Theo Corbeanu

jordan

6 minutes ago, pod818 said:

Maybe his club MK Dons really didn't want to let him go. They are fighting for promotion. I'm not sure why people just assume Theo outright refused the call up. These situations are complex between the club, player and national team

I really wish all Top-3 leagues in each nation could just pause for the Break. But Dons literally has 3 games during the break (or close) and a 4th right after - not sure what UK's rules are for quarantine. 

But it doesn't make much sense for them. League 1 teams don't really provide a lot of players for international teams... especially high quality ones.

Edited by Hawkguy

43 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Pretty simple. 

He's 19. He just went to a new club that's in a promotion battle where he's been thrust directly into the starting line-up and looked like their best player. 

If he misses 4 games - he's out. Pretty simple. Our three games are huge, and I'm sure in the discussion playing time came up. If he was coming over to play a large part in the 3-games, he'd have probably came. If he was coming over to be the 3rd option off the bench, it's the right decision. And its the right decision for Canada too. As a country, we should want Corbeanu moving up to the Championship or Premier League next season. If he's cast out at Dons for leaving during their promotion battle, he's headed back to League 1 next year. And that hurts both him and Canada. 

Exactly. So it's simple that then including him on the team later on doesn't make any sense and goes against everything Herdman has implied re: team cohesion.

Everyone understands why he isn't here. No one needs that explained. It's the inconsistency of approaches that some are pointing out that no one has an answer for. If you're not up for these games, which ones are you up for? If he can't miss some games in the third tier, what about Esutaquio at Porto? It's not a good look, tier three loan starter or LigaNos starter. 

Sometimes playing the long game omits you from the short one. I'm all for the soft approach with young guys, particularly those that have alternative options. He doesn't need to be banished or made an example of, but I don't see why we'd include him later on either at the expense of guys that took the risks and have plenty more on the line. On to the next round for him.

Edited by The Real Marc

He’s got lots of time to rejoin the national team. By staying in England, he can directly help his club. The truth is, he probably wouldn’t see much action with Canada anyway. He probably wouldn’t start any of the matches and would likely come off the bench for 10 minutes in maybe one of them. Plenty of other players that can make more of an impact. No sense leaving your club to sit on the bench.

Realistically, he is a long shot for Qatar anyway.  This will likely impede his chances of a possible call unless his play makes him undroppable.  But aside from that, I am sure everyone knows the score.  His club time is very important right now and if advancing his career comes at the cost of reducing an already-slim chance of playing in Qatar, it is probably an acceptable trade off.  It’s not like this will impact things forever.   

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Realistically, he is a long shot for Qatar anyway

This fact really dawned on me the other day. Unless FIFA extends rosters for Qatar, there's going to be a couple guys that we all love and consider key rotation pieces that will have to miss out. I don't envy Herdman and co when it comes down to that

39 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Exactly. So it's simple that then including him on the team later on doesn't make any sense and goes against everything Herdman has implied re: team cohesion.

Everyone understands why he isn't here. No one needs that explained. It's the inconsistency of approaches that some are pointing out that no one has an answer for. If you're not up for these games, which ones are you up for? If he can't miss some games in the third tier, what about Esutaquio at Porto? It's not a good look, tier three loan starter or LigaNos starter. 

Sometimes playing the long game omits you from the short one. I'm all for the soft approach with young guys, particularly those that have alternative options. He doesn't need to be banished or made an example of, but I don't see why we'd include him later on either at the expense of guys that took the risks and have plenty more on the line. On to the next round for him.

Herdman wouldn't talk about him the way he did in the interview if he was going to be omitting him. It's very likely a decision made WITH Herdman involved. 

Eustaquio is also nowhere close to the same situation. Porto have tried getting him for awhile. He's missing 1 game in comparison to 3 or 4. And he's established.  

If you don't think Herdman was involved in this decision, I'd say you're crazy considering how Herdman talked about Theo yesterday.  

Also... who has more on the line than Theo, club wise, right now? 

