OneSoccer

Foreen

Just now, Ansem said:

Aren't they on Telus?

Yeah, they're on a specialty tier on Telus.

Would need to get onto Rogers and Bell to really penetrate English-speaking Canada, though. I doubt MLS would consider OS under current circumstances unless the money is ridiculous.

TSN has a vested interest in keeping the TV rights, so that's where I expect them to land. RDS will get French-language as part of the deal.

5 minutes ago, RS said:

Yeah, they're on a specialty tier on Telus.

Would need to get onto Rogers and Bell to really penetrate English-speaking Canada, though. I doubt MLS would consider OS under current circumstances unless the money is ridiculous.

TSN has a vested interest in keeping the TV rights, so that's where I expect them to land. RDS will get French-language as part of the deal.

Money talk - I don't think they care about the specifics if the money is there... even less in Canada.

Even if RDS/TSN keeps the rights, they are non exclusives, MediaPro could still carry those games which would help convince more people to get Onesoccer or Fubo as one of the biggest complaints is having to subscribe to different streaming services

Edited by Ansem

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Money talk - I don't think they care about the specifics if the money is there... even less in Canada.

Even if RDS/TSN keeps the rights, they are non exclusives, MediaPro could still carry those games which would help convince more people to get Onesoccer or Fubo as one of the biggest complaints is having to subscribe to different streaming services

But why would Apple share streaming rights with another streamer? 

MedioPro could carry those games, but the chances are slim to none because they bring nothing to the table that isn't already handled (better) by Apple. The TV networks would at least bring with them an established viewership and a different platform.

As for money, I don't see how MediaPro could throw down enough cash to make it tempting for MLS while still economically viable for themselves. How many people are going to subscribe to OneSoccer for MLS games when they are already available on a bigger streaming service (and all season ticket holders get it for free)?

Just now, RS said:

But why would Apple share streaming rights with another streamer? 

MedioPro could carry those games, but the chances are slim to none because they bring nothing to the table that isn't already handled (better) by Apple. The TV networks would at least bring with them an established viewership and a different platform.

Oh you're right - Not Onesoccer (streaming) or Fubo but strictly for their cable channel as they could get those games shoud they opt to do so. Since it's none-exclusive on TV, why would they care that more than one channel carry their games of the week?

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Oh you're right - Not Onesoccer (streaming) or Fubo but strictly for their cable channel as they could get those games shoud they opt to do so. Since it's none-exclusive on TV, why would they care that more than one channel carry their games of the week?

TSN could negotiate exclusive TV rights. It's pretty much what they have now (for English-language).

8 minutes ago, narduch said:

For all we know Apple doesn't want to play game with TSN either

Maybe, but they've already said games will be on TV. The options for it are limited. CTV/TSN still had the biggest national reach, so it makes the most sense.

My guess would be that TSN signs a 3 or 4 year deal for all of the head to head Canadian team games, then a few more higher profile ones.

Edited by Watchmen

27 minutes ago, Ansem said:

A specialty channel on only 1 of the 3 or 4 major providers still doesn't make enough sense for MLS to sanction it, for Apple to want to do it, or for OneSoccer to pay enough to justify it (when season ticket holders will be getting the streaming for free anyway).

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

A specialty channel on only 1 of the 3 or 4 major providers still doesn't make enough sense for MLS to sanction it, for Apple to want to do it, or for OneSoccer to pay enough to justify it (when season ticket holders will be getting the streaming for free anyway).

MLS turning down money would be a surprise - if exclusivity is off the table and MediaPro wants to pay, why would you say no?

As if it makes sense or not for Onesoccer - their channels could use the extra content, especially if you're trying to get on the package of more cable/satellite companies

How many season tickets holders are we taking about? Not a lot, especially in Canada.

We'll see who goes for them or pass I guess

45 minutes ago, narduch said:

For all we know Apple doesn't want to play game with TSN either

For sure.

But if that's the case, it makes even less sense for Apple/MLS to deal with OneSoccer.

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

MLS turning down money would be a surprise - if exclusivity is off the table and MediaPro wants to pay, why would you say no?

As if it makes sense or not for Onesoccer - their channels could use the extra content, especially if you're trying to get on the package of more cable/satellite companies

How many season tickets holders are we taking about? Not a lot, especially in Canada.

We'll see who goes for them or pass I guess

Look, I know you really, really, really wanted MediaPro to buy the rights to MLS and you're not willing to let the dream die. But exactly how much do you think they'd be willing to spend for content on a specialty channel on 1 cable company when the product is already being given away for free to season ticket holders? They can't even contribute the "production costs" because MLS is going to be doing that in house. So I'm not saying that TSN or Sportsnet would be paying a ton of money, just that it looks like an absolute money loser for MediaPro from the get go and would make no financial sense for them to buy now.

