Who becomes the first MNT player to hit the century mark?

Bertuzzi44

Who becomes the first MNT player to hit the century mark?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which player hits 100 caps first?

• Atiba Hutchinson (84 caps, 37 years old)
    • Samuel Piette (49 caps, 24 years old)
    • Alphonso Davies (17 caps, 19 years old)
    • Jonathan David (12 caps, 20 years old)
    • None of the above

Seeing as Atiba "retired" from International Football, i didn't give him my vote, althought he is very capable . I also think Sam Piette might slow down in caps with the emergence of Eustaquio, Kaye and any other future young CM we got down the pipe line. The DDs i think are almost guaranteed over 100 caps unless something catastrophic happens, i gave Alphonso my vote cause hes got the head start 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

I think Piette can make it. If Hutch keeps playing, it looks like he will be more selective, so I don’t think he gets to 100. Davies and David are more likely to get to 100 than Piette, but I still like Piette’s chances of doing it.

This is a tough one. Even if Atiba stays for the rest of the cycle, I don’t think there’s enough games left and he definitely won’t be playing every game if we have multi game windows. 

Piette, it all depends on if he even makes it to 100 in general I’d say. He’s a guy who will generally make the squad every time for sure in the next 5+ years but it’s a matter of making the 11 from there. He has Eustaquio to compete with now and if Fraser/Kaye/Okello/whoever progress to a better league than MLS, that will make it harder for him if he’s at the same level. He seems to have the leadership aspect going for him though and he already is half way there. 

I still went with Davies, he’s the safest bet to basically play every game other than NA based camps (another advantage for Piette). He’ll rack up caps the quickest. Still a coin flip for me, all depends on if Piette even makes it to 100 like I said. 

You guys are too optimisitic.  Will we play enough games for anyone to get to 100.  Look Atiba, 16 years with the CMNT, 84 caps.  Unless we see an uptick in games Davies/David will need to be superhumans like atiba and last until they are mid 30's.  And with the CPL we'll be putting out so many great players so much depth Davies might not get all the games he should (wink wink).  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

You guys are too optimisitic.  Will we play enough games for anyone to get to 100.  Look Atiba, 16 years with the CMNT, 84 caps.  Unless we see an uptick in games Davies/David will need to be superhumans like atiba and last until they are mid 30's.  And with the CPL we'll be putting out so many great players so much depth Davies might not get all the games he should (wink wink).  

Atiba was only playing 8 WCQ matches, 6-8 GC matches, and maybe 4-6 friendlies in each 4-year cycle. With Nations League, better prospects in WCQ, and increased friendlies, the Daves should rack up caps at nearly twice the rate.

With Nations League and what not we aren't going to be in circumstances where we're aren't playing the barest min. in any given year anymore.  Still, not every player is going to be available for every moment of their career for NT duty either.

One of the D's just for the simple fact they both have a healthy start and A LOT of years in front of them.  Sounds funny measuring Piette's days already, and I do rate him, but...

3 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

If anyone does it I am confident it will be Piette. He has played in 8/11 matches in the last year. Assuming he stays consistent with his caps and I think he will it would take him only 6 years to reach 100  caps I think.

Even with Eustaquio taking his D-MID games??  Piette  got a hell of a head start, but will the second half of his national team carer go as well??  Atiba who has lasted until age 37 and is a long way off....I'm still skeptical.  Hutch probably wont pass JDG.  

40 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Even with Eustaquio taking his D-MID games??  Piette  got a hell of a head start, but will the second half of his national team carer go as well??  Atiba who has lasted until age 37 and is a long way off....I'm still skeptical.  Hutch probably wont pass JDG.  

But... we haven't seen the best of Piette yet! 

45 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I don’t really think Eustaquio is better than Piette at this point. Piette’s been consistent throughout his international career and is likely always going to be at least a solid sub off the bench when we’re defending a lead. Also, I think Eustaquio is better on the ball but Piette is a rock defensively which we need with so so CBs.

All Piette needs is ~6 games per year for 8 more years to reach 100.  Very likely he'll still be a major factor at 33.  National teams tend to play with lineups way more than clubs.  Factor in tournaments and injuries (which never happen to him - the guy is made of steel), and he can reach it.

If this question was asked seven years ago, I would have said Kyle Bekker because he was getting senior caps before playing a minute of professional club football.  Seriously, I would probably put my money on Piette because of his durability.