mtlsab

2019-2020 Transfer Market

Just a thought, one major flaw in being a salary cap league is the inability to extend a contract midseason with a raise. For example, Jonathan David after going on a run got a contract extension (which likely would have come with a raise given his performance). If Borges is on a 1 year deal, it would have been smart to give him a raise midseason just to get a fee at the end of the year. Even a $30k would be worth it if they could get $50k for him rather than a free.

This is all just speculation, but if the league really wants to be a selling league they need to consider this. Real top quality talent could go for free just because a team has no room in the cap. I feel like our 17-20 year olds are at risk in leaving given they would likely be on low salaries for 1 year.

It definitely seems like Olivier Renard rates the CPL, with rumors for both Borges and Waterman coming out. I would love if the Impact can become one of the pathways for the leagues promising players to move up.  

(If these rumors are true of course)

Edited by Chad_Impact

1 minute ago, mtlsab said:

Kodai Iida signed in OKC Energy (USL)

Alessandro Riggi (phoenix Rising, USL) signed in HFX Wanderers

Question on the Iida signing: I really have no concept of how buying/selling players works (in any sport), but from what I gather CPL players still under contract that end up going to other leagues would result in cash for the selling CPL team. Does this mean that Iida's move to OKC will see HFX paid for him? Or was he already released? 

The game I understand. The business of it . . . eh. 😛

On the recent First Team Podcast, it was mentioned that one or more New York Cosmos players may be moving to a CPL club.

No names mentioned, although a player could come on a CPL Spring Season loan as well as New York Cosmos have joined the professional independent NISA for next 2020-21 season (NISA's next season will run on the international calender of August - May) so with Cosmos joining in August some of their players from last year may  go on loan or be looking to move rather than wait till August.

https://www.nycosmos.com/roster-list

Edited by CDNFootballer