Vancouver Whitecaps 2019 Season

20 hours ago, GlassCity said:

My two cents on the Whitecaps search for a new Technical Director.

https://thisglasscity.wordpress.com/2019/08/21/technical-direction/

An analytics guru in soccer, like the first person you interviewed, is a very poor option for technical director. First, because he has no experience. Second, because analytics have never built a winning team in soccer, ever, it is one of the least relevant sports for analytic methodology. Third, because instead of the Caps finally getting on board and doing things right, they would just be screwing around with an improvised, unproven option yet again--a step sideways and not forward.

Stenz is different only because he has experience, but only as a technical director, not an analytics person. And not because he has his own analytics firm, which he'd have to close down or leave to someone else if hired by a serious pro team.

Fortunately the Caps are going to shoot higher than what you are proposing, options which frankly both surprise and irk me. We need someone used to 1-signing players, including handling agents, and understanding MLS rules 2-designing contracts in relation to the first point 3-working with a coach and his staff on the vision they have for the team 4-doing scouting, also with a team or network 5-building the entire academy or youth system into the overall club model, so that part of your job is done through your own youth.

On 8/22/2019 at 8:14 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

An analytics guru in soccer, like the first person you interviewed, is a very poor option for technical director. First, because he has no experience. Second, because analytics have never built a winning team in soccer, ever, it is one of the least relevant sports for analytic methodology. Third, because instead of the Caps finally getting on board and doing things right, they would just be screwing around with an improvised, unproven option yet again--a step sideways and not forward.

Stenz is different only because he has experience, but only as a technical director, not an analytics person. And not because he has his own analytics firm, which he'd have to close down or leave to someone else if hired by a serious pro team.

Fortunately the Caps are going to shoot higher than what you are proposing, options which frankly both surprise and irk me. We need someone used to 1-signing players, including handling agents, and understanding MLS rules 2-designing contracts in relation to the first point 3-working with a coach and his staff on the vision they have for the team 4-doing scouting, also with a team or network 5-building the entire academy or youth system into the overall club model, so that part of your job is done through your own youth.

Are they not looking for a "Sporting Director"?  That is a different beast, no?  

On 8/21/2019 at 8:20 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

My view is that the team is still playing badly, is poorly coached, and worse--making the exact same mistakes as under Robinson. For me, it looks like partially the previous intertia, which MDS has not broken by any means, and partially MDS not knowing how to get anywhere near to the type of play he spouts.

MDS is obviously a good coach, after what he's done with Ottawa and SanFran. But in any other country in the word he would have been kicked to the curve by now. He's got soo much credit there just Incredible.

If he doesn't get results fast next season I can't imagine they keep him for much longer. 

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

MDS is obviously a good coach, after what he's done with Ottawa and SanFran. But in any other country in the word he would have been kicked to the curve by now. He's got soo much credit there just Incredible.

If he doesn't get results fast next season I can't imagine they keep him for much longer. 

He would have been fired before the end of his first season??  I think there are plenty of teams that would give a new hire a full year to do something.  Next year?? Sure all bets are off if it hasnt turned around by then.  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

He would have been fired before the end of his first season??  I think there are plenty of teams that would give a new hire a full year to do something.  Next year?? Sure all bets are off if it hasnt turned around by then.  

If you're hired to improve a bad team and halfway the the season you're deadlast, no way you have a job in say France or Spain. 

1 hour ago, shamrock said:

If you're hired to improve a bad team and halfway the the season you're deadlast, no way you have a job in say France or Spain. 

Relegation threats would kill you off rather early on, unfortunately. 

I am fine with MDS repeating next year, since with Lenarduzzi out he may have more margin to do something close to what he really wants.

1. I continue to mancrush on Crepeau. He obviously hams it up with his acrobatics but damn is he ever entertaining and a hell of a shot stopper.

2. Dont mark wondo once shame on you. Continue to repeatedly not mark wondo even after he scores from a free header..shame on MDS. 

Unbelievable..ok, no totally believable unfortunately.

Crepeau aside that would have been heading for double figures.

Hope he gets the start in the Cuba game. He deserves to play in a team with better CBs in front of...ah shit. 

*they gave him the record for most saves in a match. Silver linings and all.

Edited by toontownman

Two horrific sides playing horrific football. 

If that's our best defensive partnership for Canada we remain in trouble playing sides with any quality. 

Needs almost another 11 players brought in over the close season. That wouldnt be a problem if they didnt already do that. What makes anyone think they would do any different this time around. 

On a brighter note if they can find the right players they could get away with 2 new strikers, 3 new mids, 2 more CBs 2 wingers and 1 right back. 

49 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Cornelius man...woof...guy will make an incredible pass to start a counter then give up the ball in a terrible spot the next play. 

How are Vancouver fan's feelings towards MDS? I love how open he is in interviews. 

