mtlsab

2019-2020 Transfer Market

10 minutes ago, Kent said:

Remind me, were you the one that was very opposed to loans because your team is developing a player for a bigger team to profit from? I’m not saying one year deals aren’t the right thing in certain circumstances, but if am right in thinking it was you with the loan thing, that mentality doesn’t seem to square with your post above. Unless I am missing some nuance?

Apologies if I’ve got you confused with someone else.

Yes, I am indeed opposed to loans for the reasons you mention. I'm not sure I understand why you think this "doesn't square" with my post above though. Can you explain?

Perhaps it was my comment about one year contracts being the sensible option for a club that is losing money?

The reason I say that is simply to mitigate short term losses (which seem to be important because USL owner turnover is apparently high) but I do think that in the long term it would be better to lock promising young players into longer contracts. However, the owner must have the financial ability and fortitude to accept bigger short/medium term losses in the meantime (and accept the gamble that the club will eventually reap transfer fees, which, while certainly true in the aggregate, may take a long time to materialize for a particular club).

And the USL situation is not helped by single entity MLS's unwillingness to pay transfer fees (the single entity thing eliminates competition between MLS clubs for players). So, in the specific USL case, the transfer market for players is rather more limited than it would be for lower leagues in other countries.

It comes down to this:

> Short term contracts and loans = lower risk and lower reward.

> Multi-year contracts = higher risk and higher reward.

It just depends on whether you are willing and able to take on risk.

@Kent, this is a good article (from May 2017) on how MLS is under valuing prospects from the US lower divisions:

Matt Cairns (a Hertfordshire-born intermediary who represents players in MLS as well as NASL and USL) represents many players who are of interest to MLS sides. To Cairns, there still remains hesitancy to sign players from the leagues below.

“I don’t understand it,” Cairns says of the reluctance. Some NASL clubs ask for transfer fees of merely $50,000 or so depending on the player. “Minnesota priced Ramirez highly, but there wasn’t an MLS team that tested the water. Why didn’t a team that couldn’t score goals take a flier? He’s a final piece of the puzzle for teams that have creative play. Why wouldn’t you pay $50,000 for a chance?”

Until then, there will always be hidden gems in the lower divisions. Ramirez may be a litmus test and, if he continues to pass, could be seen as the American Jamie Vardy. Both were players who didn’t land with top-flight programs right away. Both toiled in the lower divisions, ultimately landing with a club that made a move to the highest league in their country. For Minnesota, they can only hope Ramirez’s goal tally also follows the Vardy narrative.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/may/25/how-mls-clubs-are-undervaluing-prospects-from-the-us-lower-divisions

Edited by Lofty

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

So if Waterman was 100k, how much for Borges? Fee also depends on contract length I suppose. Possible we could be close to 500k in player sales from those 5 players. 

It is telling that Borges is still with CPL. It will take time for CPL to establish itself as a credible league, so that teams in other leagues will give some weight to success in CPL when evaluating players. Not there yet, but as CPL graduates prosper and CPL players play for national teams, it will come.

7 minutes ago, Lofty said:

It is telling that Borges is still with CPL.

That could certainly be as much about waiting for his preferred destination or even forge waiting for a decent offer  but agree in general. It's a positive start for the league.

If as many as those 5 names move up somewhere that's a big win, even if it means losing some of the leagues best players. Chances for others to step up. We will see how deep our talent pool really lies. 

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

Yes, I am indeed opposed to loans for the reasons you mention. I'm not sure I understand why you think this "doesn't square" with my post above though. Can you explain?

My thinking was that a loan is similar to a one year contract in that at the end of the season you don’t have the player anymore, and you can’t get a transfer fee for them. With a loan there is a chance that the loaning team is paying a portion of the salary, so it seems it would make even more sense for a cash strapped team, whether it be in the USL, CPL, or anywhere in the world.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

My thinking was that a loan is similar to a one year contract in that at the end of the season you don’t have the player anymore, and you can’t get a transfer fee for them. With a loan there is a chance that the loaning team is paying a portion of the salary, so it seems it would make even more sense for a cash strapped team, whether it be in the USL, CPL, or anywhere in the world.

I agree that a loan is similar to a one year contract. I agree that if you are trying to save cash in the SHORT term, loans and one year contracts are the way to go.

But over the LONG term, if you put your promising youngsters on a multi-year contract and some of them pan out, I believe that those transfer fees will more than offset the extra short term costs (assuming an efficient market for players).

English lower leagues are a good case in point. Many teams are struggling financially because in the (relatively) new loan era their transfer fee revenue has dried up. They need to wise-up and stick together in refusing loans so that promising youngsters have to choose between Man Utd reserves in front of three men and a dog or competitive football for a lower league team. Right now they can have their cake and eat it by signing for Mau Utd and going out on loan. Man Utd takes the risk -- which they can well afford -- and reaps the rewards when the player flourishes. And, in this zero sum game, the lower league clubs are the losers. Just look at Bury and Bolton.

I wonder if the the CPL is insisting, pushing players towards signing multi year deals? It would make sense if they want to play the selling game. It would give the team some control. Could they have a take it or leave it type of approach especially when signing players from L1O etc? They have the leverage in situations like this. 

That is why when I read that there had been so few transfer fees paid to USL teans by their MLS ones I shrugged. USL has always been about the one year deals. 

On 1/17/2020 at 8:03 PM, Cblake said:

I wonder if the the CPL is insisting, pushing players towards signing multi year deals? It would make sense if they want to play the selling game. It would give the team some control. Could they have a take it or leave it type of approach especially when signing players from L1O etc? They have the leverage in situations like this. 

That is why when I read that there had been so few transfer fees paid to USL teans by their MLS ones I shrugged. USL has always been about the one year deals. 

Just the give and take of negotiation. Some players might only want a one year deal, to put themselves in the shop window and be free to negotiate with whomever they please at season's end (e.g. Petrasso). For older players, the club might only want a one year deal.

And of course many players might want the security of a two year deal although it is hard to see how a "one year deal with a club option for another year" provides that! Players who sign that kind of one sided deal definitely feel that their negotiating hand is weak.

5 hours ago, top cheese said:

Must be didic

Didic would be a free transfer. I’m guessing Adekugbe. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Carducci either. 

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Didic would be a free transfer....

That appears to be the case given the lack of an announcement on a contract renewal, but the league still seem to have been claiming him as an FCE player on social media in the context of the recent national team games, so looks like it would be spun as a transfer from FCE to the Whitecaps.  

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

That appears to be the case given the lack of an announcement on a contract renewal, but the league still seem to have been claiming him as an FCE player on social media in the context of the recent national team games, so looks like it would be spun as a transfer from FCE to the Whitecaps.  

This was kind of my question about Waterman. Doesn't he make himself much more attractive as a free agent, thereby saving the team a transfer fee? Why would anyone who can move up a level resign if there is interest from another club?

5 hours ago, Reign said:

Didic would be a free transfer. I’m guessing Adekugbe. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Carducci either. 

I agree that Carducci is ready for MLS, I don't think he is weaker than about a third of current starters. So as a sub player, could be interesting. He'd have to really like the money offered though to move, as where he is he's a sure starter and is gettting CMNT call-ups on that basis--which also happens to be extra income for him.

Best of luck to him. A good gauge to see if he can move higher. Hopefully he gets minutes and moves up another league. Was definitely hoping for a more glamorous move but this could be great for him a bit away from the radar and with time on his side.