Sign in to follow this  
ted

Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

Nobody said they got their moneys worth out of Haber.  But he was one of the highly touted signings that kicked the league off, it wouldnt surprise me if he was at the top of the list.  Who would have been the top earner then??  DeJong?  Bekker?? Edgar??  

Everyone seemed to have been surprised at the level of play in CPL, including stuff that I had heard from coaches. They probably expected that Haber would be a lot better than their younger talent. Hopefully this is the beginning of Canadians seeing that we are better than we've given ourselves credit for

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Pacific made a big mistake building a team around Marcus Haber.

They didn't. They built the team around Marcel de Jong being able to put balls into the box and feed Haber, Campbell, et al.

Not much better, but not as dumb an idea. 

19 hours ago, ted said:

They didn't. They built the team around Marcel de Jong being able to put balls into the box and feed Haber, Campbell, et al.

Not much better, but not as dumb an idea. 

I don't think signing Haber was dumb at all.  I'd guarantee that any of 7 inaugural teams would have signed him and he would have excelled on a team like Cavalry or Forge.  A Canadian at a good age and with experience scoring goals at levels like USL, League One and SPL...  it was just a shock that he didn't do better but I'm sure he would rebound elsewhere if given the chance.

16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

...it was just a shock that he didn't do better...

It really wasn't based on his recent form in Scotland at the time he returned to Canada. Clubs normally do some scouting to assess that rather than signing players based on past reputation. Haber was the second player signed by Pacific long before Marcel de Jong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Pacific_FC_season#In

so I'm not sure how it can be argued the team was built around Marcel de Jong, given he only became available later once he was surplus to requirments at the Whitecaps and is unlikely to have been central to Pacific's plans from the outset.

6 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Massive signings for the team. Unless something unfortunate happens during pre-season, this team should be competing at the top of the table this year.

They want to play at BC Place pretty bad

2 hours ago, Rintaran said:

Massive signings for the team. Unless something unfortunate happens during pre-season, this team should be competing at the top of the table this year.

I thought the same thing before last year's season.

4 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I thought the same thing before last year's season.

I think we all underestimated the strength of Cavalry and Forge last year. Having a healthy De Jong, Staro and Haber likely would have made them one of the strongest teams of the rest

Great signings. Also interesting they didn't stick with Ottawa. That said in the case f TMG, he knew about this move before christmas. Possible both moves were initiated before Ottawa in the CPL was potentially a thing. 

Any word on what happened with Legault. Can't understand how he dropped so badly from being almost signed by Celtic to not making it in the CPL. Was it attitude, not good enough, ready enough or did he want out? Seemed like he just wasn't physically and mentally strong enough in the games I saw him, he looked nervous. Given his age and position that will take a bit of time and patience.