Vancouver Whitecaps 2019 Season

After 1st half, Crepeau has been good so far, no chance on the penalty. Henry has also been very good though with one terrible pass that led to an unnecessary scoring opportunity for Minnesota, ie. the one bad play he is known for. Disappointed so far in Cornelius, too casual, letting players get behind him, positioning not great. To be fair he is playing out of position at left back though. Miller was more impressive at left back earlier in the day though. 

Tough loss. Crepeau played well, third goal was a deflection and other than one absolutely horrible pass from the back that almost gifted Minnesota a goal,he was solid. Cornelius looked ok playing out of position, seemed a bit jittery at times.  Henry scores the second Vancouver goal and played well making some strong tackles.  Dos Santos should be happy with the effort if not the result.  Going to be our CMNT coach one day.

Two sloppy give-aways in the wrong part of the field and Minnesota made the Caps pay.  Erice was a bit too slow in releasing the ball and got caught in possession.  As MDS said in the post game press conference, what was most disappointing was the decision making with the ball, in particular how the team opted for too many low percentage passes when easy, short passes were on.  Having said that, the team grew nicely in the second half--despite the two goals against--and as this team builds chemistry and confidence, they will clean up the sloppy mistakes and start playing some attractive football. They've some very smart footballers out there, and some decent talent. And MDS has a clear vision.  Wish he got a win for his first home game, but so it goes...

I was a bit disappointed in Cornelius' performance but at the same time I can't recall him ever playing left back before in Serbia or elsewhere. I don't know who was penciled in to be the Caps starting LB with the departure of DeJong but it is a bit strange that Cornelius makes his MLS/Caps debut in a position he has never played before. Reminded me a bit of the Petrasso/Edwards experiment in Montreal last season in which two guys who have some skill as players were being tried out in a position they did not really understand nor know how to play. 

Henry on the other hand was a beast and dominant defender except that he made 1 boneheaded play in each half. If he can somehow get trained not to make those boneheaded plays he would be an amazing CG for Canada

Henry has always been a beast, even as a 19/20 year old he could really be dominant in the back. At that time I fully expected him to overcome his propensity for brain cramps as he matured. Sadly that hasn’t happened. He’ll be 26 in a few weeks and he still seems as error prone as he was in his youth. On the other hand his playing time was limited for a number of seasons due to injuries and he’s never played for an extended period under a competent manager. Maybe Dos Santos can guide him to finally reach his potential.

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Henry on the other hand was a beast and dominant defender except that he made 1 boneheaded play in each half. If he can somehow get trained not to make those boneheaded plays he would be an amazing CG for Canada

I think it's going to be a case of "what you see is what you get" with him.  He's great  in the air and even after serious injuries he still has agility and good wheels.  But he's a risky player who can make a highlight reel big time challenge and then a highlight reel gaffe, like a muffed clearance into his own goal.  I don't think that's going to change, regardless of the coach.  Godoy had a solid debut but it was too bad with that deflection own goal.

Cornelius isn't a fullback but in his defence he was getting little midfield support.  Watch that first goal again and see how he had to deal with a 2 on 1 which eventually became a 3 on 1 with a new attacker making the cross to the far post.  No Felipe, Hwang In-beom, or Lass tracking back to help.  One thing the team will miss with Davies was that he was a beast tracking back on attackers coming in on his fullback partner.  Dos Santos needs to find his version of Kaye to help that part of the Whitecaps' defensive game.

13 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

To be clear, Cornelius was covering for two injured left backs: Levis and PC.  MDS said at the press conference that he had to play Cornelius out of position, that Cornelius has done very well at CB, which is his natural position.

Yes it definitely can't be easy making your debut with a new team in a new league playing in a position you have never played before.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I think it's going to be a case of "what you see is what you get" with him.  He's great  in the air and even after serious injuries he still has agility and good wheels.  But he's a risky player who can make a highlight reel big time challenge and then a highlight reel gaffe, like a muffed clearance into his own goal.  I don't think that's going to change, regardless of the coach.  Godoy had a solid debut but it was too bad with that deflection own goal.

Cornelius isn't a fullback but in his defence he was getting little midfield support.  Watch that first goal again and see how he had to deal with a 2 on 1 which eventually became a 3 on 1 with a new attacker making the cross to the far post.  No Felipe, Hwang In-beom, or Lass tracking back to help.  One thing the team will miss with Davies was that he was a beast tracking back on attackers coming in on his fullback partner.  Dos Santos needs to find his version of Kaye to help that part of the Whitecaps' defensive game.

Agree with your comments on the lack of support for Cornelius. In regards to Henry though the problem is not that he is taking risks ala Ciman and getting punished when the risk fails but that he is making boneheaded plays. To compare with what I commented on with Miller he made two plays that were fantastic and really impressed me but at the same time I thought that was super risky and dangerous if he had not pulled it off and unless he can be really successful and consistent with plays like that in the future it might be better to play it safe. However, with Henry's two plays that I commented on they were just stupid errors like in the first half he just passed the ball to a Minnesota player leading to an attack (I would assume he did not look before he made the pass). One would hope that he can stay injury free for a while and with steady playing time and good coaching he can get rid of that habit because other than those two passes he was one of the best players on the pitch last night. 

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

One would hope that he can stay injury free for a while and with steady playing time and good coaching he can get rid of that habit because other than those two passes he was one of the best players on the pitch last night. 

I'll give you an example of what I call a high risk play from last night's game:  a cross is played in at the near left post where Henry is located.  Having to play it off of his weaker left foot, instead of opting to come straighter at the ball and playing it back in the exact same direction (the safe option), he went for a big swing of his left foot to clear it up the field.  There's a lower percentage of getting the contact right and if you don't, you end up Titus Bramble-ing a mishit past your keeper at the that near post.  Sure, you can nit pick, but I've seen enough of that over the course of his career.  I don't think that's going to change.

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

To be fair Cornelius wasn’t that bad at LB. I think he did better than what we could expect from any other player. It says something that MDS started him over someone like Sutter who could have switched to LB from RB.

I think that the injured incumbents as well as the departed De Jong probably would have been badly exposed under the same lack of support, as well.

22 hours ago, nolando said:

How bad of an idea would it be to try and get Ashtone Morgan to play beside Henry at LB as a cheap short-medium range solution?

Bad.  Morgan would just be a big time whipping boy who could do little right and lots of wrong in the eyes of the fans.

Edited by BearcatSA