Theo Corbeanu

jordan

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If the reasons Theo explained to Herdman were related to wanting to settle into a loan deal at a new club, for me he is out of the NT picture. 

I have never seen a player ever turn down a call up for Spain for anything other than health reasons, except for friendlies. I have even see guys miss a brother's wedding or miss a birth of a child. It is just a general principle. We are used to stuff in Canada because we've been hard pressed to get players to commit. Now, and after the Arfield debate, things should change. 

If Theo has other personal motives that are legit, I am sure Herdman will accept them. If not, I'd say he's hurt his chances going forwards and hurt them for Qatar if we make it and his curve stays positive.

I feel as if this is a bit harsh, but I can’t say I don’t share the same sentiment.

he always seemed to be ready/proud to rep the reds, he knows this is a huge window for us and himself with Phonzie being out. I’ll give him benefit of the doubt though 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If the reasons Theo explained to Herdman were related to wanting to settle into a loan deal at a new club, for me he is out of the NT picture. 

I have never seen a player ever turn down a call up for Spain for anything other than health reasons, except for friendlies. I have even see guys miss a brother's wedding or miss a birth of a child. It is just a general principle. We are used to stuff in Canada because we've been hard pressed to get players to commit. Now, and after the Arfield debate, things should change. 

If Theo has other personal motives that are legit, I am sure Herdman will accept them. If not, I'd say he's hurt his chances going forwards and hurt them for Qatar if we make it and his curve stays positive.

So when David turned a call up to the Gold Cup, was he out of the NT picture for you? Same with Davies? Same with Hutchinson whenever he's declined call ups? Same with Jebbison, Dias, Flores before they've even committed?

I get that humans are reactive creatures, but come on, let's use some common sense.

7 minutes ago, frmr said:

So when David turned a call up to the Gold Cup, was he out of the NT picture for you? Same with Davies? Same with Hutchinson whenever he's declined call ups? Same with Jebbison, Dias, Flores before they've even committed?

I get that humans are reactive creatures, but come on, let's use some common sense.

I think he’s referring to more important games like WCQ. Still a little harsh tho 

3 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I think he’s referring to more important games like WCQ. Still a little harsh tho 

"I have never seen a player ever turn down a call up for Spain for anything other than health reasons, except for friendlies."

This would suggest otherwise. It's more than a little harsh, and it's flimsy logic.

Edited by frmr

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

"I have never seen a player ever turn down a call up for Spain for anything other than health reasons, except for friendlies."

This would suggest otherwise. It's more than a little harsh, and it's flimsy logic.

My brain skipped over that part apparently, it’s still early on the west coast 

12 minutes ago, frmr said:

Davies didn't decline the Gold Cup call up.

Also with the Corbeanu situation I don't believe he just turned down the call up, MK Dons had a large part in this. 

23 minutes ago, frmr said:

I was very clear and in clear minority here when it came to the Gold Cup: we needed to play a B team. It was an unimportant tournament, relatively speaking, and we are now benefitting from players doing the right thing having proper holidays and doing preseasons with our clubs. 

Our injury rate is very low if you want to analyze that. 

Players in serious soccer nations don't cherry pick, the commitment rate is very high. For important matches of course. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was very clear and in clear minority here when it came to the Gold Cup: we needed to play a B team. It was an unimportant tournament, relatively speaking, and we are now benefitting from players doing the right thing having proper holidays and doing preseasons with our clubs. 

That doesn't change the fact that you saying Theo should be out of the NT picture is a ridiculous take.

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Players in serious soccer nations don't cherry pick, the commitment rate is very high. For important matches of course. 

Sorry, am I missing something here. We didn't play a B team. We largely used the identical squad that has been representing us during the qualifiers, the only guys missing from the Gold Cup were David, Hutch, and Borjan. Davies was in the squad and pulled out due to injury. Other than David, which player its truly benefiting from 'proper holiday and preseason'.

If we're benefitting from anything it's the added time the guys spent playing together and developing chemistry.

4 minutes ago, frmr said:

That doesn't change the fact that you saying Theo should be out of the NT picture is a ridiculous take.

If he refused a call-up for a bad reason he should be out or put to the side. Herdman will take care of that si it's not my call. But Herdman is consistent.

If he wants to go with Canada he goes and FIFA backs him. That is standard in world football and what's ridiculous is that League One fan boys don't know the rules, are blinded by their biases and are arguing with it. 

4 minutes ago, Floortom said:

It's a bit much to say he's out of the picture for sure. But it's not a secret that Managers often get pissed at things like this and hold grudges. Hopefully Herdman understands and it's not a huge issue

Could very well be possible that Dons (or Wolves) asked Herdman to not select him. 

And to be frank, at the end of the day it's probably better. If he goes to Canada, he loses his spot at Dons. And then next year he's starting in the same position. Better for Canada if he proves himself here and gets to a higher level. I'm sure if Herdman told Theo he was starting all 3 games, he may have told Dons where to go lol

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If he refused a call-up for a bad reason he should be out or put to the side. Herdman will take care of that si it's not my call. But Herdman is consistent.

