Vancouver Whitecaps 2019 Season

No one good enough from players to coach but lets say ok it was because of so many new players and new staff and they needed time..now thats not a good reason anymore..they need to get results and quick..1 point in 5 games 3 of them at home..going forward needs to be much more 

28 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

Looked very good for first 30 minutes. Looked poor in the second half. Long ways to go still. Not convinced they've got the horses...

There was some pretty poor defending by LA that gave the Caps their two big first half chances which were missed (in the first case, egregiously) and then some pretty poor Caps defensive plays that ended up becoming two (and really, should have been three) goals.  Unfortunately, once the subs were all made it resulted seemingly in a 4-1-5 formation which relied more on one-man-show efforts (Reyna, Ventuo) than coordinated attacking play. 

1-1 at Chicago

Weak decisions by dos santos..should have pressed this team hard from the start and would have gotten 1-2 more goals..but in the end they were leading and the story is henry taking 2 points from his team and giving 1 to chicago

Inbeom needs to be better offensively..give more time to ardaiz and bangoura..adnan needs to be better also

Very hard to see if it hit the arm but if ref was asked to look at it they probably had a better shot that showed it hit the arm..and if it hit the arm its a penalty no doubt..in any case hes still putting his arms out like that after so many penalties conceded..how much is it going to take to stop making those mistakes

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

No matter how much you dislike Henry, there is no way that should have been a penalty. Bad call.

Henry for the amount of times I’ve seen him with TFC and the national team was always a player who  seemed to make critical mistakes that usually led to goals. However, I must say from what I’ve seen so far with the Whitecaps he seems to be improving and looks a lot more confident in his play. Unfortunately last night is just one of those unfortunate incidents a penalty that should never have been called but I’ve seen penalties given for those type of handballs. In no way do I think Henry is at fault there, just an unfortunate incident .

Edited by 1996

I have been impressed from what I have seen of Henry this year. From the angle I saw I do not think it was a penalty but possibly there were angles that showed otherwise. However, I think he still needs to take some blame on this. The attacker was attempting a very low success rate move and Henry moved on him very aggressively (which alone can be dangerous) plus he had his arms outstretched. I think when you do this you are just asking for something bad to happen. Nevertheless, he has looked very good this year and hopefully with regular playing time will reduce the amount of mistakes and rash decisions he makes because he looks really good most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

STATEMENT BY WHITECAPS OWNERS MALLETT AND KERFOOT.

To view this email as a web page, go here.
20ec5afa-ccfe-4ce5-beb5-e59c6427e869.jpg
To our community,

As we reflect on what happened in 2008 and the blogs that have been published over the last several weeks, we express sincere regret and empathy for the harm that has clearly come to many women who participated in our program at that time. The pain and suffering these women feel is real and something we care deeply about. And while we sought and acted on the advice of the best available counsel at the time, it is clear that people were deeply affected. For that we are sorry.

There’s absolutely no place for any form of harassment or bullying in our club or in society as a whole. That is why, eleven years ago the Whitecaps launched an independent investigation on the same day a serious allegation of misconduct was made against the coach of the Women’s team.

We respect the bravery it took to come forward and entrust us with a complaint of this nature and knew it demanded immediate response. Following a thorough investigation, we terminated our relationship with the coach and adopted an extensive respectful workplace policy.

Upon recently reading in an online blog that there may be new allegations related to 2008, we immediately reported them to the Vancouver Police Department.

It was important that we acted in a timely fashion then. But there is still more work to be done today.

As we stated on April 17 the club will conduct a thorough and independent review of our operations to ensure that we foster and enforce a culture of zero tolerance for any form of harassment or bullying. In addition to reviewing our current respectful workplace policies and procedures, we will also be reviewing the actions we took 11 years ago to determine what we can learn from them going forward. We have already begun interviewing candidates for this very important work. The results of this effort will be shared publicly.

Additionally, we are committed to working closely with our governing bodies and sport partners as, together, we pursue a more active leadership role in safe sport initiatives. Every sport should be safe, and we want to help lead the way.

Society as a whole is making considerable progress on these issues because victims have spoken out and demanded change. We believe in the power of female athletes to change society for the better and we strive to be leaders in changing the culture of sport for women in Canada.

By advocating for those who have been hurt, we can all help clear the way for safer sport for all women and foster an environment free of discrimination and harassment in which girls and women can thrive. This is and must be our highest priority not only for girls and women but for all athletes.

Sincerely,
21c36ced-ade8-4454-92ee-e668c2a27d1c.png
Greg Kerfoot & Jeff Mallett
Co-owners

Coaching staff really needs to make crepeau understand he doesnt have to go get every cross even when its too far and better to stay in goal..thats really his big weakness right now..trying to hard to be out there and get everything and something even leaving the near post too open

Of course you're right.. still love maxime. He has been fantastic. If they can coach those little things out of him like you mention he could be massive for our program.

Henry with arguably the best tackle of the season. Completely destroyed valeri. Another great game from him. Delighted he is getting consistent games and health. He is approaching the start of his peak years and hopefully he maintains this type of form.

The performance was much more attacking Whitecaps of old. Soft centre though which led to pretty much 90 mins of end to end. 

Hopefully the turn of a corner and more cohesion on the pitch for the team. A couple of big pieces added in the summer could see playoffs still on the radar. Will be a war of attrition until then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Caps have been gutting out some tough results as of late, which is impressive considering the teams they are facing, the number of games they are playing each week, the injuries and the travel.  And while they are far from the finished product, there are plenty of signs of growth and improvement. Great result against NYRB last night. Their confidence is growing, and some of the football has been very strong. (And some has been frustrating). I still think they need some player upgrades, perhaps this summer, but I like how this team is coming together. Impressed by MDS so far.

3 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Caps have been gutting out some tough results as of late, which is impressive considering the teams they are facing, the number of games they are playing each week, the injuries and the travel.  And while they are far from the finished product, there are plenty of signs of growth and improvement. Great result against NYRB last night. Their confidence is growing, and some of the football has been very strong. (And some has been frustrating). I still think they need some player upgrades, perhaps this summer, but I like how this team is coming together. Impressed by MDS so far.

I agree, and I also like that we are in every game, and that we had a great chance to win last night. 

Add to that having been screwed by a few reffing decisions, which Pro said had been wrong, and then plain bad luck, like the own-goal last night. 

Caps grind out another win. Two very nice goals, and some strong play here and there, but this was another strong, workmanlike effort from a team that is missing several key attacking pieces and who just played five games over 16 days. Inbeom looked quite a bit better in this game, and the Adnan and Venutto goals were well-taken. This team needs rest. At least they do not have another mid-week game. TFC on Friday, which should be another tight game, and then three weeks off. Excited to see what this team might look like with Reyna and Bangoura and Henry back, plus maybe a couple of shiny new pieces added in the summer. I hope Adnan sticks around; I hope his injury is minor.