2019-2020 Transfer Market

mtlsab

43 minutes ago, narduch said:

My wiki research shows that they have already qualified for the Promotion play off. (Belgian 2nd tier also uses a split season). So its possible Borges could be in the top flight next season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Belgian_First_Division_B

That is correct. The Proximus League has the same structure to the CPL, but with just one twist: if a team wins both seasons, there is no promotion playoff and they are crowned Proximus League Champions. There are 8 teams in the Proximus League as well. 

A little fun fact about OH Leuven, the club to sign Borges. They are owned by King Power just like Leicester. Could be a good sign for the future....

14 minutes ago, Macksam said:

$500 million per season should give every team a 25-30 million dollar cap and actually turn Major League Soccer into a MAJOR league. They just need to dramatically increase the international roster spots at that point. This could be exciting times for the game in North America. We should see top American athletes regularly decide to choose the sport as well as a result.

But....like Narduch has pointed out, is $500 million a season realistic given the dismal ratings?

As a English US sports tv network, I would be cautious about overpaying for MLS tv rights. 

With the younger demos, MLS followers are the most likely to stream matches. So as a stand alone sports streamer or a combo tv/stream package like ESPN+/Disney +, MLS rights are more appealing.

But still shouldn't overpay since rights can't be leveraged worldwide yet like Netflix does, ligaMX & EPL have higher US ratings and MLS is local interest driven league like the NHL in the US. Better for tv networks to overpay for NFL, NBA & college football given lots of inventory available, good engagement beyond the local team and showing the least decline in tv ratings (some cases, only thing on tv showing increases).

33 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

If you ignore the funny money, Steffen and Gruezo, MLS has raised 1.142m euro. We might beat that at this rate.

Looking at the expenditure side, it's absolutely insane. Mexico, Uruguay and Argentina are literally laughing all the way to the bank. I don't know what they are expecting for media rights, but if it's not $500m per season, this league may be doomed:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/major-league-soccer/transfers/wettbewerb/MLS1

Hate to quote myself, but for those wondering how I ignored $12m for Steffen & Gruezo, I wanted to point out that they give all this profit back on just a few players they let walk for free that had significant fees coming in: Nikolics, Acosta, Alessandrini, Nemeth, etc. Such is life with older players, but if you don't sell enough younger ones you're going have a deficit. Even with all the funny money, TM has them at a deficit of 90m euro. The Bundesliga is only 200m for perspective.

30 minutes ago, dnina10 said:

That is correct. The Proximus League has the same structure to the CPL, but with just one twist: if a team wins both seasons, there is no promotion playoff and they are crowned Proximus League Champions. There are 8 teams in the Proximus League as well. 

The way it should be.

- disgruntled Cavalry fan.

10 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

It will be interesting how transfer activity in this window alters or adjusts the long-term planning with respect to the cap, squad size, reserves and academy. I fully support the approach to date, but there is a little bit of truth to "it takes money to make money." MLS are so bad at buying and selling players, it would be great to see the CPL perfect this. Even the development is poor given the amount of money they throw around. My short-term goal would be squads of 25-30 on an average of $100k or so per annum, with an amateur U20/reserve side playing in the top amateur league available.It doesn't take too many $500k transfers to fund this.

MLS knows it too though.  It's why they're in discussions to shift to buying and selling younger DP quality players:

https://theathletic.com/1520302/2020/01/08/sources-mls-considering-changes-to-dp-rule-to-encourage-young-player-signings/

There's more to the possible rule change than just that, but it's certainly a factor.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

What a weird system. It's against teams from the 1st tier

Yes, they changed the format after last season, much to the disapproval of most of the teams. Last season, only the Proximus League finalist and the next two best teams in the aggregate table qualified along with teams ranked 7-15 in the Pro League (9 teams). They would split into two groups of six teams in which the winner of each group qualifying for a single legged final, hosted by the higher ranked team in the regular season. Now it will involve the teams from 7-16 in the Pro League plus the top 6 teams in the aggregate table (including the seasonal winner(s)). They'll go into 4 groups of 4, with the group winners qualifying for the semifinals. I reckon both the semi finals and the finals are two legged. The winner plays afainst the highest ranked team from Playoffs 1 (involving the top 6 teams from the Jupiler Pro League regular season), most likely the fourth or fifth place team for a spot in the Europa League 2nd qualifying round. What a bizarre system indeed. Exciting next month and a half though to see if Leuven will return back to the top flight after several years out, or if someone else will undo their wonderful work from the Apertura. 

Interesting related fact: it is possible to collect the most points from the 28 games and not qualify for the final/get promoted. It has already has happened when Lierse collected the most points in the 2016/17 season, only to finish second in both the Apertura and Clausura (won by Roeselare and Antwerp respectively with the latter winning the promotion final). As things stand we would have that same situation happen again as promoted side Virton and Westerlo currently have the most points from 22 games.

23 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Welshman just left Hapoel Haifa. I could see him back in CPL. 

It would have seemed reasonable, but according to Wikipedia, he's now with the Arab-Israeli team Bnei Sakhnin. They're not even in the Israeli Premier League. There may be more to the story (if true) but he seemed like such a hot commodity when he left Forge last year.

This story from the Hamilton Spectoator by Steve Milton (who has wrote about the league prior to its existence) reported that the transfer fee for Waterman was in the 35,000 - 40,000 range and that Borges will be about 10 times that much. Also believes his salary will be about 250,000/year.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9816981-forge-sells-top-scorer-and-that-s-a-good-thing/