Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

ted

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I have a feeling MDJ will be a player/ coach next year. Thoughts?

Sounds reasonablble. I was posting back and forth on IG with Issey and MDJ and it sounded like both will be staying around the club. I can't really see Issey playing based on the limited impact he had this year but maybe both are sidestepping into coaching.

5 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I have a feeling MDJ will be a player/ coach next year. Thoughts?

I could see it. I don't think that's how it'll roll out though.

I think MDJ will be a player through the Spring Season. If he remains healthy, I expect that to continue through the year, with an announcement of some sort of trainer/coach position for the off season, centred around Pacific's new training centre. Can see him coming back to Pacific as a trainer/assistant for 2021.

1 minute ago, nolando said:

Sounds reasonablble. I was posting back and forth on IG with Issey and MDJ and it sounded like both will be staying around the club. I can't really see Issey playing based on the limited impact he had this year but maybe both are sidestepping into coaching.

Issey is gone, from the team itself anyways. If he remains even tangentially involved, I see him (and potentially Haber) moving into a role at the new training centre sooner rather than later.

I also think Campbell will be moving up to bigger and better things.

7 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Don't want to see player/coaches in CPL, looks bush league.

We regularly laud the Belgian league as a desirable place for our young, up-and-coming players to aspire towards. I've seen it hailed as a great league for developing quality players who go on to the Big 5 leagues. Anderlecht is one of its undisputed giants. Never heard it called bush league, though. 🙄

7 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

We regularly laud the Belgian league as a desirable place for our young, up-and-coming players to aspire towards. I've seen it hailed as a great league for developing quality players who go on to the Big 5 leagues. Anderlecht is one of its undisputed giants. Never heard it called bush league, though. 🙄

Wasn’t Kompany as a player/coach an unmitigated disaster, forcing him to step back and focus mostly on playing this season?

15 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Seems to have that canotation in NA with many. I remember reading/hearing in the run up to launch of the league how CPL didn't want to have any player/coach setups (will link if I can find it).

15 hours ago, Aird25 said:

What does everyone think the odds are that Campbell is back?

Slim.

My guesses:

Not returning in 2020: Campbell, Haber, Issey, McCurdy, Norman, and Smith

50/50: Verhoven, Verhoeven, Gonzalez, Blasco

I'd say about 80% chance for the rest of the players on the roster.

1 hour ago, ted said:

Slim.

My guesses:

Not returning in 2020: Campbell, Haber, Issey, McCurdy, Norman, and Smith

50/50: Verhoven, Verhoeven, Gonzalez, Blasco

I'd say about 80% chance for the rest of the players on the roster.

Hmm interesting. I'm surprised by Verhoven, Verhoeven and Blasco. I thought they were all quite good this season. Do you think they might get opportunities at a higher level?

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Hmm interesting. I'm surprised by Verhoven, Verhoeven and Blasco. I thought they were all quite good this season. Do you think they might get opportunities at a higher level?

Yes, I am assuming they will get better offers.

Pacific FC releases 7 players following 2019 CPL campaign

https://canpl.ca/article/pacific-fc-names-7-outgoing-players-following-2019-campaign

Pacific confirmed it will not offer a new deal to goalkeeper Mark Village, defenders Hendrik Starostzik, Ryan McCurdy, Emile Legault and winger Jose Hernandez.

On-loan defender Blake Smith will return to FC Cincinnati and on-loan midfielder David Norman Jr. will travel to join Inter Miami FC.

5 minutes ago, davey_twelve said:

I figured Smith would be gone but he'll be missed. He had a really good season here.

Agreed. It’s criminal how little attention the league gave him, but hopefully De Jong is able to get back to 100 %. I’d love if we could snag Montgomery on loan from Dallas, but he’ll probably be given a look in preseason 

I don't think Village is surprising, Pacific could really use a more reliable keeper and I can't imagine he would want to be a backup at this stage in his career, having just made his pro breakout at 27.

Starostzik is very surprising, he was really their only consistent player at the back all season (although in fairness MacNaughton improved massively over the course of the season). I have to assume that Staro expressed his intention to leave the club ahead of time, unless they just weren't confident in his ability to stay injury-free.

Edited by Zem

19 minutes ago, Zem said:

Starostzik is very surprising, he was really their only consistent player at the back all season (although in fairness MacNaughton improved massively over the course of the season). I have to assume that Staro expressed his intention to leave the club ahead of time, unless they just weren't confident in his ability to stay injury-free.

He’s spent half his career as an injured reserve. Good player, but it’s too risky for this league 

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What’s the deal with Legault?  He was highly regarded as a prospect.. was he that bad?  Same with Hernandez.

Tough to see two guys from the u20 team of just under a year ago dropped from their CPL team. 

My guess is that maybe Hernandez wanted to go to Edmonton to be closer to family and Pacific is accommodating him

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

My guess is that maybe Hernandez wanted to go to Edmonton to be closer to family and Pacific is accommodating him

That's a good possibility. It's pretty tough for some guys to be away from from family.

Hopefully Edmonton want to pick him up so that can be a reality for him.

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What’s the deal with Legault?  He was highly regarded as a prospect.. was he that bad?  Same with Hernandez.

Tough to see two guys from the u20 team of just under a year ago dropped from their CPL team. 

He was definitely overhyped. Didn't really seem to deliver at the level necessary for this team. It's too bad it didn't work out, but we need more of mix of experience & youth for the team to really perform. This year was a little too youth oriented.