I really hope you guys give him the time he needs

I've never followed my hometown club less than right now. Far from abandoning them in their time of need, I think many once passionate supporters, like me, have felt so consistently let down by apathy and disarray and general lack of ambition and professionalism at many levels that this recent manager and many of the positives (such as having half the contributors being Canadian or, as you say, being so honest in interviews) have gone largely unnoticed. To be blunt, very few people care either way, even the skeletal soccer media here or the many hardcore soccer people. Which is sad, because we had the potential to have a very very good thing here in Vancouver.

There is no reason Vancouver cannot be like Portland, if not Seattle. Both sides have won and MLS cup and although Portland miss the playoffs from time to time, they are generally in the mix every year. 

From an outsider's perspective, it seems that Davies was the main reason, maybe the only reason, to pay attention to this team. It was a big mistake not replacing him with a real big name player. They would have had the money to do so. 

Even if they struggled after replacing Davies with a big player, there would be someone to build around and at the very least someone worth tuning in for.

And it wouldn't necessarily have to be a Zlatan or Rooney, but even a Bojan Kirkic would have been a welcome sight in Vancouver. An attacker with some name recognition that can create something from nothing.

I am not a Whitecaps fan per se, but it makes me sad they cannot get it together. I really like MDS, but unless they loosen up and spend, they are going to be a meddling side for the foreseeable future and that's a shame.

Vancouver is a soccer hot-bed and the game has deep roots in the city. They deserve better.

2 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

I love how open he is in interviews. 

He's always been like that. Ask anyone who covered him in Montreal or Ottawa about him and they'll say the same thing. Frédéric Lord, TVA Sports play-by-play man, was mostly at Radio-Canada as a writing journalist for them was waiting for Dos Santos to say something to put the first paragraph. 

He was open sbout Adnan's injury situation after the match, but you're left to wonder if the Iraqi should be sitting a game to avoid a more serious and long term aggravation.  Or maybe you could read between the lines as to what the coach thinks of Adnan's replacements, who knows?

Well, since the Caps' season is over, let's start the discussion about who should stay, who should go, and what sorts of players we need to bring in.  No sense asking for MDS to be let go; that ain't happening, at least not this year. I think he made a hash out of recruitment, but I'll give him a Mulligan knowing that the Caps' entire scouting system has been a farce since Day One.  My hope is that the club is now ready to do what TFC did several years ago when they brought in Leiwike.  I hope the new sporting director and scouting team can help the club evolve and grow and become one of the finest in MLS.

But, first, the players:

Should Go:

Erice: Too slow, too old. Often a liability defensively and did not add enough going forward. (Note that the team was playing better with Inbeom playing Erice's role.) While the teams' struggles have been far greater than anyone person, I feel that much of the struggle has come down to transition between the backline and the midfield, and Erice is the man responsible for most of that link up. This team lacked cohesion for 90% of the year, and the first order of business for MDS will be solving this.  

Bangoura: Kid has wheels and some skill, but he does not have the head for football, not at this level at least. 

Ardaiz: Maybe he needs another year, but I think he is a headcase, and a poor fit on a MDS squad. Do we really need Ardaiz when we've got Bair?

Levis: Kills me to put his name down, but despite his pluck, great attitude and pace, I suspect MLS is a level too high for him. I would expect to see him in CPL next year.

Should Stay:

Crepeau; Inbeom; Reyna; Gadoy; Henry; Bair; Adnan; Teibert; 

Unsure

Ricketts: I'd keep him as an option off the bench, but only if the club cannot sign two more accomplished strikers

Nerwinski: He's struggled this year, with a few nice moments here and there. My fear is that he does not have much more upside, and we really need a RB who has the skill to play in this league. I'd keep him as cover, but he does not feel like a starter to me.

Rose: Love his work rate and attitude, and every team needs a journeyman jack-of-all-trades--especially in capped league--but I just don't feel he is good enough.

Montero: I would likely put him in the "Should Go" category, but he still has something to offer, especially to the younger players. He might be around for another year, to bridge the recruitment transition, which will likely take two years.

Chirinos: I like a lot of what I've seen so far, and while I feel he is a (slight) upgrade on Venutto, I do not feel he is worth signing for big dollars.  If TFC is not going to play Osorio, I'd take Oso over Chirinos in a heartbeat.

Cornelius: He's had a spotty year, to say the least. He had a nice spell while paired with Gadoy, but the gaffes came back in Montreal. I'd like to keep him around for another year to see how he grows. CBs take a long time to mature, and we have to keep in mind that he is a converted CB.  He seems like a grounded, smart kid: patience might pay dividends yet.

--

But those are just some of my thoughts. I would love to hear what you Vees have to say.

Stick a fork in Montero:  he's cooked.  If he's on a guaranteed deal, buy him out or agree to mutual termination terms.  Not the future.

Is Erice on a guaranteed 3/4 mil for next year?  If so, ouch!  

People can speculate about Reyna's contract status regarding options but I don't think he'll be in Vancouver next season.

I just don't know what people were expecting from Montero. He is past his prime and was never a traditional number 9, not least even in his own words he describes himself working best as a number 10 or with another striker so he can support. 

