Vancouver Whitecaps 2019 Season

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

If you're going to spend Davies dollars, spend it on that third midfielder.

And sorry, but on an experienced CB. 

And on a sure-fire striker to accompany Montero. 

What makes no sense is for MDS to talk about possession and have a single striker up high, which is not how possession football should be played. You have to combine all the way into the net, so you cannot have a guy playing as a pure target as your end-point of possession attack.

On 3/17/2019 at 9:52 PM, The Beaver said:

I am also not convinced MDS had got all the horses he needs yet, but there were some good signs last game. Let's be honest: We gave goals away on very poor defensive errors.

I am not convinced the formation is working either. We'll see how it evolves, but a guy like Montero never has success without a strike partner, or at least somebody tucked in behind him.  Reyna, to me, is not well-used on the wing.  Those two--Montero and Reyna--had great chemistry two years ago, but Reyna played in behind Montero. Maybe we need to consider more of a 4-4-1-1 

I agree, but what concerns me is that those are not the formations that MDS traditionally favors. Since he has been hired he has been saying that his focus is on 4-3-3 with 3-5-2 being used in certain spots. The signings he made were specifically with those formations in mind.

I doubt he is unwilling to give up on his plan so quickly.

7 hours ago, masster said:

I agree, but what concerns me is that those are not the formations that MDS traditionally favors. Since he has been hired he has been saying that his focus is on 4-3-3 with 3-5-2 being used in certain spots. The signings he made were specifically with those formations in mind.

I doubt he is unwilling to give up on his plan so quickly.

And, in truth, it is probably too soon to scrap his plan anyways. This was always going to be a transitional year but I am curious to see how patient everyone will be, including the fans, players, coaching staff and FO. 

12 hours ago, Soro17 said:

I blame Roch Carrier and Monsieur Eaton. 

You might be, in the words of George Carlin, too hip for the room with that reference.  Or maybe not.  Regardless, I had a good chuckle with that one.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 2 weeks later...

Good defensive game plan and execution to finally get a first point..big game from henry hilarious celebrating like he won it..crepeau way off on a couple crosses needs better judgment..in-beom not a great start to the season needs to be better

Still largely clueless in attack, weak in the middle and overly sloppy in possession. Its still early in the season but I am sure MDS is unimpressed with some of the constant mistakes. The crossing and corners when we finally got there was largely woeful.

I hope Ardaiz gets a start next game. The way they are playing Montero is still not the guy you need as the lone striker, however much they play him there it wont change the fact he is a support striker and works best with a partner in front. 

Downs - Montero (harsh on him - I don't like how he is utilized), PC (not impressed so far) 

Ups - Henry, Crepeau, Adnan (real deal, as mentioned) Venuto looked good when he got on. Teibert grew into the game. 

I thought crepeau and Henry were good. Crepeau made some big saves and bailed the Caps out. The Whitecaps had way too many cheap turnovers. We could barely keep possession for more than 10 seconds at a time in the first half. The tram misses Davies; nobody close to his level out there. In the crowd people were buzzing about Crepeau — nice to hear positive comments for him. 

Gritty result!  We're going to need to grind out many more like this, until this squad really finds its mojo. The backline was mostly excellent last night, with Henry clearly MOTM for the Caps. Crepeau was good but seemed a bit at sea on a few of the crosses.  Midfield ran their asses off, but we were not cohesive going forward. Inserting Reyna and Inbeom will improve things considerably.  Worried about Montero, but I've a feeling he'll turn this around big time once we build proper cohesion through the midfield. But you'd think Ardaiz would be the better guy to start if you wanted a hulking target to hit.

Big take away: Henry is getting better and better! Being forced to play out of the back will only do good things for his game, and he even pulled off a couple of tricky bits of footwork. Playing with a guy like Godoy, who has silky skills, will also be a plus for Henry.  

Again, I saw some nice moments in possession last night, but the team did give the ball away cheaply on too many occasions. Overall a solid result against an excellent team. Could have snatched the winner at the end, but MDS will have to wait a bit longer for his first MLS win. 

Adnan is exciting, to say the least!