Edited by Hawkguy

38 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I'm pretty sure Eustaquio isn't here yet because he tested positive for covid. 

Not remotely close to the Corbeanu situation. Which is all mostly speculation anyways 

16 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Also... who has more on the line than Theo, club wise, right now? 

Buchanan.  Trying to break into the team and they've brought other reinforcements in that can play his position.

CB is in the hunt for the league title and plays the current leaders on Thursday.  Play another game and a cup game during the break.

28 minutes ago, narduch said:

Man everybody is just speculating.

For all we know his vaccination status was the problem 

I mean it is speculation but it isn’t completely unfounded.  He just moved there, his team is fighting for promotion, and playing for Canada (prob mostly sitting on the bench) would cause him to miss 4 league games.  We may not have proof that this is the reason for the declined call but I think it is pretty clear that there is a strong case for a fringe player to stay with his club right now.  

15 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Buchanan.  Trying to break into the team and they've brought other reinforcements in that can play his position.

CB is in the hunt for the league title and plays the current leaders on Thursday.  Play another game and a cup game during the break.

The difference is that Corbeanu is trying to establish himself as a professional footballer and Buchanan is much more established, relatively speaking, and can afford to step away. Buchanan won't be losing that much ground on the other reinforcements in terms of games played because Club Brugge breaks for the international window (cup game withstanding). MK Dons doesn't. 

Buchanan has arguably more to play for in general, sure, but I am not sure that's the right question to ask.

The better question is which player can more afford to step away for national team duty right now?

Edited by Obinna

I seem to recall that a big part of Herdman's mandate when hired was to make us competitive for the 2026 World Cup.  So, I believe that they are already planning for the next World Cup, even while trying to qualify for this one.  I'm sure there are players that are more slotted for the 2022 competition, and others for the one after that.  Young players like Corbeanu can still be an important part of the plan for the next World Cup while playing a minimal role for this one.  I wouldn't panic if any of them are left out of this year's competition; it doesn't mean they are done with the team.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The difference is that Corbeanu is trying to establish himself as a professional footballer and Buchanan is much more established, relatively speaking, and can afford to step away. Buchanan won't be losing that much ground on the other reinforcements in terms of games played because Club Brugge breaks for the international window. MK Dons doesn't. 

Buchanan has arguably more to play for in general, sure, but I am not sure that's the right question to ask.

The better question is which player can more afford to step away for national team duty right now?

I see it the other way actually.  Corbeanu is on a loan, regardless of what happens with MK Dons, he'll be back with Wolves next year or on loan somewhere else.  Everything re-starts for him in July.

Whereas Buchanan could lose his starting job.  Competition for places at Club Brugge will be cutthroat.  Worst case scenario is his replacement is a Phonzie-like revelation and he find himself like Hernandez on the outside looking in.  This is his main gig for the foreseeable future.  Going on a trip around the Americas after only two games in the squad is risky, especially at a time when the club might need him.

1 hour ago, pod818 said:

Maybe his club MK Dons really didn't want to let him go. They are fighting for promotion. I'm not sure why people just assume Theo outright refused the call up. These situations are complex between the club, player and national team

MK Dons are fighting for promotion, they can go fuck themselves. 

Bruges are fighting for the Belgian league title and a Champions League spot. Basel the same in Switzerland. Cornelius' team trying to stay up in Greek top flight, he was playing Crete the day before he flew to Miami, Theo had direct flights from an airport down the road from him FFS. Larin and Hutch are struggling with the club trying to get back into European competition. Lille are struggling to make Europe too and are selling everyone else so risking David, and risking a 50 million euro transfer fee, that is not of their concern? Vitoria is barely above relegation and he may be on his last contract, if he gets injured in El Salvador his career is over. 

The English clubs have never treated Canada well, we can objectively say that the FA that has treated Canadian national team soccer the worst is the English FA, by far and hands down. 