32 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Look, I know you really, really, really wanted MediaPro to buy the rights to MLS and you're not willing to let the dream die. But exactly how much do you think they'd be willing to spend for content on a specialty channel on 1 cable company when the product is already being given away for free to season ticket holders? They can't even contribute the "production costs" because MLS is going to be doing that in house. So I'm not saying that TSN or Sportsnet would be paying a ton of money, just that it looks like an absolute money loser for MediaPro from the get go and would make no financial sense for them to buy now.

Chill out... saying that it's possible doesn't mean it will happen.

I know you really really really like status quo, but things have changed with this deal and we're all in new uncharted territory.

If anything, it makes the whole ignoring CPL rather pointless in my opinion and they (Bell/Rogers) can fill their dates at a fraction of the cost.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

If anything, it makes the whole ignoring CPL rather pointless in my opinion and they (Bell/Rogers) can fill their dates at a fraction of the cost.

This is an interesting point. If TSN, Sportsnet, RDS and TVA Sports end up broadcasting a much smaller number of Canadian MLS matches and don't have the same level of investment in the league, maybe that opens the door to them finally buying some CPL airtime to help fill out their Canadian content requirements? With further interest in the sport with expansion (hopefully) on the horizon in the near term and the World Cup on the horizon, it might be an easier sell too. Who knows? 

I am not a TV producer and know little or nothing about TV broadcasting.  I wonder if someone could explain to me the rationale of OneSoccer to make free the viewing of pre-game talks and cut off the viewing of the game.  I was lucky to find later a Youtube streaming of the Honduras game albeit in Spanish.

Edited by The Ref

4 hours ago, The Ref said:

I am not a TV producer and know little or nothing about TV broadcasting.  I wonder if someone could explain to me the rationale of OneSoccer to make free the viewing of pre-game talks and cut off the viewing of the game.  I was lucky to find later a Youtube streaming of the Honduras game albeit in Spanish.

I would guess they are trying to find the delicate balance of getting their name out there and letting people know there is a game, but also making sure there is a reason for actually subscribing so they can make some money.

A more likely way Mediapro gets involved with the Apple deal is to be paid by MLS to help produce at least the Canada-based matches. Mediapro does work for CBC & Concacaf. 

MLS has less than an year to get things up and running. They'll need to contract out some of the work. Most of the comments I see about local American MLS tv productions is far from complementary. MLS will want seasoned football tv people rather than American sports generalists to make a good first impression.

fubotv has $100/yr deal till end of June. Good for 1 yr. 

The bad news is that fubotv's regular price of $180 is now higher than DAZN's $150. fubotv has overall more content but DAZN with PL/CL/NFL/Serie A was a better deal for most.

https://www.fubo.tv/stream/ca/preseason-offer/?irad=1377225&irmp=1131770&sharedid=editorial

Edited by red card

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 9:12 AM, red card said:

The bad news is that fubotv's regular price of $180 is now higher than DAZN's $150.

Not anymore. DAZN increased their prices to $199.99.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:54 AM, RS said:

Yes. A big reason MLS will keep some games on TV is so they can make their current audience aware of their new streaming service.

Edited by Rivaldo

6 hours ago, rkomar said:

My biggest gripe with OneSoccer is that their schedule webpage seems to be wrong as often as it is right lately.   I like to use it to plan my viewing, but I can't rely on it anymore.  It's a simple thing, so even more disappointing that they can't get it right.

On my Roku app it seems like it rolls over to the next day when Spain rolls over to the next day. So if you are checking the schedule in the evening, you can't see that evening's schedule.

This past weekend there were 3 games on Sunday that I wanted to watch. The York United game, the CWNT friendly, and the U20 Canada game against Guatemala. I checked the schedule Sunday morning mainly to see what would be on the main feed, CWNT or York because I thought there was overlap (York was originally scheduled for 2:30, which was in my phone calendar from the CPL app, but apparently the time got changed to noon without my calendar being updated). The schedule didn't even have Sunday on it. And even in the section that says what games are upcoming, it doesn't say what time they are on (on the Roku app, I think on the website from a computer you would see something different).

I strongly suspect they hired some contractors to quickly build the website and some apps, then the project was considered done and we have been left with the bugs for years, never to be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Is OneSoccer showing live Liga MX?

Now (Friday night), they're showing the first leg of América vs Pachuca in the Clausura 2022 semifinals from May 19.
The Apertura started last weekend and I haven't seen any new games.

9 hours ago, Rivaldo said:

Is OneSoccer showing live Liga MX?

Now (Friday night), they're showing the first leg of América vs Pachuca in the Clausura 2022 semifinals from May 19.
The Apertura started last weekend and I haven't seen any new games.

They’ve been showing about two matches a week for a while now.