If he wants to go with Canada he goes and FIFA backs him. That is standard in world football and what's ridiculous is that League One fan boys don't know the rules, are blinded by their biases and are arguing with it. 

People know the rules - but many National Teams also respect clubs. Could have a been a mix of Wolves, Dons, and Herdman. 

Yes, Theo could say "Sorry Dons, I'm going to play with Canada." I'm sure he discussed with Herdman. But at the end of the day... that's probably worse for Canada in the long run. He's starting on a team he just went to in a promotion battle - if he leaves now and misses 3-4 games, he's out of the side for sure and then starts back in League 1 next year instead of having a chance to move up to the Championship or even Premier League.

Edited by Hawkguy

Just now, Approve My Account Pls said:

Sorry, am I missing something here. We didn't play a B team. We largely used the identical squad that has been representing us during the qualifiers, the only guys missing from the Gold Cup were David, Hutch, and Borjan. Davies was in the squad and pulled out due to injury. Other than David, which player its truly benefiting from 'proper holiday and preseason'.

If we're benefitting from anything it's the added time the guys spent playing together and developing chemistry.

I never said we played any letter of a team. I said I argued for a B team and folks argued it was an important tournament at the level of WC qualifying. 

Of course threads here for WCQ have 10x the posts, and TV viewership and press is massively higher than for those Gold Cup games because fans aren't stupid. They know what's important and what is not. 

Turning down a Canada call-up puts you outside a brotherhood, and I didn't set those terms, Herdman did.

Let's not act like he turned down the opportunity to start 3 matches. If he started a single match it's only because of a catastrophe of injuries/suspensions. He just moved clubs. I'm sure Herdman and Theo and his club(s) (Wolves also have a say here) discussed it all. It's absurd for us to be saying cast him out of the National Team with zero information, let's all dial it back 20-30%. Unless it's reported Theo told Herdman to shove it or something like that, there's no harm no foul

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

I never said we played any letter of a team. I said I argued for a B team and folks argued it was an important tournament at the level of WC qualifying. 

Of course threads here for WCQ have 10x the posts, and TV viewership and press is massively higher than for those Gold Cup games because fans aren't stupid. They know what's important and what is not. 

Turning down a Canada call-up puts you outside a brotherhood, and I didn't set those terms, Herdman did.

You're blowing this up when even Herdman isn't. Herdman said he's not available, not that he turned us down. 

I totally get that he doesn't want to miss out having joined a new club. Missing club games now could derail his year. But I'm not sure how you turn down / don't get released for these games - three super critical games, and one against such a big time opponent for us - and make the team if we actually make the World Cup.

Edited by The Real Marc

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's fair, I'm not going to argue that Gold Cup is comparable to WCQ. But I think it's fair that those matches really have propelled us into the current form we are in. Although we lost, that Mexico match in my mind was really a turning point in the mentality our guys play with. Even in the Suriname and Haiti qualifiers, I found us to be quite timid despite our weapons, but the Gold Cup changed that.

Also I'd argue the terms Herdman set are it's dependent on the reason for turning down call-ups. Herdman never definitively left Arfield out and always left the door open. As far as I can tell, Theo's always been proud and happy to be with the team, but he just moved club and it's a really delicate time. If him leaving pisses Dons off and he barely plays until the end of the year, he could be fucked moving forward. But he's getting a lot of playing time, playing time Herdman can't give him. And he'll be better for the national team when the time comes because of it.

2 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

I think Theo not coming comes down to a talk between Herdman, MK Dons, and Corbeanu and they worked out the situation. Not Corbeanu just rejecting the call up. I think he will be on the World Cup squad.

I hope it's this. 

For purposes of consistency it's the only scenario Herdman can accept. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I totally get that he doesn't want to miss out having joined a new club. Missing club games now could derail his year. But I'm not sure how you turn down / don't get released for these games - three super critical games, and one against such a big time opponent for us - and make the team if we actually make the World Cup.

Pretty simple. 

He's 19. He just went to a new club that's in a promotion battle where he's been thrust directly into the starting line-up and looked like their best player. 

If he misses 4 games - he's out. Pretty simple. Our three games are huge, and I'm sure in the discussion playing time came up. If he was coming over to play a large part in the 3-games, he'd have probably came. If he was coming over to be the 3rd option off the bench, it's the right decision. And its the right decision for Canada too. As a country, we should want Corbeanu moving up to the Championship or Premier League next season. If he's cast out at Dons for leaving during their promotion battle, he's headed back to League 1 next year. And that hurts both him and Canada. 

5 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

I think Theo not coming comes down to a talk between Herdman, MK Dons, and Corbeanu and they worked out the situation. Not Corbeanu just rejecting the call up. I think he will be on the World Cup squad.

Right? Herdman brought it up himself in the interview. He said "Unfortunately, he's not available this window." Then talked about his tremendous form and how it's a shame he wasn't available. There was no ill will there. And I think deep down, he realizes this is best for the Canadian program. Theo is too good for League 1, but if he doesn't get a chance to prove it, he's going right back there next year.