2019-2020 Transfer Market

mtlsab

12 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

This story from the Hamilton Spectoator by Steve Milton (who has wrote about the league prior to its existence) reported that the transfer fee for Waterman was in the 35,000 - 40,000 range and that Borges will be about 10 times that much. Also believes his salary will be about 250,000/year.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9816981-forge-sells-top-scorer-and-that-s-a-good-thing/

Hmm something about that 250,000/year in the Belgium 2nd division doesn't seem right to me.

Help me understand. Do you guys just know off the top of your head the max/min/average salaries of leagues like 2nd division Belgium? Or do you reasearch it after an announcement like this? Or are you just guessing based on very little data and lots of assumptions. I am genuinely curious.

14 hours ago, Kent said:

Help me understand. Do you guys just know off the top of your head the max/min/average salaries of leagues like 2nd division Belgium? Or do you reasearch it after an announcement like this? Or are you just guessing based on very little data and lots of assumptions. I am genuinely curious.

I was curious, so I looked it up.

Source: https://www2.deloitte.com/be/en/pages/technology-media-and-telecommunications/articles/deloitte-pro-league-press-release.html

"The average yearly gross salary in G5 is €323,000, well above the K11 (€187,000) and the Proximus League (€90,000)."

I'm not sure what the G5 and K11 leagues are.

Now, if the average is €90k ($130k CAD), I don't think it's unreasonable that a team targeting promotion would pay considerably more than that.

14 hours ago, Kent said:

I looked up average salary in Jupiter league (200000 euros), which would be 290000 CDN.  That is taking in all the big spending clubs, and you know what kind of drop off there can be from 1st to bottom of the table and then even worse for 2nd division.  250000 seemed more like a number that belonged in the bottom end of the first division, or a really good player in 2nd.  So about 1 part research, 1 part comparison, 2 parts guess.  

I don't know if anyone has the time or energy to put in analysis, but my feel is that the league as a whole is better today than this time last year -despite losing a few bright stars. I guess the the foreign guys are always a crap shoot, but the domestic talent seems improved to me.

Well just for Valour, if attardo stays then we lost our best CDN (petrasso, Bustos LBG) but they stayed in CPL.  If we do bring in Aird, Levis and Pantemis (on loan), I think we have upped the quality of the league a bit.  Y9, Halifax and Pacific have all brought in some good quality CDN, sure Calgary and Hamilton will lose some (booo hoooo...crocadile tears...) but i agree the domestic should be improved.  

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't know if anyone has the time or energy to put in analysis, but my feel is that the league as a whole is better today than this time last year -despite losing a few bright stars. I guess the the foreign guys are always a crap shoot, but the domestic talent seems improved to me.

We could make a half decent squad of released players from last season. While they are the dregs and cast offs there are now and will be every year a speight of players out their with CPL experience which will be useful for clubs wanting to start up or starting up. Everyone is improving and the experience positive or negative will be passed on. 

On 1/25/2020 at 6:24 PM, Bison44 said:

I looked up average salary in Jupiter league (200000 euros), which would be 290000 CDN.  That is taking in all the big spending clubs, and you know what kind of drop off there can be from 1st to bottom of the table and then even worse for 2nd division.  250000 seemed more like a number that belonged in the bottom end of the first division, or a really good player in 2nd.  So about 1 part research, 1 part comparison, 2 parts guess.  

I based my thoughts on 250k being high on what players in Spain 2nd tier earn. So it seemed high. 

If I'm being honest i'd even be surprised if he was earning half of that. That's 5x what Laryea made this past season, it's equal Marky Delgado who has been playing professionally in the MLS for 7 years. 

I feel he's probably making around 30-50k. Still A big increase on the 12.5k he was earning with Forge. 

8 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Where are you pulling these numbers from?

I remember the 12.5k being posted sometime last year with the rest of the Forge FC players, I'll try and dig that up. As for the 30-50k i'm just taking a guess based off this sheet I found (It's outdated yes, it's from 2014). In 2014 the average Belgian 1st division player made 205k per year, I'm assuming it's risen since then but I can't see a 2nd division club (Even one with 1st division ambitions) paying that amount of money (250k) on a player with 1 year of professional experience. 

lvgtcrasc6yrdxiuqtxx.jpg

21 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

If I'm being honest i'd even be surprised if he was earning half of that. That's 5x what Laryea made this past season, it's equal Marky Delgado who has been playing professionally in the MLS for 7 years. 

I feel he's probably making around 30-50k. Still A big increase on the 12.5k he was earning with Forge

$12.5 k 😂 there are literally amateur players who earn more than that in lower leagues.  

Realistically he was probably earning around 35-42k with Forge. 

8 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

I remember the 12.5k being posted sometime last year with the rest of the Forge FC players, I'll try and dig that up. As for the 30-50k i'm just taking a guess based off this sheet I found (It's outdated yes, it's from 2014). In 2014 the average Belgian 1st division player made 205k per year, I'm assuming it's risen since then but I can't see a 2nd division club (Even one with 1st division ambitions) paying that amount of money (250k) on a player with 1 year of professional experience. 

You would have had to type a lot less if you just said that you made it up

8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

$12.5 k 😂 there are literally amateur players who earn more than that in lower leagues.  

Realistically he was probably earning around 35-42k with Forge. 

Actually of everything I stated, his salary with Forge is what i'm positive about. 12.5k was his take home pay. What he's making now I'm not sure, I just don't believe the 250k that's been going around. Ofcourse I could be wrong though 

15 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

Actually of everything I stated, his salary with Forge is what i'm positive about. 12.5k was his take home pay. What he's making now I'm not sure, I just don't believe the 250k that's been going around. Ofcourse I could be wrong though 

Thomas Nef has reported the league salary cap as being $800,000. He has been right about most things he has reported. I am sure that there are players in the league making this random 12.5k that you're talking about (though I still don't know where you are getting this number, perhaps you checked the MLS league minimum for 2007 and decided to use that as a number).

Borges played with Sigma before CPL. Smyrniotis knew what he had with him. There is no way he signed for 12.5k. And as stated above you are mixing currencies. The 205,000  GBP would be roughly $350,000CDN

Also who lists their salary as take home pay?? Its always stated as pay before taxes

Edited by deschamp86