2019-2020 Transfer Market

mtlsab

I wonder if the the CPL is insisting, pushing players towards signing multi year deals? It would make sense if they want to play the selling game. It would give the team some control. Could they have a take it or leave it type of approach especially when signing players from L1O etc? They have the leverage in situations like this. 

That is why when I read that there had been so few transfer fees paid to USL teans by their MLS ones I shrugged. USL has always been about the one year deals. 

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Didic would be a free transfer....

That appears to be the case given the lack of an announcement on a contract renewal, but the league still seem to have been claiming him as an FCE player on social media in the context of the recent national team games, so looks like it would be spun as a transfer from FCE to the Whitecaps.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That appears to be the case given the lack of an announcement on a contract renewal, but the league still seem to have been claiming him as an FCE player on social media in the context of the recent national team games, so looks like it would be spun as a transfer from FCE to the Whitecaps.  

This was kind of my question about Waterman. Doesn't he make himself much more attractive as a free agent, thereby saving the team a transfer fee? Why would anyone who can move up a level resign if there is interest from another club?

5 hours ago, Reign said:

Didic would be a free transfer. I’m guessing Adekugbe. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Carducci either. 

I agree that Carducci is ready for MLS, I don't think he is weaker than about a third of current starters. So as a sub player, could be interesting. He'd have to really like the money offered though to move, as where he is he's a sure starter and is gettting CMNT call-ups on that basis--which also happens to be extra income for him.

14 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

The transfer fee for Borges is believed to be around $300k with bonuses that could lead to $500k if certain objectives are met. 

If true, that’s a lot of money on a transfer for a Belgian second division team.  They would definitely expect him to help deliver promotion.

43 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If true, that’s a lot of money on a transfer for a Belgian second division team.  They would definitely expect him to help deliver promotion.

My wiki research shows that they have already qualified for the Promotion play off. (Belgian 2nd tier also uses a split season). So its possible Borges could be in the top flight next season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Belgian_First_Division_B

It will be interesting how transfer activity in this window alters or adjusts the long-term planning with respect to the cap, squad size, reserves and academy. I fully support the approach to date, but there is a little bit of truth to "it takes money to make money." MLS are so bad at buying and selling players, it would be great to see the CPL perfect this. Even the development is poor given the amount of money they throw around. My short-term goal would be squads of 25-30 on an average of $100k or so per annum, with an amateur U20/reserve side playing in the top amateur league available.It doesn't take too many $500k transfers to fund this.

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

If you ignore the funny money, Steffen and Gruezo, MLS has raised 1.142m euro. We might beat that at this rate.

Looking at the expenditure side, it's absolutely insane. Mexico, Uruguay and Argentina are literally laughing all the way to the bank. I don't know what they are expecting for media rights, but if it's not $500m per season, this league may be doomed:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/major-league-soccer/transfers/wettbewerb/MLS1

Edited by youllneverwalkalone
Spelling

5 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

If you ignore the funny money, Steffen and Gruezo, MLS has raised 1.142m euro. We might beat that at this rate.

Looking at the expenditure side, it's absolutely insane. Mexico, Uruguay and Argentina are literally laughing all the way to the bank. I don't know what they are expecting for media rights, but if it's not $500m per season, this league may be doomed:

MLS TV ratings are so bad in the US. I don't understand how they get a TV contract of any value.

They will probably luck out again and some like DAZN with over pay for them.

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

MLS TV ratings are so bad in the US. I don't understand how they get a TV contract of any value.

They will probably luck out again and some like DAZN with over pay for them.

I've explained this before on this board, but MLS delivers highly-favourable demographics compared to every other league in the U.S. It's got by far the youngest, most diverse viewership, which is gold to advertisers even with much lower numbers than comparable leagues.

MLS' ratings have also been relatively steady over the past decade even while overall TV viewership has plummeted, making it attractive to networks desperate for live programming that can deliver a reliable audience.

CPL likely has similar demographics (albeit at a much smaller scale) and tons of room to grow. Both leagues should be fine for the foreseeable future, IMO.

19 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

$500 million per season should give every team a 25-30 million dollar cap and actually turn Major League Soccer into a MAJOR league. They just need to dramatically increase the international roster spots at that point. This could be exciting times for the game in North America. We should see top American athletes regularly decide to choose the sport as well as a result.

But....like Narduch has pointed out, is $500 million a season realistic given the dismal ratings?

Edited by Macksam