Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

ted

6 minutes ago, Big_M said:

being good at youth level doesnt mean you will turn pro or be a good pro player..legault was just not ready for the pro world

He looked like a boy against men at times this season. That doesn’t mean he can’t get there though, he just wasn’t ready 

3 hours ago, BradMack said:

Thats really big news. I wonder what this means for a potential Pacific FC academy. 

Nothing. The owners have repeatedly said they are not doing an academy but will work with outside organizations.  Marcel and Issey were speculating on opening their own academy last year and the club has a good relationship with existing academies and youth clubs.

Edited by ted
spelling error

2 hours ago, ted said:

the club has a good relationship with existing academies and youth clubs.

Thats good to hear. I’d love to see more kids from the island given a look, but they didn’t really use that pathway to build the first year roster

21 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

What’s the deal with Legault?  He was highly regarded as a prospect.. was he that bad?  Same with Hernandez.

Didn't see too much of Legault but he seemed to struggle with staying disciplined - being caught out of position and taking unnecessary fouls. I think he finished with the second most cautions even though he barely played.

Hernandez was pretty good, especially in the first half of the season before he was injured. Out on the wing is probably where Pacific is strongest so it might be best for him to move on.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:01 AM, CanadaFan123 said:

Tough to see two guys from the u20 team of just under a year ago dropped from their CPL team. 

Yeah well if you want to increase quality of play, you need to cut players every season and replace them with better ones. They did part one, let's see if they succeed in part two. 

8 hours ago, ted said:

That pathway takes years to produce players. As a start-up they needed players they could play right away.

Of course, but they had a few unproven players on the squad this season and they also had open roster spaces. I think it would go a long way in terms of developing that pathway and connecting with the communities to bring local players in for a look.

17 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Of course, but they had a few unproven players on the squad this season and they also had open roster spaces. I think it would go a long way in terms of developing that pathway and connecting with the communities to bring local players in for a look.

What makes you think they didn't get a look at local players? I know lots of young guys were brought in to training sessions over the season.

11 hours ago, ted said:

What makes you think they didn't get a look at local players? I know lots of young guys were brought in to training sessions over the season.

Simpson’s speal since the club was announced was bemoaning the fact that he had to travel to Vancouver to have a chance at professional soccer, and that this club was going to change that for island kids. Yet they couldn’t find a single kid on the island with enough potential to validate that mantra? That seems ridiculous. At the very least, sign someone and give them an opportunity to train in a professional setup for the season

9 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Simpson’s speal since the club was announced was bemoaning the fact that he had to travel to Vancouver to have a chance at professional soccer, and that this club was going to change that for island kids. Yet they couldn’t find a single kid on the island with enough potential to validate that mantra? That seems ridiculous. At the very least, sign someone and give them an opportunity to train in a professional setup for the season

Um, Nolan Wirth ring a bell?

https://pacificfc.canpl.ca/article/vancouver-island-goalkeeper-nolan-wirth-signs-with-pacific-fc

7 hours ago, ted said:

Yup, I remember playing him as a kid. Another example of a player that could have benefited from a professional option on the island. We all faced the same choice. Every ID camp ended the same way, but my hope is that this club provides the opportunity that they advertise and that we didn’t have

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Yup, I remember playing him as a kid. Another example of a player that could have benefited from a professional option on the island. We all faced the same choice. Every ID camp ended the same way, but my hope is that this club provides the opportunity that they advertise and that we didn’t have

I think we will see these opportunities start to come in 2020. 2019 was a scramble just to get the team up and running then through the season.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zem said:

If he does, the move probably wouldn't happen this year since his contract at Hansa Rostock is until summer 2021.

He seems to have lost his starting spot recently, so if he wants to leave, they might be willing to mutually part ways.