York9 - Season Thread 2020

It was a very disappointing tournament on many levels for Y9. 

Despite one of the most talented teams on paper Y9 disappointed on every level.  The attack rarely looked dangerous, the midfield allowed the opposition to dictate the game instead of imposing their will, defensively the team lacked focus leading to the majority of the goals against.

Five of the seven goals scored against Y9 were conceded in the first or last 5 minutes of a half (Ottawa 2, Pacific 1, Forge 1 and Halifax 1).  The second of Forge's was 7 minutes into the 2nd half.  Those are moments that speak to a lack of concentration.

There was no imagination in attack.  Nearly every attack had the same end game in mind and that becomes very easy to defend at any level, never mind against professionals.  There are no 1-2 balls, no line breaking runs, too many receive the ball standing still with their back to goal. 

I didn't want to say it during the season but now that we've been eliminated I'll say it.  They continually reminded me of watching Aron Winter's 2011 TFC.

I didn't see a whole lot of York9 in this tournament, the match I did see they beat Forge!😀 It's always going to be difficult for coaches to change things up in what is essentially a quarter of a season, do you Y9 fans think the team had potential to improve in a full season, it looked like they had the talent?

11 hours ago, gator said:

I didn't see a whole lot of York9 in this tournament, the match I did see they beat Forge!😀 It's always going to be difficult for coaches to change things up in what is essentially a quarter of a season, do you Y9 fans think the team had potential to improve in a full season, it looked like they had the talent?

They struggled with injuries so if it was a full season they would have gotten better. Losing ugarizza was a big blow too. 

28 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

They struggled with injuries so if it was a full season they would have gotten better. Losing ugarizza was a big blow too. 

This is not the first time I've seen this.  I don't doubt that Y9 did lose a lot of international talent this season and they were worse off because of it. 

Based on the 7 games I watched I don't think Uggarizza would've been that much of a difference.  The problem in attack this season was creating quality scoring chances.  Rivero is a talented player as well but he got almost zero service, his only goal was a fantastic piece of talent.  You'd be hard pressed to come up with any more clear cut chances that Uggarizza would've done better than Rivero.

The one area Uggarizza could've made a slightly bigger impact would've been due to his height (6 ft vs Rivero at 5'7") but I would also argue that the quality of crosses wasn't good enough this season to say this would've been a big difference maker. 

32 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

This is not the first time I've seen this.  I don't doubt that Y9 did lose a lot of international talent this season and they were worse off because of it. 

Based on the 7 games I watched I don't think Uggarizza would've been that much of a difference.  The problem in attack this season was creating quality scoring chances.  Rivero is a talented player as well but he got almost zero service, his only goal was a fantastic piece of talent.  You'd be hard pressed to come up with any more clear cut chances that Uggarizza would've done better than Rivero.

The one area Uggarizza could've made a slightly bigger impact would've been due to his height (6 ft vs Rivero at 5'7") but I would also argue that the quality of crosses wasn't good enough this season to say this would've been a big difference maker. 

From just the highlights ive seen, Ugarrizza is a fairly creative player himself almost like a poor mans Firmino. Maybe they could have setup attacks through him. 

22 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

I didn't want to say it during the season but now that we've been eliminated I'll say it.  They continually reminded me of watching Aron Winter's 2011 TFC.

Wasn't Brennan coaching in the TFC academy then?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

It'll be great that the field will be closer to the stands, but losing that grass sucks. The grandstand itself is top notch (it's better than the stands in Halifax, Calgary, Edmonton and Langford) so being able to bring the game closer to the fans should be a boon.

Are they really just going to leave 75% of the track there instead of doing something with that space, though?

37 minutes ago, RS said:

It'll be great that the field will be closer to the stands, but losing that grass sucks. The grandstand itself is top notch (it's better than the stands in Halifax, Calgary, Edmonton and Langford) so being able to bring the game closer to the fans should be a boon.

Are they really just going to leave 75% of the track there instead of doing something with that space, though?

Probably just leave it to save money. I used to be mad about the grass but if its a decent turf it wont be too bad, I guess i got used to turf at the island games. 

Always comes down to usage.  It's surprising (or maybe not) how quickly an excellent turf can fatigue into a mediocre product.  In a way, I guess, not unlike an overused grass surface.  Except of course the turf won't grow back.

It's also surprising (or maybe not) how reluctant facilities are to replace worn turf. 

"It was supposed to last 4 years!". 

"No, it was supposed to last 5,000 hours.  No one told you using the thing 24/7 wasn't going to burn it out in a year."

7 hours ago, RS said:

Seems so weird. Almost as if there is phases, but nothing seems to suggest so.

Lets see if York9 can get it to look anything like this.

image.png.13b8e068cd92b05b368fed1ae06aaac4.png

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I like the loan and don't care that its fifth tier, it's like David Edgar's situation, he just needs playing time. 

I agree. Not any worse than the many 2nd divisions in smaller nations that Canadian players end up at.

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

I agree. Not any worse than the many 2nd divisions in smaller nations that Canadian players end up at.

Barnet is one of the two or three biggest clubs in the National League (formerly the Conference). I would imagine they're doing everything they can to get back into League 2 sooner rather than later.