Vancouver Whitecaps 2019 Season

2 hours ago, RS said:

Ashtone Morgan: Good enough to start in Azteca in the CCL semis and in the CCL final, but not good enough to be a stopgap solution for some Vancouver Whitecaps fans. ?

This..Morgan was a stud during the CCL matches. They tried to attack his side during the first half and had absolutely no success, switching to the other flank soon after.....don't understand the negative reaction. 

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

This..Morgan was a stud during the CCL matches. They tried to attack his side during the first half and had absolutely no success, switching to the other flank soon after.....don't understand the negative reaction. 

Spent a lot of his development next to Henry too, which is part of my suggestion. Might enjoy a change of scenery if if he ended up second choice in Vancouver as well.

Matchday 2 away to a usually solid RSL team that kept most of the core and added a couple strong players

Changes to the 11 probably Cornelius out for PC and maybe Lass out for Venuto

Teibert is fit but would be surprised to see changes to the middle three

33 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Matchday 2 away to a usually solid RSL team that kept most of the core and added a couple strong players

Changes to the 11 probably Cornelius out for PC and maybe Lass out for Venuto

Teibert is fit but would be surprised to see changes to the middle three

I think Felipe might also go to the bench in favour of a better two way defensive presence, so that might be Teibert or Rose.  Rio Tinto is a tough place in the early season, so I think we may see more defensive shape and counter than the pressing game.  We'll get a chance to see more of MDS's tactical chops/pragmatism and in match adjustments for this one.  They can't let the opposition flank players and Rusnak have free range like we saw with the Loons fullbacks and Quintero last week.

It looks like they've got their new LB from Iraq via Serie A so that's one more box checked off.

MDS might want to adjust to a 4-4-2, with Reyna playing just behind Montero. Erice and Inbeom can boss the midfield, with the Korean pushing up the field, and then Lass and Venuto on the wings. (Not overly impressed with Venuto, to be honest. Lass looked very dangerous.) Inbeom looked very good. We'll see how the team gels, but I get the impression they are still missing a few key pieces.  Reyna and Inbeom are their best players at the moment. Erice had a better game today. Ball movement is improving significantly, but they are still not clicking in the final third.  Montero looked lost, to be honest.  But let's be honest, a phantom PK did them in today. Doneil had a sweet chance to tie things up.

Vancouver Whitecaps sign Iraqi left back Ali Adnan on loan from Udinese

The Vancouver Whitecaps have signed Iraqi international left back Ali Adnan on loan through the end of June, the club announced Saturday. The 25-year-old, who will return to his parent club Udinese Calcio of Serie A when the loan expires on June 30, is the first-ever Iraqi-born player in Major League Soccer.

FWIW, I think this is a side and a style that might suit Tiebert.  I am not sure, based on early observations, that Felipe and Rose are much better than Rusty, at least in this system of play, and neither have the engine that he has.  Felipe is likely better technically, but he does not have the same engine or pace as Russell.  Rose has the height, and he seems tenacious, but Tiebert seems to be a bit better technically, and maybe a bit quicker, too.  If Tiebert had two feet, and not just his left, then I'd say he'd be the automatic starter over these two fellas.  Still, there is an opening here for him...I hope he takes it.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, Kadenge said:

I see that Morgan didn't get called up for CNL match in Vancover, the club opting instead to go with Adekugbe and (I'm guessing here) Davies as the LBs/LWBs to cover that spot of the pitch.

8 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I see that Morgan didn't get called up for CNL match in Vancover, the club opting instead to go with Adekugbe and (I'm guessing here) Davies as the LBs/LWBs to cover that spot of the pitch.

No surprise there. Adekugbe has started consistently in Norway top tier for the past 2 seasons and if we were playing a top tier Concacaf team or GC I would expect MDJ or Morgan as cover depending on who was more in form. 

5 hours ago, Kadenge said:

No surprise there. Adekugbe has started consistently in Norway top tier for the past 2 seasons and if we were playing a top tier Concacaf team or GC I would expect MDJ or Morgan as cover depending on who was more in form. 

Yet it looks like we have brought up all our A listers for this one, and that group didn't include Morgan.  We're likely to see the same type of line up in the GC.  I'm guessing that the coaching staff are seeing Morgan and De Jong as training ground injury replacements as opposed to being in the main squad members.

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

3 losses to open the season, not the start i was expecting from an MDS side.

