bunch while others say it’s Assi, I’ve seen the same about Assi. I’d imagine the club would have found loans for those furthest from the team.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

I’d imagine the club would have found loans for those furthest from the team.

But only if they are not so far that they wouldn't play for a CPL side; better to keep them in their system if that is the case.

Maybe they are closer than the others they loaned but they are also younger so that makes me think they are not ready.  We will see.  And possibly Assi is an exception as what I saw of him with the U15s from 2019 is that he is much more physically ready

So, how are my fellow impact/cdfm fans feeling going into this season after the offseason rebrand, coaching change, and roster overhaul? Seems like we're favorites to finish last according to a lot of MLS pundits. 

I personally feel very strange going into this year. While I am excited to see if some of these new players can surprise, I am also feeling less excited than usual because of the rebrand. I know it's a beaten drum, but I really just feel different towards this team since the change. 

Edited by Chad_Impact

I'm excited, yet sad and a little disappointed for the hardcore fans that can't seem to get over the rebrand.  I understand it, and I feel it too.  But the constant complaining, protesting and posting has gotta end, it's been 3 months, ones gotta make a choice and decide to either get on the bus or move on. 

We're at an interesting point in the rebuild.  However, I'm worried about the state of things in general.  Joey must be concerned about this situation, we only see bad press and very little at that.  However there are lots of positives if someone looks at the big picture.  I just hope Joey hangs in there and doesn't put the team up for sale.  He's got good intentions but has had a really hard time since joining MLS. 

Henry leaving - It couldn't come at a worse time for the season and rebrand.   It's a step back from a marketing perspective.  However, as much as i loved and respected him as a player, I honestly don't think he's a good coach.  He was part of the new image, and played a huge role in selecting the system and roster changes.  The team is a lot deeper than they were last year.  They just didn't have the players for the system they played last year.  It isn't the case anymore.  Now we just need to see if Nancy plays the same system, cause his roster is very deep and ingrained in the three man back. 

Gotta be worried about only having played 2 preseason games, especially considering how many new players there are.  its gonna take a while to gel and figure things out. 

Being based in the US for the foreseeable future is gonna be another major issue, again.  Its gonna be a year of transition.  

Yeah I definitely agree about Henry, I can't say I ever saw anything that makes me feel like we're missing out. It'll be a big loss on the marketing side but it'll be nice to see Piette play his actual position again 😆. I think Nancy will be a good coach if given the time, but it'll be a rough year like you said. 

As for the rebrand, I get what you're saying but it's tough to just let it go when it was done so badly. I think if they had changed the name but the rebrand was well thought out and people liked what they came up with, it would of went much more smoothly and people like myself would have come around quicker. Furthermore, I think things would of also been easier if they had just changed the logo and brand identity while keeping the name.  For me it's the combination of those two that I'm having a hard time getting around. I too am worried about this team and what could happen if Saputo one day just decides enough is enough and sells. I guess in the end, I feel the step they took brings us closer to that then away from it. 

Regardless, I don't want to see them do badly. I obviously do want the club to do well both on the field and in the stands. I'll be watching and hopefully the passion I felt does come back fully with what happens going forward. 

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Yeah I definitely agree about Henry, I can't say I ever saw anything that makes me feel like we're missing out. It'll be a big loss on the marketing side but it'll be nice to see Piette play his actual position again 😆. I think Nancy will be a good coach if given the time, but it'll be a rough year like you said. 

As for the rebrand, I get what you're saying but it's tough to just let it go when it was done so badly. I think if they had changed the name but the rebrand was well thought out and people liked what they came up with, it would of went much more smoothly and people like myself would have come around quicker. Furthermore, I think things would of also been easier if they had just changed the logo and brand identity while keeping the name.  For me it's the combination of those two that I'm having a hard time getting around. I too am worried about this team and what could happen if Saputo one day just decides enough is enough and sells. I guess in the end, I feel the step they took brings us closer to that then away from it. 

Regardless, I don't want to see them do badly. I obviously do want the club to do well both on the field and in the stands. I'll be watching and hopefully the passion I felt does come back fully with what happens going forward. 

Ditto for Piette.  I have no idea what Henry was thinking.

They have everything it takes for the rebuild to be a great success.  They finally have a solid front office and organization.  The owner was all in, I hope he still is, I really feel they're on the verge of something big. 

I agree the Impact had a great history, but they also had a lot of negativity surrounding the brand.  The logo and blue & black stripes were possibly the best look in the MLS.  The name however was very U13.  The old toxic stories and drama, the boys club with NDS, the mafia connection accusations, the revolving door of coaches, the local medias never ending negativity always ready to jump on the immigrant owned team and sport.  The tax situation is a classic example of him getting hosed by the city who doesn't care about soccer.  He's paying millions in taxes for a stadium he doesn't even own.  

He always wanted partner investors and never wanted to go at it alone, but all the baggage didn't make for an interesting partnership.  He took a step back to help the team, but it didn't seem to be enough.  I honestly feel the name/brand change is his last attempt at getting this thing going.  Or change the name and brand to sell the franchise and keep the rights to the Impact for the future?  Perhaps he's had it with the MLS and is eyeing CPL for the Impact?

Either way, loads of potential, its just gonna take a winning team to turn all this around and help people forget.  The covid situation could either help remove some of the bad feelings and press with the lack of home games or it'll make it that much harder for the team to be competitive due to the players isolation and attracting an experienced coach.  Can't forget the Bernier situation in all this.  That hurts more than Henry, yet they're both understandable and nothing to do with the rebrand. 

32 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ditto for Piette.  I have no idea what Henry was thinking.

They have everything it takes for the rebuild to be a great success.  They finally have a solid front office and organization.  The owner was all in, I hope he still is, I really feel they're on the verge of something big. 

I agree the Impact had a great history, but they also had a lot of negativity surrounding the brand.  The logo and blue & black stripes were possibly the best look in the MLS.  The name however was very U13.  The old toxic stories and drama, the boys club with NDS, the mafia connection accusations, the revolving door of coaches, the local medias never ending negativity always ready to jump on the immigrant owned team and sport.  The tax situation is a classic example of him getting hosed by the city who doesn't care about soccer.  He's paying millions in taxes for a stadium he doesn't even own.  

He always wanted partner investors and never wanted to go at it alone, but all the baggage didn't make for an interesting partnership.  He took a step back to help the team, but it didn't seem to be enough.  I honestly feel the name/brand change is his last attempt at getting this thing going.  Or change the name and brand to sell the franchise and keep the rights to the Impact for the future?  Perhaps he's had it with the MLS and is eyeing CPL for the Impact?

Either way, loads of potential, its just gonna take a winning team to turn all this around and help people forget.  The covid situation could either help remove some of the bad feelings and press with the lack of home games or it'll make it that much harder for the team to be competitive due to the players isolation and attracting an experienced coach.  Can't forget the Bernier situation in all this.  That hurts more than Henry, yet they're both understandable and nothing to do with the rebrand. 

I think this idea of leaving for the Can PL is laughable and needs to stop.

the move would cost Joey 400 million$ CAD easily, why would he essentially render his franchise worthless ? His team is worth the whole can PL how many times over ???