If it is just Theo with a lack of clarity on what it means to represent us, then he's out. If it is something else, fine, I'm happy about it. But let's not wash it over. 

I guess I'm also teed off by the idiots on this board doing lineups and putting Theo ahead of Millar. It is embarrassing.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

19 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

So a guy who was just bought for a big fee and got brought in to the top flight in Belgium into a Champions League quality side has more to lose than a guy who is trying to get into a higher flight in England? 

Not to mention Tajon isn't coming to sit on the bench. 

This is not even close to the same. 

Club Brugge has millions to lose of they don't use Tajon when he returns. MK Dons has nothing to lose except maybe an angry Premier League side for not playing him. 

8 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I see it the other way actually.  Corbeanu is on a loan, regardless of what happens with MK Dons, he'll be back with Wolves next year or on loan somewhere else.  Everything re-starts for him in July.

Whereas Buchanan could lose his starting job.  Competition for places at Club Brugge will be cutthroat.  Worst case scenario is his replacement is a Phonzie-like revelation and he find himself like Hernandez on the outside looking in.  This is his main gig for the foreseeable future.  Going on a trip around the Americas after only two games in the squad is risky, especially at a time when the club might need him.

Theo playing well with Dons is the difference between him going to another flight or staying in League 1. 

Tajon, at worst, would get loaned to another Jupiter team.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

MK Dons are fighting for promotion, they can go fuck themselves. 

Bruges are fighting for the Belgian league title and a Champions League spot. Basel the same in Switzerland. Cornelius' team trying to stay up in Greek top flight, he was playing Crete the day before he flew to Miami, Theo had direct flights from an airport down the road from him FFS. Larin and Hutch are struggling with the club trying to get back into European competition. Lille are struggling to make Europe too and are selling everyone else so risking David, and risking a 50 million euro transfer fee, that is not of their concern? Vitoria is barely above relegation and he may be on his last contract, if he gets injured in El Salvador his career is over. 

The English clubs have never treated Canada well, we can objectively say that the FA that has treated Canadian national team soccer the worst is the English FA, by far and hands down. 

If it is just Theo with a lack of clarity on what it means to represent us, then he's out. If it is something else, fine, I'm happy about it. But let's not wash it over. 

I guess I'm also teed off by the idiots on this board doing lineups and putting Theo ahead of Millar. It is embarrassing.

My goodness you're salty. However, Millar deserves gametime regardless right now. It's his time to prove he's ready for a bigger role.  

Some of you take players "declining" way too seriously, lol. My goodness. 

Just now, El Hombre said:

I can see that argument. Corbeanu has time on his side as well because he's only 19. Buchanan is 22 and will shortly be 23, so he needs to firm up his position at Brugge very quickly.

This is a part of being an international footballer who transferred to a club on a large sum. If you're Buchanan you need to take responsibility for your country getting to the world cup and when you return you need to make sure your price tag with Club Brugge is justified.

Corbeanu was faced with a choice last summer, does he go to the Gold Cup with the national team, or does he join Wolves for pre-season and see if he can stake a first team claim? He gained some great experience with the national team, never gave himself much of a first team chance, and subsequently went out on loan. Then his loan never went as expected and his parent club pulled him out of there. I can't blame Theo if he wanted to repay Wolves by staying at Dons considering all of that. 

I bet Herdman would have liked to have him, but I think all sides move on without issue. 

Sorry and just to add my two cents. Theo is only 19 …he has a long way to go everyone has their own pathway. He could be inThe premier league or in league 1 next year no one can actually say. Unless u have a crystal ball…(From someone who has been through it) 

lets hope he kicks on with MK Dons and does really well. Then he picks himself for the nationals team. That’s the msg I’ve always told Liam… let your form do the talking. 

On a side note MK Dons lost probably their best player this season Matt Oreilly(a former Fulham teammate of Liam and Ryan Sessegnon of Tottenham) he was their most creative player and was their captain he went to Celtic this week… let’s see how MK Dons get on with Matt…

Edited by spitfire