Henry and Crepeau looked solid today.  Cornelius definitely has to step up his game.  A lot. 

Didn't you expect a slow start with so many new players and a new system? 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Didn't you expect a slow start with so many new players and a new system? 

I did! To be fair, the Caps got screwed on PK calls the last two games. Get better calls and clean up the giveaways at the back, and they'll start winning games. They still look disjointed but they look more cohesive with every game. I still question playing Reyna out wide...

I expected a slow start, not only because of the amount of new players, but because of how late they arrived in preseason. What makes the slow start even worse, is who the losses have been against...Minnesota, RSL and Houston...3 teams that may be amongst the weakest in the Western Conference.

What has me the most concerned is that the quality of the new arrivals doesn't seem to be at the level required (still small sample size).

Hwang is class. Lass had a nice goal today but need to see more. Montero doesn't quite seem the same player. Venuto has been poor. Erice has some quality but seems slow. Rose is not starting calibre. I have hope for Godoy if he had a CB partner better than Henry beside him.

MDS had his work cut out for him.

We miss the physicality and presence of Kamara. Montero even by his own admission isnt a lone striker and prefers to be a support striker. We look weak up top.

Top marks so far for Crepeau, Hwang, Bangoura and goday, Henry (although the latter two arent fully gelling yet). 

Pretty much agree with Masster. Erice hasnt been impressive, rose looks as inspiring as I thought he would be. Felipe hasnt been as impressive as he should be either. Honestly I think teibert would be better than all three.We look so weak at fullback still. Hopefully the new LB will fix that but Sutter doesn't seem a great upgrade on those we released (so far obviously) and nerwinski is as much if a liability defensively as an asset coming forward.

Cornelius had one to forget but hopefully from which to learn.  Any time you go to ground in the penalty area, you're asking for trouble.  That wasn't great decision making.  It seemed like Henry, in particular, and Godoy had a lot of blocks and cut outs to stop Houston attempts on goal.  Too many.  Godoy's technical fart on the giveaway wasn't punished but apart from that I like what he brings to the team.

I still think this is still a big work in progress.  Getting Adnan on board should help the LB position but I really believe that the third midfield spot really needs a big time, box to box stud out there to support Erice and the back line but also to support Hwang In-boem and the attackers.

Edit:  also, I've liked what I've seen from Crepeau so far. 

Edited by BearcatSA

I am also not convinced MDS had got all the horses he needs yet, but there were some good signs last game. Let's be honest: We gave goals away on very poor defensive errors.

I am not convinced the formation is working either. We'll see how it evolves, but a guy like Montero never has success without a strike partner, or at least somebody tucked in behind him.  Reyna, to me, is not well-used on the wing.  Those two--Montero and Reyna--had great chemistry two years ago, but Reyna played in behind Montero. Maybe we need to consider more of a 4-4-1-1 

Once everyone is healthy, something like:

Crepeau

Nerwinski  Godoy Henry/Khimiri  Adnan

Lass Erice Inbeom  Tiebert/Vanutto

Reyna

Montero

--And I would give Reyna and Inbeom the freedom to move around in the midfield, to be very dynamic.

What tees me off is that MDS had all winter to figure things out, they did their preseason, and they are still figuring things out a month into the league. I mean, the guy knows the league, if he had a clear vision he needed to be executing it earlier and getting it to work earlier as well. 

I'd give him another 3-4 games to prove we can win or draw and compete. After ten, decide whether we are going anywhere with his ideas or not.

We are still sitting on the money for Davies, it has not been spent yet. 

The only new guy that I have a big question mark around is Venuto:  even in his minutes he hasn't jumped out with anything where you say he looks like a key guy in the attack.  He's not a big guy but lacks a genuine burst to beat a guy, unlike Lass.  And, regardless of the attacking set up in the striker position, Montero's going to have to show that he still has the goods pretty quickly or the young DP Ardaiz should get a shot at an extended run of starts.

The one big positive for me is that Hwang In-Boem looks to be the business, both as a creator and finisher (he has a great strike off of either foot).  But he needs to be more of a one way player in this midfield set up so that leaves the other two to do the less glamourous work.  Erice has a specific skill set in his holding mid role, while the other guy needs to be the box to box horse out there.  Felipe isn't it (sorry, Peter Galindo from Sportsnet), Rose looks technically limited, and Teibert gets to be next man up for the umpteenth time in his career here.  If you're going to spend Davies dollars, spend it on that third midfielder.