2019-2020 Transfer Market

mtlsab

Quite worried about this to be honest, almost completely unnecessarily so I am sure but I hope clubs hold on to their better players for another year at least to help the league grow. 

Hopefully those like Borges that take a step up (which was also part of the aim of the league) will be replaced with equally as exciting signings. There are certainly still a swath of Canadian talent out there that could make the CPL move. 

Skublak is out of HFX too.

Rumour that HFX isn’t paying a 5% increase on Simmons contract, and that’s why he is leaving. 

Kind of worrying that they are losing two two of their best players and money issues is the only rumour so far. 

1 hour ago, Reign said:

Makes sense they were the worst team in the league, but to me they are losing some of their better players. Should be a interesting off season for HFX.

A team's best players usually want more money. If they are the best players on the last place team, they could very well be bench players on a top team. No use paying starting money to bench players if they want to improve

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

A team's best players usually want more money. If they are the best players on the last place team, they could very well be bench players on a top team. No use paying starting money to bench players if they want to improve

That is a good point.

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

After those waves of releases... maybe they weren't kidding about being a lots of Canadians pros wanting to come home 

Probably, I don't see all these players been released without having some back-up plans.

It is just sad that a lot of players are released without indemnities

If these teams are releasing players en masse to try to catch Forge and Cavalry its pretty ironic.  Forge and Cavalry were good because they had familiarity in their team and with the coach.   A massive turnover will make it tough to catch those two even more so unless teams can bring in X-factors.  

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

If these teams are releasing players en masse to try to catch Forge and Cavalry its pretty ironic.  Forge and Cavalry were good because they had familiarity in their team and with the coach.   A massive turnover will make it tough to catch those two even more so unless teams can bring in X-factors.  

Sure, that was probably a factor but they also had more talented and deeper squads. You can’t just sit idle and hope to improve

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

They seem to be releasing bench players for the most part so I don't think it will affect chemistry that much. There is a pretty big gap between Cavs/Forge compared to the rest and keeping players for the sake of familiarity is not going to close that gap

So, we haven't in fact seen any transfers so far have we? We've only seen players cut, but not that they're going to other clubs. I wonder if we'll even see an inter-league transfer this offseason. 

And Yes I do know the transfer season hasn't officially started yet, doesn't mean there's nothing happening. 

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Apparently the Impact are interested in Borges

I wonder what the financial implications for Forge/CPL would be.  Given that a number of players with a number of clubs only had one year contracts (and have been let go), I am not clear on what this means for player transfers.  If Borges was a player signed to a multi year contract (and he may have been given his reputation) it would seem to be pretty straightforward - Impact would have to pay a transfer fee, presumably to the club and not the league.  But if he was on a one year contract and they just planned to resign him at a salary contingent on his first year performance, I don't know what this would mean.  The whole Bosman thing (I think) means he would be free to walk if out of contract, but it would seem odd that a league seeking to make money on player transfers would structure things that would just let guys walk for free after year 1.

Anyone with insight?

22 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I wonder what the financial implications for Forge/CPL would be.  Given that a number of players with a number of clubs only had one year contracts (and have been let go), I am not clear on what this means for player transfers.  If Borges was a player signed to a multi year contract (and he may have been given his reputation) it would seem to be pretty straightforward - Impact would have to pay a transfer fee, presumably to the club and not the league.  But if he was on a one year contract and they just planned to resign him at a salary contingent on his first year performance, I don't know what this would mean.  The whole Bosman thing (I think) means he would be free to walk if out of contract, but it would seem odd that a league seeking to make money on player transfers would structure things that would just let guys walk for free after year 1.

Anyone with insight?

If his contract was a one year contract that has ended then Borges is free to sign with any club he chooses to with no compensation to Forge.  

If he had an option year that Forge picked up (or if he was on a multi-year deal) then there will need to be negotiations between the clubs.  

11 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

If his contract was a one year contract that has ended then Borges is free to sign with any club he chooses to with no compensation to Forge.  

If he had an option year that Forge picked up (or if he was on a multi-year deal) then there will need to be negotiations between the clubs.  

That is what I figured.  Too bad there is such a black box around league financials and transactions.  It would be nice to know if Forge stood to gain from this.  

Seems hard to believe they wouldn’t have something in place to stop promising players from just walking away.  Without something, and if the razor thin budgets are to be believed (as implied by the idea that a solid HFX player would be let go rather the give him a 5-10% increase - again heresy), the league could easily lose all promising players to MLS teams able to offer them a spot even on the low end of their pay scale.  Hell, if you bought into the (plausible)  idea that MLS was hostile to CPL, they could easily siphon off the best young CPL talent for a relatively small investment (relative to their player budgets). 

All of this makes me think that there is no way there aren’t provisions in place to prevent this sort of thing. 

Edited by dyslexic nam

Just a thought, one major flaw in being a salary cap league is the inability to extend a contract midseason with a raise. For example, Jonathan David after going on a run got a contract extension (which likely would have come with a raise given his performance). If Borges is on a 1 year deal, it would have been smart to give him a raise midseason just to get a fee at the end of the year. Even a $30k would be worth it if they could get $50k for him rather than a free.

This is all just speculation, but if the league really wants to be a selling league they need to consider this. Real top quality talent could go for free just because a team has no room in the cap. I feel like our 17-20 year olds are at risk in leaving given they would likely be on low salaries for 1 year.