Vancouver Whitecaps 2019 Season

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Anybody see the game? How did the Caps look? From the stats it looks like they dominated, mostly, but the final result says it all.

They are not going to fire MDS in his first year. Nor should they. But the pressure is on and only increasing.

The only way he gets let go is if the FO believes that he has lost the dressing room.  They are not going to endure a soap opera which occurred at last year's end of season presser, but one that will have two months of regular season play from which to fester.

3 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Anybody see the game? How did the Caps look? From the stats it looks like they dominated...

The stats are misleading. Cavalry looked their equal man for man and controlled play (if not possession) for much of the game. What particularly impressed me was the ease with which they were able to dispossess Caps and dribble past them or make short passes in tight spaces around them.

5 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Anybody see the game? How did the Caps look? From the stats it looks like they dominated, mostly, but the final result says it all.

💩 It was, quite frankly, an embarassing performance. Looked like a league or two below Calgary. With rare exceptions, it looked like they didn't give a hoot.

1 hour ago, ted said:

The stats are misleading. Cavalry looked their equal man for man and controlled play (if not possession) for much of the game. What particularly impressed me was the ease with which they were able to dispossess Caps and dribble past them or make short passes in tight spaces around them.

Like the MLS teams who have been owning the Caps recently, they've probably done their due diligence with scouting and prepared accordingly.

I wish the late, great Neil Macrae was around to do one of his sports rants:  "The Whitecaps are a laughing stock!  Lenarduzzi's a joke!  I'm Neil Macrae for re-bar!" (or whoever he had as sponsor at the time for his radio spot).

What's MDS to do? They released de Jong, lost Waston, Davies and Kamara and got what exactly. Some very overhyped young Korean player, an overpaid shit forward in Montero, Bob Bradley's fucking son-in-law and Adnin (props to him) a very good outside back, but who doesn't seem to be the strongest defensively. And how anyone could abide having that Yordy Reyna on a team. My oh my.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Like the MLS teams who have been owning the Caps recently, they've probably done their due diligence with scouting and prepared accordingly.

I wish the late, great Neil Macrae was around to do one of his sports rants:  "The Whitecaps are a laughing stock!  Lenarduzzi's a joke!  I'm Neil Macrae for re-bar!" (or whoever he had as sponsor at the time for his radio spot).

The Province's Paul Chapman channels Macrae for us:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/chapman-whitecaps-are-an-embarrassment-from-top-to-bottom-1.1342146

Reading the twitter feeds is pretty telling, there are a lot of similar messages, most targeting the owners and Lenarduzzi. 

Even Nash's feed, where he made a short comment encouraging the Caps after the loss, was a shitstorm. 

They did not have the balls to put the MDS press conference up on twitter, or anywhere it could be commented on, since really that was a shameful lack of professionalism on his part. He blames his players and refuses to accept responsibility for not knowing how to coach them. I am finally convinced that he is as incapable of altering things as Robbo was. 

On 7/26/2019 at 12:54 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Reading the twitter feeds is pretty telling, there are a lot of similar messages, most targeting the owners and Lenarduzzi. 

Even Nash's feed, where he made a short comment encouraging the Caps after the loss, was a shitstorm. 

They did not have the balls to put the MDS press conference up on twitter, or anywhere it could be commented on, since really that was a shameful lack of professionalism on his part. He blames his players and refuses to accept responsibility for not knowing how to coach them. I am finally convinced that he is as incapable of altering things as Robbo was. 

Maybe the project is just too large for MDS. Unlike Robbo, he had a track record of success (albeit at the lower levels), so this is a good coach, but a very, very challenging project.

Slamming his players aside, I think the problems with Vancouver are going to take time to rectify.

A big problem is the personel. The talent just is not there.

You see what is happening in San Jose and it's easy to say "well he's a better coach" and while that is true, he also radiates confidence and now there is a feel-good factor down there, even though the players are largely the same.

Meanwhile, Vancouver sold their rising star to the Bundesliga and their stat defender wanted to leave. The conditions for positive vibes were never there to begin with.

So as an outside observer with little emotional investment for this team, I cut MDS some slack and recognize it is hard enough to put lipstick on this pig, not to mention all the negativity surrounding the team from day 1.

It's easy for me to say "stay patient", but I will say it anyways: stay patient.

Edited by Obinna

Gutsy win tonight over Cincy.  Yes they should beat them, but with the loads of shit being dumped on the team lately it was nice to see them grind out a win on the road.  Also nice to see Mattocks is still a terrible finisher.  

After tonights games I wonder if Montreal has a case of the "what ifs" as far as their keeper situation?? Crepeau will look good in a whitecaps jersey for years.  

A much needed win for the Caps and good on them for pushing for a late winner when a road point might have been what many managers would settle for! The Canadians all played fairly well I thought, in the end there were 5 on the pitch which is good to see, also Paul Dolan points out the Canadian content and embraces it unlike a certain Scotsman who does the TFC colour!

3 hours ago, gator said:

A much needed win for the Caps and good on them for pushing for a late winner when a road point might have been what many managers would settle for! The Canadians all played fairly well I thought, in the end there were 5 on the pitch which is good to see, also Paul Dolan points out the Canadian content and embraces it unlike a certain Scotsman who does the TFC colour!

I'm glad I am not the only one who has problems with Caldwell.  He was easy on Morrow after getting the red, when we all know what he would have said if it was Fraser, Morgan or Chapman etc.  I thought Sutton did very well at the anchor desk for TSN.  Kind of diet Forrest.  I hope he becomes a regular, or parlays it into a job with the CPL.  

22 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Gutsy win tonight over Cincy.  Yes they should beat them, but with the loads of **** being dumped on the team lately it was nice to see them grind out a win on the road.  Also nice to see Mattocks is still a terrible finisher.  

After tonights games I wonder if Montreal has a case of the "what ifs" as far as their keeper situation?? Crepeau will look good in a whitecaps jersey for years.  

They earned the **** that's been dumped on them, from the ownership down.  

I see the captain Erice's been sitting.  

Edited by BearcatSA

Without playing much better, they got the win. I celebrated it and hey, even feel chipper today because of it. 

A few more could have gone that way this season. They still defend too deep, back peddle constantly, are outnumbered in the defensive end as happened with Robbo, let opposing players have time in the box, and are doing exactly what the Caps did under Robinson with Ousted in goal and Waston in front: absorb attacks stoically. It is very poor football, same garbage long balls to Montero as if he were Kamara or another tall target. Sad stuff.

The best thing about the winner was seeing Teibert going deep and attacking space from the middle, and Felipe also following the play all the way in. 

Felipe gone, Venuto gone, definitely more to come at season's end, loan Honduran winger in, perhaps one more MLS move on deadline day but I highly doubt one will be a higher profile signing from outside the league.

I'm waiting for another "Remember 79 Celebration" 2.0 on the weekend for which it was originally scheduled (Labour Day weekend vs NYCFC) to act as a rodeo clown distraction for this write off of a season.

Edited by BearcatSA