The biggest positive I got out of this match, and the start of the season in general, is that the team is meeting my one key expectation:  they look tough to beat and are committed to the cause.  If you are tough to beat and keep battling to the end, anything can happen, as with those great chances by Ardaiz and In-beom in stoppage time.

Henry rightly earned a ton props for his key blocks, even though it always looks like last ditch defending.  Godoy, to me, has been really good out there but without the air of desperation.  The keeper has exceeded my expectations with his presence and handling in the box, though I thought he had a couple of hiccups last night:  one area which still needs work is his distribution with his feet.

Bangoura is a mixed bag of really good or really poor:  one moment, he looks like he can make something of out a minimal situation, but then a very short while later makes a really bad decision or play.  Venuto might be the Brazilian version of Mezquida:  looks far better in cameo sub appearances than as a starter.  As mentioned, Montero is becoming more of a concern because with this current attacking supporting cast he's not making anything happen, lacking the split seconds he used to have to poach or create for a teammate.

Hopefully Adnan will continue to impress.  With luck, the club can make something happen to keep him here longer term so that eliminates one major headache spot.

17 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

I never need to see Felipe again. He is consistently terrible - he doesn't pass well, cross well, tackle well, track back, etc. He does do a pretty good job of looking busy and appearing earnest. 

Well, while I think you are being a bit harsh, I am not sure I disagree in principle.  He certainly does not look like a game-changer, that is for sure.  My guess is that In-beom, Erice and Tiebert will occupy the midfield for most of the year, with Felipe and Rose coming on as subs. 

Not convinced the 4-3-3 is working yet (because it ain't), but I am still giving this team four or five more games before I start freaking out. The backline was very good last game, and the entire team defended well as a cohesive unit, so there are some not insignificant positive things to note, but we are very poor moving forward. One step at a time, and all that jazz...but we need to start seeing cohesion going forward (soon). I expect we'll see real improvement on Friday!

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Well, while I think you are being a bit harsh, I am not sure I disagree in principle.  He certainly does not look like a game-changer, that is for sure.  My guess is that In-beom, Erice and Tiebert will occupy the midfield for most of the year, with Felipe and Rose coming on as subs. 

I would be very surprised if the club didn't go out and seriously upgrade the Teibert/Felipe/Rose spot in this three man midfield during this summer transfer window.

The one thing at which Felipe excels is drawing fouls while in possession.  I'd be curious to know he ranks with other midfielders in that statistic.

3 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I would be very surprised if the club didn't go out and seriously upgrade the Teibert/Felipe/Rose spot in this three man midfield during this summer transfer window.

The one thing at which Felipe excels is drawing fouls while in possession.  I'd be curious to know he ranks with other midfielders in that statistic.

Yeah, like several MLS teams, Seattle included, I also get the feeling MDS will add a player or two in the summer. He will see how far he can take this team, with this system, then start tweaking.

Anyone else want to see Reyna in the center of the pitch? I do! I think he is lost on the wings.

18 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Yeah, like several MLS teams, Seattle included, I also get the feeling MDS will add a player or two in the summer. He will see how far he can take this team, with this system, then start tweaking.

Anyone else want to see Reyna in the center of the pitch? I do! I think he is lost on the wings.

They need a Diego Chara type of player as that midfield signing:  strong technically, big range, hard rock.

Unless MDS opts to go away from his preferred 4-3-3, I doubt we'll see Reyna in a centrally based role.  He's only signed up for this season, so the onus is on him to prove he can fit the role the coach has chosen for him.  If not, it's "next man up" next season.  Though I also agree that he's been at his best here in that central location, I also remember Dolan mentioning that he plays the wing for Peru, so I don't know what's different in his duties there as opposed to here.

Edited by BearcatSA

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

They need a Diego Chara type of player as that midfield signing:  strong technically, big range, hard rock.

Unless MDS opts to go away from his preferred 4-3-3, I doubt we'll see Reyna in a centrally based role.  He's only signed up for this season, so the onus is on him to prove he can fit the role the coach has chosen for him.  If not, it's "next man up" next season.  Though I also agree that he's been at his best here in that central location, I also remember Dolan mentioning that he plays the wing for Peru, so I don't know what different in his duties there as opposed to here.

Did not know he played the wing for Peru. Very interesting!