You can't stick an older version of someone who never really worked as the only striker up front and expect results. They hung him out to dry really. it was a crowd pleasing signing but with no eyes on how he would fit in to MDS tactics and formations.

The worst part is we still aren't the worst team in MLS to pick up a decent draft pick as consolation. 

10 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Well, since the Caps' season is over, let's start the discussion about who should stay, who should go, and what sorts of players we need to bring in.  No sense asking for MDS to be let go; that ain't happening, at least not this year. I think he made a hash out of recruitment, but I'll give him a Mulligan knowing that the Caps' entire scouting system has been a farce since Day One.  My hope is that the club is now ready to do what TFC did several years ago when they brought in Leiwike.  I hope the new sporting director and scouting team can help the club evolve and grow and become one of the finest in MLS.

But, first, the players:

Should Go:

Erice: Too slow, too old. Often a liability defensively and did not add enough going forward. (Note that the team was playing better with Inbeom playing Erice's role.) While the teams' struggles have been far greater than anyone person, I feel that much of the struggle has come down to transition between the backline and the midfield, and Erice is the man responsible for most of that link up. This team lacked cohesion for 90% of the year, and the first order of business for MDS will be solving this.  

Bangoura: Kid has wheels and some skill, but he does not have the head for football, not at this level at least. 

Ardaiz: Maybe he needs another year, but I think he is a headcase, and a poor fit on a MDS squad. Do we really need Ardaiz when we've got Bair?

Levis: Kills me to put his name down, but despite his pluck, great attitude and pace, I suspect MLS is a level too high for him. I would expect to see him in CPL next year.

Should Stay:

Crepeau; Inbeom; Reyna; Gadoy; Henry; Bair; Adnan; Teibert; 

Unsure

Ricketts: I'd keep him as an option off the bench, but only if the club cannot sign two more accomplished strikers

Nerwinski: He's struggled this year, with a few nice moments here and there. My fear is that he does not have much more upside, and we really need a RB who has the skill to play in this league. I'd keep him as cover, but he does not feel like a starter to me.

Rose: Love his work rate and attitude, and every team needs a journeyman jack-of-all-trades--especially in capped league--but I just don't feel he is good enough.

Montero: I would likely put him in the "Should Go" category, but he still has something to offer, especially to the younger players. He might be around for another year, to bridge the recruitment transition, which will likely take two years.

Chirinos: I like a lot of what I've seen so far, and while I feel he is a (slight) upgrade on Venutto, I do not feel he is worth signing for big dollars.  If TFC is not going to play Osorio, I'd take Oso over Chirinos in a heartbeat.

Cornelius: He's had a spotty year, to say the least. He had a nice spell while paired with Gadoy, but the gaffes came back in Montreal. I'd like to keep him around for another year to see how he grows. CBs take a long time to mature, and we have to keep in mind that he is a converted CB.  He seems like a grounded, smart kid: patience might pay dividends yet.

--

But those are just some of my thoughts. I would love to hear what you Vees have to say.

I pretty well agree with you. If you let go Montero, you can go back to being serious about signing a striker who can go forward with us, along with Bair. I agree about Rose, though would keep him. And think you are right about Erice, he had a huge upside coming in but has not shown it. 

As for Cornelius and Levis, probably right as well. 

On 8/29/2019 at 6:59 AM, toontownman said:

If that's our best defensive partnership for Canada we remain in trouble playing sides with any quality. 

Needs almost another 11 players brought in over the close season. That wouldnt be a problem if they didnt already do that. What makes anyone think they would do any different this time around. 

1. True that.

2. Exactly. They even did it halfway during last season. Complete overhaul, no positives. The only argument to give MDS another shot is continuity, but if he has to start all over, that argument is void. 

I like the keeper and CBs.  If the price for Godoy is within reason, then they should sign him but then they'll have to up Henry's contract.  Cornelius is still honing his craft yet I like his upside so keeping Godoy here might help his growth as well as complement Henry's play.  The Tuinisian guy is a red shirt x factor for next season.

I've said it all year long that this midfield needs a big time box to box horse/"8" to take the team to the next level.  To me, Erice, Teibert, and the since departed Felipe are all the same type of linking, keep-it-rolling possession player with varying weaknesses contrasting them (it's no surprise that the Brazilian is doing really well in that type of role with DC United at the moment).  The overlooked part of In Beom's game is his shot from distance so getting that other 8 will support that facet of the attack while helping the deeper lying mid and back line.

Levis is a cheap, domestic back up to Adnan so for me he stays.  He can still do a job here but he himself might want to seek a situation where he can play more.  I'm not a fan of PC so he can go:  he's strictly a wind up artist who can't pass accurately.  Rose is strictly a back up, at best.

With regards to the others, I unfortunately see another big churn of the roster instead of tweaks, so continuity suffers.  However, that also plays into the buying time, spin handbook of "the lads need time to gel."